What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dad's old rifle

rman

.22LR
In my member introduction I mentioned an old Mossberg .22 semi-auto that I learned to shoot with. It's been too many years and I can't for the life of me remember what model it was. I believe it was some variation of a 151.

It had a hooded front sight with 2 or 3 different posts like the one in this post:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossy-151m-not-advancing.12623/

but had a schnable-type forend like the one in this post:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-151k.3167/

If I remember correctly, the rear sight was open, and it had knobs that adjusted both windage and elevation. Can anyone help me figure out what it was?

You might want to give the Havlin's a call. They are the pros when it comes to older Mossberg's.
(636) 937-6401

Thanks for the link. It's been 45 years since I last saw that old rifle. My memory isn't as good as it once was. After doing a lot of looking, I'm thinking that the rifle was a Wards Western Field made by Mossberg. That complicates things even more. I was mistaken about the Schnabel fore end. After searching what little is left of my mental database, I think the front 2-3 inches was narrower than the rest - kind of like what I think a 151-M would look like without the metal piece that covers the joint between the stock and the extended fore end. It was finished though, so I don't think it was just missing the fore piece. The closest thing I saw in your link was a Model 51. That looks a lot like it, but I don't remember it having a cheek piece and it definitely didn't have the peep sight.

Usually the ones without a peep were stamped with a K after the model number. So it could have been a 151K, however that did have a Schnabel fore end. Maybe it was sanded off? Or the peep could have been removed?