• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dry firing?

I cant say for sure on the 464, but generally, as long as it fires a round with a primer via a firing pin, dry firing is ok.

Yep, I dry fire my guns quite a bit actually. I have done it, and had my daughter practice also, dry firing my 1911 .45. My hope is that by dry firing and learning to squeeze the trigger withoutmoving the sights off target, we're learning to not anticipate recoil. We learn by muscle memory to expect no recoil.

Its not a surogate for practice, but it has helped us early on with some of the issues we had.

Thats the long answer. The short answer is;

No. Not a no-no. You can dry fire an empty chamber. Again, I'm not familiar with the 464 so take my advice for what its worth.

From what I heard and I do not know how accurate this is, but dry firing become a no-no from the days when the handgun or rifle first came out with percussin caps. Back then and now days dry firing a rifle that uses percussin caps damaged the nipple when the hammer strikes it to a point where it would not fire. Thus the term dry firing was a no-no :ugeek:

Back