• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dry fire = locked forend

4n2t0

.22LR
I recently purchased a Mossberg 535 and I have a small problem. After cycling the action and dry firing the shotgun the forend gets locked. I can't manipulate the action lock lever because it stays fully depressed after pulling the trigger. I'm not new to shotguns but this is my first Mossberg. Will this problem go away with use? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4n2t0 said:
I recently purchased a Mossberg 535 and I have a small problem. After cycling the action and dry firing the shotgun the forend gets locked. I can't manipulate the action lock lever because it stays fully depressed after pulling the trigger. I'm not new to shotguns but this is my first Mossberg. Will this problem go away with use? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the forum from NY. Congrats on your New 535. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Is the gun new? Has it been taken apart and cleaned ?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The shotgun is brand new, never fired. I've only changed the barrel so far, it's a combo.

Tear it down and give it a good cleaning. Mossberg seems to send them out dirty from the factory.
Here's a good video if you need it,,,,,
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

Keep us posted.

I stripped, cleaned, and reassembled the shotgun. It loosened up some and I'm now able to dry fire without having the forend lock up on me.

Now I'm off to find some cheap turkey loads that will pattern well, lol.

Thanks for you help!

4n2t0 said:
I stripped, cleaned, and reassembled the shotgun. It loosened up some and I'm now able to dry fire without having the forend lock up on me.

Now I'm off to find some cheap turkey loads that will pattern well, lol.

Thanks for you help!

Glad to hear it loosened up some. :)

Give the innards a LIGHT coat of oil.

With the gun empty cycle the gun using the action lever. See if this gets it to rack easier.

Back