• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Farmington Man Holds Burglary Suspect At Gunpoint

There has been a major rise in burglaries here in NH, and as you all know I was one of the victims in June. I read this and I have so many mixed emotions about the story I haven't decided where I land on it yet. He did leave his home and go looking for the guy and that is the part that bothers me. On the other hand, he did catch the guy, or at least SOMEONE doing the same thing.

I am about to catch a 14 hour flight to Canada for work for a whirlwind week long tour of BC. I will check in where I can to see your opinions.

Read the story HERE

For the non-clicky types...

"FARMINGTON, N.H. -- A Farmington man is creating plenty of buzz around town after he said he tracked down a burglary suspect and held him at gunpoint until police could arrive.
"I fired into the ground, to the left of him," Dennis Fleming said. "There was nothing but woods behind him. I've owned guns my whole life and I pretty much was sure what I was doing."
Fleming said his home on Ten Rod Road had been burglarized Saturday afternoon. He said personal belongings were stolen, and instead of calling police, he picked up his gun and spoke with neighbors to see if they had seen the suspect around.
Flemming said shortly after he heard a loud sound coming from a neighbor's home, and saw a man running out back.
"I saw the guy, he crash-banged out of a house right down the road here and I happened to see," Flemming added. "I approached him with a gun, told him to stop, fired a warning shot."
Neighbors called 911 and police quickly arrested 27-year-old Joseph Hebert. Police said Hebert is accused of breaking into two homes on the street within a short period of time Saturday.
"He was very apologetic," Fleming noted. "It was just too bad it happened."
Neighbors applauded Fleming.
"For what little we have nowadays and people just come and take what you got, I think it was good that someone finally did something about it," said David Bernardini, who lives nearby.
But police were not as happy, and later arrested Flemming Saturday night on a felony reckless conduct charge. The charge came because the shot had been fired.
Fleming was released on personal recognizance. He said was only trying to protect the neighborhood, but admits he should have approached it differently.
"You're supposed to call the police, but I was so mad because I felt so violated, that I just went looking for the guy and i shouldn't have done that," he said. "I should've just called the police."
Police said Fleming acted in the wrong. Flemming will appear in court next month to answer the felony charge.
Hebert is scheduled to be arraigned later this week. In addition to the two burglary charges, police said Hebert is also facing a felony charge."

Sadly here in MI, the victim would have been arrested for drawing and shooting when there was no immediate threat.

Part of me really wishes the castle doctrine applied to protecting personal property as well.

I am with the homeowner. I carry my pistol daily to protect, my home, my family, my community, and myself. The homeowner did wrong by firing a warning shot. He was not arrested for stopping the burglary. ( being committed in a neighbors house). He is being charged for firing a warning shot. As a gun owner I teach my family members never to let people know they are packing. Never pull a gun on someone unless you feel threatened. Never shoot unless you mean to kill. The homeowner should be let go with a warning and a copy of the gun laws in hand. :)

If I was the homeowner that was arrested, I wouldn't have posted bail so I could stay and kick the burglers ass daily while waiting for my hearing.

Sorry, but I'm a man that can hold a grudge like nobody else.

John A. said:
If I was the homeowner that was arrested, I wouldn't have posted bail so I could stay and kick the burglers ass daily while waiting for my hearing.

Sorry, but I'm a man that can hold a grudge like nobody else.
That is the dilemmai find myself in. the homeowner shouldn't have fired a shot, but he did catch the criminal as a result. Hard to pick a side for me.

Yea, that is a tough one. Good job on catching the dude, but don't throw away your personal freedoms just to scare the guy.

This is a hard call, what if the BG killed someone in the last house and you let him run away not knowing this. I think this calls for a backup gun that you hide before the police gets there. I know for a fact that police officers carried back up guns when I was on the force, which was a long time ago. We as a country need to make sure that our elected officials change the laws so that ANYONE that does this is not prosecuted or held libel for restraining a BG, PERIOD.

Back