• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Essentials and Consumables...

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
If any of us ever have to get the heck out, we have to carry a bare minimum of supplies and equipment.

We cant load down like a pack mule, if you need that much, then it should probably be in a "bug in" safe house or shelter. But you cant move quickly and efficiently carrying 100's of pounds of gear.

There are essentials you always need, and of other things should probably have enough for a few days of travel I'd think. But how many MRE's can you carry? Some of the stuff we carry will get burned up and used, "consumables".

So what do you consider essential gear, must haves at all times?

What consumables would you carry and how much?

I kinda feel the first few days to a week will be critical. Keep your head, think clearly and at least make educated decisions. So easy to carry foods and water. This period in my mind is no time to be dehydrated. It may take a few or several days to get clear of highly populated and city areas, but moving could be slow if infrastructer is a parking lot and youre avoiding main travel routes.

So what are we talking? MRE's, protien and energy bars? Thing with food is it requires water to digest so I wouldnt wanna over do it either, but carbs and protiens sure. Water is a must, I like hydration packs or easy to carry canteens like mil-surp collapsable canteens.

For the water, purification tablets would probably be necessary initially until a clean source is found, or until more can be purified by straining and boiling. There are hand held purifiers, but thats room that may have to give way to other more important essentials.

So whats essential?

Fire is one. There are threads already detailing what products people rely on, but almost all of these things get consumed in time. Though there is also the recipe for the homemade fire starters which with some good finds along the way can be reproduced. But again, initially, everyone should probably have some redundancy in their fire starting plan with an ability to start fire in any condition.

First aid? At least some basic stuff but probably some emergency stuff to like trauma bandages, maybe even sutures, hemostats, and needles. Which reminds me, I think some minor pain meds too. Antibiotics will probably be scarce in a short period of time, so pack some. Antibiotics, alcohol swabs, bandages...

Clothes, just a few changes and enough socks to rotate through and enough to deal with changing weather.

I'm gonna go ahead and say firearms and ammo. Some here have vast collections, or at least enough that not every firearm can be carried. But I feel there should be a firearm for every able body and pair of hands, plus a back up or two. If you dont have ammo and cant get ammo, I wouldnt carry it. I would however carry as much ammo as possible for each firearm.

Heres a thought on firearms and ammo. We have several firearms which use the same ammunition which kinda simplifies things. It may also come down to a cost/benefit analysis of weight and space taken vs. what else can the space be used for. But I wanna be able to defend whats mine, and possibly be able to get what we need. Firearm owners are said to represent about 1/3 of the population. That means the other 2/3 have stuff I may want or need.

Communication... I go back and forth on this. While major communication systems may be down, permanently, there are handheld radios which operate independantly of any broadcast system or cell system. I think there may be times, I myself for example, would seperate to scout ahead. I'd want those that are mine to alert me of danger from behind or some presence seprating us, or emergency I have to return to. Or I'd want to let them know its ok to advance. I dunno and cant predict circumstances, but I can see pros in having close communication. There are cons too, like an alert over the radio giving away one's presence.

That brings up another consumable, batteries. Theyre small, but you can only carry so many and they wont last forever and will likely disappear fast in an emergency "bug out" scenario. Should we become reliant on things that wont last? We can adapt now, or later.

I know this isnt comprehennsive. There are many more things and each of us will have packs and plans tailored to our individual need, climate and living conditions, but we can share ideas to benefit one another as I'm sure we all over look stuff.

The CDC said to be prepared for Zombies and youll be prepared for anything. I'd like to add the best laid plans will likely fail us as we cant predict every scenario. So among the the essentials, our wits about us and ingenuity are perhaps the most valuable. The ability to improvise and adapt will likely benefit us more than any equipment we carry or any plan we construct. We may not face Zombies, but it could be terrorism, either foreign or domestic, a complete fracturing of the govt and economy, an attack from the "evil axis" because they see our weakened economy and divided govt, something like a "Jericho" situation... Who knows.

What else can we add?

I want to elaborate real quick on the ammo as essential and some other options.

Firearms and ammunition. It serves a few purposes. Not the least of which is self defense, but also as one goes on the ofense to procure food or shelter or other needs. That is however probably a desperate measure and not in the best interest of self preservation in dire times. At least not by ones self.

I think more importantly the firearm is a tool for hunting.

Heres the part I wanted to expand on really;
Owning firearms in popular chamberings will likely be an advantage. It may be hard to find .303 for your Enfield, or 8mm for the Mauser, or even 10mm for the HK MP5. 9mm shouldnt be hard to find, most revolver ammo especially .38 exists in large numbers. .40 is getting increasingly more popular. 6.8 SPC? Probably not.

The firearm is at least in my mind a first choice for hunting. But what about when ammo is hard to find, or one is rationing because its running low? A few other "essentials" may include fishing line or wire and hooks. Paracord too.

I think these could be considered essentials because theyre small, easily and compactly carried, and aid survival by helping to provide food. Setting snares can catch food passively while you rest, saves ammo, and is far more quiet than gun fire.

Good post. It seems that what you're doing is asking what are the priorities for my BOB or, perhaps a 96 Hour Kit? It also seems that you're looking at a man-mobile kit - one that doesn't require a vehicle to carry. I'd say you've established a pretty good set of priorities. However, I didn't see anywhere where you addressed clean air.

Remember the Rule of Threes:
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
3 months without hope

Remembering the Rule of Threes always helps me prioritize the things that I put into a kit - whether it's a get-home bag (GHB) or a kit that will support me for a week or two.

All of my BOB's have N95 masks and bandannas in them. While they're not perfect, they're better than nothing. They would keep out ash from massive fires or a volcano eruption. They might keep out airborne pathogens to a certain extent.

After the masks and bandannas, comes shelter - especially in the colder months. All of my GHB's and BOB's have emergency bivvies and "space" blankets in them. I make sure to buy higher-quality stuff like the ones in my EDC kits. Adventure Medical carries good stuff. You might also want to include a few other shelter-making components like paracord, etc.

I'm also a big fan of water bladders. You can carry more water more conveniently and comfortably with a bladder than you can with any canteen that I know of. Each of our BOB's have a 2 liter water bladder. In each bladder's MOLLE pack is a package of water purification tablets that will treat 12 liters of water. That's more than a gallon a day for three days. I also carry a Katadyn Hiker water filter/pump in my BOB. Assuming I'm not separated from my family, we can pump thousands of gallons of water with that filter/pump.

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot in my BOB's that requires batteries. Flashlights and a cell phone are the two biggest exceptions. All of my BOB flashlights utilize three AAA batteries. Each pack has nine AAA batteries in a zip-lock back. I carry three charging cables for the BOB cell phone - an AC cable, a 12 volt cigarette lighter cable and a USB cable. The USB cable can be plugged into a solar/crank charger that I carry in my pack.

I also don't carry a lot of food in a 72 hour BOB - maybe half a dozen Clif bars and a couple MRE's or freeze-dried meals.

I don't carry weapons or ammo in my GHB's or BOB's but I've been reconsidering that. I've been thinking about some vacuum-wrapped "battle packs" of my primary calibers in each bag.

One of my guiding principals;
Its easier to carry what you can wear.

Mud, Thanks for the reply and thought given to clean air! I hadnt thought of that in this case, though I had considered gas masks and filters.

Yes, youre correct. I'm thinking worst case being mobile and potentially ending up on foot, what can one realistically carry, how do you plan and prioritize?

I too have packs with water bladders for hydration, each is 3 liters. I defer to it being easier to carry what you can wear.

You know I have my Mudinyeri EDC! :D I carry it all the time! I have the space blanket you mentioned and as you suggested, I also have roughly 250' of paracord for things from snares to hoisting and shelter.

Double duty items are a personal favorite. I have rain ponchos, heavy pvc, with grommets. They can also serve as tarps or shelter when lashed together with paracord.

So, obviously these thing take space and cost weight too.

This thread is dedicated to rationing, or rationalizing, what to cary.

I like the idea of vacuum packing some equipment too, and a small poratable water purify has got to be a plus!

The forever flashlights can minimize the amount of batteries carried, or at least ensure the alotted batteries carried can be dedicated to other devices... battery operated 2 way radios? The crank charger is a REALLY good idea! Cell service and electricity may/could be out altogther. Those who have rechargable 2 way radios could still have means to use them.

Some real good ideas in there Mud!

Another way to lighten your carried load is to learn to make the things you need from what is available around you. Need twine or rope? Use Dog Bane or Milk Weed. Bushcraft and Urbancraft are two major skill areas that can help you immensely in the event of a worst-case scenario.

Back