• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cylinder bore (18 1/2")

2.75 inch stuff beats me up enough. I don't usually mess with the 3 inchers. Even if either of my chambers supported 3 and half inchers I'd avoid those too. At indoor distances if your typical 2.75 buck or slug shell can't cut it your in serious poo already.

Still though Wrenches, keep amassing what you can comfortably afford when you can. If the poo does hit that fan you will be nice and ready. Having a few 3 inch shells handy might not be a bad idea especially if you have to take the fight outdoors and at greater ranges.

YMMV as usual.

"GunnyGene

True, but not the Power Shok. Just the MagShok I think. :)

Say what? :cool:

and here's my arsenal in a locked drawer. I have a metal desk so it's all metal. I can duck into it when the SHTF. :)

jgwills, I'm in San Antonio, just a couple of blocks from 410 and 281 south. Also that's what I had in mind for when SHTF. Hard to get pistol rounds but shotshells are aplenty. I'll be buying from time to time and stock up.

Wrenches said:
"GunnyGene

True, but not the Power Shok. Just the MagShok I think. :)

Say what? :cool:

I was talking about the 3 1/2" shells, which are available in Magshok, but not Powershok, according to Federals website.

Nice little safe you got there, btw. :) I keep most of mine in a wood ammo box I made. No kids around, and not worried about thieves. Without going into details, I'm a firm believer in defense in depth ;)

So your the one I have to beat first to all the good 12 gauge stuff in the area lol. J/K I'm usually responsible for depleting the stock at the Forum location specifically but I'm known to make unscheduled stops at other Academys around town if I'm already in the area for other errands etc...... Pawn shops too I might add which get me in trouble alot lol.

I'm over here on the NE end of town near Randolph AFB. I shoot either out at Bracken or Cedar Ridge for a legitmate range and we have access to a place in LV for shooting as well. I'll be honest out there its more just busting up random stuff and fun time but we still take safety very seriously at all times.

If you ever wanna meet up and put some downrange I'm always down. :D

Its nice to meet other forum members when you can.

Nice Sig by the way and something else I see hiding behind it.

Cheers
J

Sorry Gunny, I misunderstood ya. :)

jg, I get what I find. Almost all my ammo came from Walmart and then because of the shortage I started going to Academy. I didn't know that was a good store and I thought they were just sport clothing.

What you saw hiding under the Sig is my Sigma 9mm, the Sig is a 40. I shoot at A Place To Shoot which is a few miles on Pleasanton Rd outside of 410. It's a good place but pretty strict on safety and behavior. I'm ok with that and they run the jerks/idiots out quick.

By the way, they had a suicide a while back and now there are more ROs on site and more rules.

Wrenches said:
Sorry Gunny, I misunderstood ya. :)

My fault. I wasn't clear about it. :)

I do have to say one thing tho. Bad guys often wear body armor, so take that into account in your choice of ammo and aim point. #4buck won't penetrate it. Even 00 may not. Go for a unprotected spot - groin or head - and/or load alternating slug and buck. Remember, if you expect a fair fight your tactics suck. ;) :)

I know this isn't always practical, but I practice shooting at paper plates. I figure if I can hit them consistently, and almost always, then a head shot is easy by comparison. Aim small, miss small.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Though I hope I never have to find out, or am put into the situation where I am forced to make that decision.

John A. said:
I know this isn't always practical, but I practice shooting at paper plates. I figure if I can hit them consistently, and almost always, then a head shot is easy by comparison...

I am so glad that I am not the only one who does this!! Maybe not marksmanship training by any means, but it works!

Wrenches said:
I'm way ahead of you guys. I have plenty of practice. :D

Pretty good shootin' pardner. :D

I've known a few folks who for some strange reason, think the average B&E perp is a 5'5", 140lb wimp. More likely is a 6'6" 260lb gorilla, who's been pumping iron the last 5 years in the State Pen, and is fast, aggressive, experienced, and maybe hopped up on something.

I always plan for the worst case.

I agree Gunny and I think they should take the irons out of pens. Why make them more dangerous when they get out?

What the hell are they thinking? Give 'em books instead.

Wrenches, you're going to fit in really well here.

Nice shooting.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

centermass20and20one20for20good20measure_zps478cce16.jpg

memcarddump332_zps56ad4d7e.jpg

momandanthonyshootingshotgun004_zps34df4f0d.jpg

Couldn't get much closer to right between the eyes if I tried. :)

Well, went to Academy this morning hoping to find some flight control ammo, still ain't none. I picked up a slip on recoil pad and two more 5rd boxes of #4 so the trip ain't wasted.

Good grief, I picked up all this stuff and I still haven't fired the shotgun. I guess I have confidence in the 88. :mrgreen:

Wrenches said:
Well, went to Academy this morning hoping to find some flight control ammo, still ain't none. I picked up a slip on recoil pad and two more 5rd boxes of #4 so the trip ain't wasted.

Good grief, I picked up all this stuff and I still haven't fired the shotgun. I guess I have confidence in the 88. :mrgreen:

Well then I guess I'm gonna have to come meet you out at one of the local ranges and help remedy that situation. You can never have enough ammo though.

Current stash on hand so I have enough at the moment that I can afford to come expend a few rounds with you if you want soon. I usually have more on hand but its always too damned tempting to go shoot some of it which I usually wind up doing. I really like those orange boxed reduced recoil Brenneke slugs and at one point had probably 20-25 more boxes of them. With hardly any kick they were just too fun to pop off and now I regret that. I need to break down at some point and just buy a case of those to squirrel away for a rainy SHTF day.

If you should ever see any of them at any area Academy snag a few for yourself and please let me know as well. I haven't seen any there recently but have been patiently waiting for a restock. I think when you shoot a few you will see why it's so easy to go through them super quick. Otherwise shoot a few typical slugs and be done already for the day. I'll also find some more of those 100 rounder target load packs and we can go nuts busting up some clays. Just lemme know when is a good time to go for you and I'll see what I can do on my end.

I never saw any Brenneke here at my Academy (SW Military) but can you tell me about the Remington Express Buckshots? How are they?

You know, I never saw any value packs in here. I guess the Spartan 25rd boxes of 12 ga OOBKs were the best value I've seen so far.

I was looking at ammo boxes but $20 and up for plastic ?? I just got a cardboard box to hold my shells.

I'm willing to meet you at the range somewhere between us but for now I'm trying to fix my car. Yesterday I bought a $50 part that's common with the problem I'm having but didn't quite fix it. The check engine light came back on but it was running better than before but bad idle.

When I was at AutoZone I had them to pull a code off the car but they said the socket is messed up and they can't get a reading. I'm where I'm doing the process of elimination. I joined the Taurus forum and I'm getting lots of helpful tips. Probably be a while. I already picked up some anti-freeze and oil/filter to summerize my car. I replaced the fuel filter and the air filter earlier when my problem started.

Sigh, such is life.

Back