• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dove hunting 2015

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
This is the first time I've seen the dove population up in numbers enough during season to consider hunting. In fact, I haven't seen this many since I was maybe 10 years old or so.

In recent years, as long as I've been paying attention, there just weren't many out there during the season and it seemed we always saw more during the winter.

I was scouting an area last weekend with my daughter and just after a guy stopped and asked if we had seen any (I answered no) we flushed a bunch from the brush. Over and over again in fact.

Anyone have any recipes? Has anyone tried wrapping with bacon?

I like the classic dove recipe with de-veigned jalapeno and cream cheese and then bacon wrapped and grilled Texas Style. A tiny bit of honey inside the jalapeno (which isn't hot since the seeds and membrane is gone) is nice with the bacon crisped wrapper.

We have had an ass-load of them down here so this fall I think I'm going to get out the Browning Gold Fusion and bust me some more just so I can enjoy the food.

Just looked at Ohio DNR. It's a $25 additional tag for each hunter which honestly isn't worth it for me. The tag is good for migratory bird to include sucks and geese but we don't hunt those. I can't justify $50 dollars for a couple meals.

I don't hunt sucks either. ;-D

Your're right about the volume of dove seen this season...as I have two bird feeders in the back and there have been quite a few coveys hanging around the bottom

which feed off the kicked out seeds falling from the trays. Dove is good eatin' !!

===========================

Baked Dove with Bacon
8 Doves
8 Bacon, slices
Salt & pepper to taste
Water

~ Wrap bacon slice around each de-boned dove breast. Place in shallow baking dish and add salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

============================

Barbecued Dove
8 Dove breasts
1/2 minced Yellow onion
1/2 c Catsup
1/3 c Brown sugar
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tb Worcestershire sauce
1 tb Vinegar or lemon juice
6 dr Tabasco sauce, or more!

~ Combine in a mixing bowl and stir. Brush sauce on breasts repeatedly as they cook on the grill. Grill 3 to 5 minutes, then turn and grill another minute. Serve with wild rice.

Caribe-Coated Roast Doves
8 Dove Breasts
1/2 c Fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 ts Dried mexican leaf Oregano; crushed
2 tb Caribe (crushed N. New Mexico hot red chile)
2 Cloves garlic; crushed
4 Sprigs parsley; minced fine
1/3 c Olive oil
1/2 c Dry white wine; or more, as needed

~ Preheat oven to 350. Combine crumbs, oregano, caribe, garlic & parsley. Thoroughly clean doves, rinse & pat dry. Brush each with oil, then roll in crumb mixture, patting in crumbs & covering each bird as completely as possible. Place a rack in a roasting pan large enough to hold birds with room for air circulation around each. Pour wine into bottom of pan, then place birds on rack. Cover & roast 2 hours, basting frequently, until doves are tender, wiggle thigh joint to test (it should move easily). Watch level of wine; if wine evaporates, add more as needed during roasting. Serve whole with rice.

=============================

Florida Barbecue Dove-Kabobs
8 Dove breasts
3 md Onions
1 lg Bell pepper
Teriyaki sauce
Cherry tomatoes
Mushrooms

~ Marinate breasts in teriyaki sacue for 1 hour. Save the sauce. Quarter onions. Cut bell pepper into 2-inch chunks. Skewer all ingredients on wooden skewers, alternating them. Barbecue until dove is tender, basting with sauce.

=============================

Doves with Apple Dressing
12 ea Doves; cleaned
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1/2 c ; water
1/3 c Butter
2 tb Lemon juice
1 tb All-purpose flour
1/2 c ; water
1/2 ts Beef-flavored bouillon granules

Apple Dressing
3 c Crumbled cornbread
2 c Cooking apples; peeled and chopped
1/2 c Celery; chopped
1 sm Onion; chopped
1/4 c Butter or margarine; melted
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Poultry seasoning
1/2 c Milk
1 ea Egg; beaten

~ Place doves in a large skillet. Sprinkle salt and pepper over doves. Pour 1/2 cup water into skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Remove cover, and continue cooking until most of water is gone. Add butter and lemon juice to doves. Cook doves, turning occasionally, until browned. Remove doves, and set aside. Add flour to drippings in skillet; cook over low heat until lightly browned; stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water and bouillon granules; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Arrange 2 doves over each square of Apple Dressing, and spoon gravy over top.

~ Apple Dressing: Combine all ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cut into 6 squares.

We used to take a gallon bag of marinade to the field with us. build a little fire. the ones we shot on the first round we would just pull the breast out, and marinade while we shot the next round. then cook them over the fire. always a nice little snack while we hunted.

Smashed them in Texas.

bc50768ea7e937425e07dc66cf3f5373.jpg

6817f098f3c484a09946f4b2d83fbe1d.jpg

cbe4884d96eaa16018814866d0c07438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back