• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Considering a 464 SPX, please advise

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I have a couple friends adopting a baby. He is selling a number of firearms, the 464 SPX included. He'd like to get $400 for it in never fired condition with ammo.

The 464 really isn't on my radar and I've had another rifle in mind for a couple years now if ever I had the funds. I'd do it because it helps him and it would be in my possession and available if ever he wanted it back.

So I could use some pros and cons. I've been reading some and I haven't seen any major issues come up. Minor and relatively easy fixes if need be.

Also, is there after market support? I'd change the stock to a standard synthetic stock and maybe the big loop if its available, add a scope and perhaps better fiber optic rifle sights.

Anything I would need to know?

Sounds like a good cause and opportunity for you Brad...

I own a wood & blue steel Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF and it's my go to Pennsylvania Whitetail carbine...

Model: 464 SPX
Type: Lever-action repeating rifle
Caliber: .30-30 Winchester
Barrel: 16 1/4 inches; 1:10” RH; optional flash suppressor
Trigger: 7 lbs., 2 oz.
Magazine: Tubular; 5-round capacity
Sights: Adjustable fiber optic
Safety: Tang
Stock: Six-position adjustable synthetic stock
Overall Length:
33 ½” with stock collapsed; 37 1/2" extended
Weight: 7.0 lbs.
Metal Finish: Matte blue
Accessories: Tri-rail fore-end with rail covers gun lock
Suggested Retail Price: $535 ( Making retail around $425 )

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/10/4/mossberg-464-spx/

I could get into the 464, maybe not this time of year exactly. I'd much prefer a standard stock.

For those who have mounted scopes, any suggestions for rails or rings?

I could get into the 464, maybe not this time of year exactly. I'd much prefer a standard stock.

For those who have mounted scopes, any suggestions for rails or rings?
Hello Rossignol,
I have the 464SPX and mounted a scope using the see thru ring set from Kwik-Site. These rings are shaped like the figure eight, mount directly to the pre-drilled holes and allow you to see the gun sights thru the lower half. The advantage to me is that you can have the gun sights set for a close distance and use the scope for longer distance. The disadvantage is that since the rings mount directly to the receiver, scope removal (or swapping) is not easily done in the field and the rifle will not fit in one of the slender scabbards.

I have a set of Weaver bases for the Marlin 336 that I plan on drilling a new mounting hole so they can mount to the 464. This project will allow removal of the scope without taking it out of the rings.

Not much help with the stock. I haven't seen or found a standard style replacement for it so I am still using the factory one. I did put on a Magpul AR stock made for the commercial size buffer tube and it worked.

It is said that each gun has a unique personality and mine really likes the Hornady LeveRevolution 160gr. ammo.

Hope this helps, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year
Peace
Mark

Something better will come along, Brad.

Maybe one in .35 Remington so you can shoot cheap pistol bullets and a small powder charge at reduced velocity for small game and target practice/plinking.

Does it come with a 10 round magazine? :)

If it doesn't it should but sadly I believe the .30 caliber is a 5 round tubular fixed magazine.

Something better will come along, Brad.

Maybe one in .35 Remington so you can shoot cheap pistol bullets and a small powder charge at reduced velocity for small game and target practice/plinking.

I'm not sweating it. I had been entertaining ideas of being able to walk the corn and bean fields with a sweet lever action but I'll look again down the road.

You can find a JM stamped 336 Marlin for that. And in my opinion, a far better lever gun. My last one was a 30as, 3 bills out the door, in perfect condition .

JM stamped Marlin is a Marlin built before Remington purchased the company and let quality slip down the tubes. JM is stamped on the barrel near the receiver. Don't flame me, but I feel a Marlin is superior to a Winchester, though a prestige Winchester of age will fetch more on the market. I like the Henry as well, but am not a fan of the tube fed rifle.
Go over to marlinowners and poke around, lots of info.image.jpeg

I actually started looking at the 336 with that big loop. I almost never see used Marlins.

I actually started looking at the 336 with that big loop. I almher ost never see used Marlins.

I am considering selling one of my JM Marlins. I am planning on putting together a few pictures and info when I get back home on Sunday. If your are interested, I can PM you the information

I am considering selling one of my JM Marlins. I am planning on putting together a few pictures and info when I get back home on Sunday. If your are interested, I can PM you the information

I'd like to be interested but no way I can do anything right now. My wife, with help from my in laws, bought me a Kimber 1911 for Christmas so there will be no more guns for awhile, lol! I'm not too broken up about it. :)

Back