• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chokes and steel shot[Ca.]

As I've re-introduced myself to upland bird hunting this past season, I used my 20 ga with Mod or switched to Imp Cyl, both 26''. But, being in Ca., I'll need to start using steel/non-toxic shot. So, went and bought a Mossberg 500 12ga to get more pellets downrange. As with my 20, I'll use #6 steel on Dove and Quail, probably steel 5's or 4's on Chukar. If Pheasant happen, #3's. These are my thoughts on our silly Ca. regulations. What do you bird hunters think? Thanks.

You are up a size or two from what I would use but with steel you probably need the added weight of the larger pellets.

No dove hunting here, thank's HSUS!!!! I tend to use 7.5/6's for grouse sized game and 6/5's for pheasant sized game, but I can use lead here.

Normally, I would use lead 7.5's for dove and quail, 6's for chukar and like you, 5's or 6's for pheasant.
But, alas, I'm in Ca. As my 870 is older, its 2.75" only. Might pick up a 3" 20 also. Need to play around with the 500 for a bit tho. Sure like those 20's!

Im a fan of the 20 as well. I picked up a 500 in 20ga a few years ago and its a nice light gun in the feld.

I've used the same as MikeD described. But it's so expensive for liscensing and then migratory bird permit so to just hunt dove isn't worth it. If I hunted waterfowl too it might be. But otherwise for quail, typically #6, and I've been experimenting with a Winchester load in #6 for turkey too. So few pheasants around here but #6 for those too.

It sux you're restricted to steel. Heavier than lead (but not Hevishot) is good stuff, but it's being phased out leaving only Hevishot. HTL allows using a smaller shot putting more pellets in each shell. It can also mean really dense patterns.

I haven't tried any of the Hevishot in smaller bird shot but its expensive.

Rossignol, haven't tried any Heavyshot, but, have tried some Federal "Speed-Shok" #6's on late season dove and quail. Works to perfection! Also bought some #4 "Speed-Shok" to try on chukar,but, couldn't find those rascals. This out of my 870W/M 20. Next season, the 500 12 will get a work out. And more than likely a 3" 20ga. I am already in search mode for a 20. Maybe another 500. What about those Maverick 88's? Model #32200.

I don't know that Hevishot is worth trying. It's so darned expensive and in truth, despite the hype, I have yet to see any real world proof or results of its performance.

There are a number of steel loads out there and technology may be catching up with demand. Try a few and see what works, just watch those choke tubes that you're using something rated for steel shot.

No Hevishot for me, like you said, too expensive when the Federal "Speed-Shok" seems to work fine for my intended use. I will be trying some others in the 500 tho.

Back