• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal 12ga TRUBALL HP Rifled Slug

catnphx

.270 WIN
Anybody use the Federal 12GA 1oz HP Slugs in their 590A1 from a 18" barrel? I'm thinking about storing some as another option for my 590A1 (cylinder bore). For HD, I currently use Federal 00 w/ Flitecontrol Wad but was looking at the low recoil (1,300 FPS) slugs too (but not for HD). What are your thoughts on these?

Edit: These are LEB127LRS.

Federal's Tactical® TruBall® Rifled Slug provides an amazing accuracy improvement for smoothbore shotguns. The unique TruBall system locks the components together, centering the slug in the barrel. This unique system promotes clean separation of components after muzzle exit to ensure greater down-range accuracy. TruBall is capable of 2" groups at 50-yards—more like what you'd expect of sabot slugs shot from a rifled barrel. Federal Tactical Slugs also feature an all brass head for improved extraction and ejection and a blue hull for easy visual identification. The TruBall Rifled Slug ushers in a new generation of rifled slug systems and provides the confidence you need in standard police shotguns.
LEB127LRS.jpg

Can't say I ever used that particular load, or even shot a rifled slug out of my smooth bore Mossberg 500...

But when you give it a test run, please post the results for us !! Take some pics too !! I would like to know how they perform.

Hi.

That's exactly what I have in my 590 at my home and in my 500 in my work car. I talked my Chief into buying it by the case for our department and every single officer has reported they are extremely pleased with it. Our prior department slug ammo was X12RS15 Winchester Super-X 1600-fps in the silver-gray box.

The low recoil is some pretty serious medicine for home and self defense and for law enforcement as well. Accuracy is what I would call as good as one can hope for from Foster-type slugs, right up there with some of the Brenneke slugs that have the integral base wad. Tru-Ball is measureably more accurate than most any other 1-oz Foster slug on the market and the price isn't much higher for it.

There's no reason in the world why two-legged aggressors would be significantly less injured with the low-recoil Tru-Ball version than a 1600-fps 1-oz slug. Why in the world would you think "not for HD"? Police Officers all over America are carrying this shell with total confidence that it will take the fight out of any two-legged aggressor. Federal didn't label it "Law Enforcement" without significant LEO input I can assure you. The only reason I can think of for opting toward the 1600-fps model is for something like Alaskan Bear or something equally implausible.

It's the good schidt. For fun, for practice, for serious training, and for real SHTF stuff.

Rossignol and some others know that I carry my duty 500 with nothing but this load throughout the mag tube. I have 00 Buck (Flite-Control Tactical) on the butt cuff. Nothing beats a slug for precision and power, and no slug beats a Federal Tru-Ball Low Recoil Law Enforcement 1-ounce slug for personal defense.

But Oli has got some home brew that is probably equally good!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, nitesite, I'll pick some up and give it a whirl and if I like it I'll start "collecting" some of this too.

Regarding using this slug (or any slug) for HD, well, I live in a stucco home and I'm concerned that it will go right through my home, my brick wall, and through my neighbors home before it comes to rest; my 00 won't do this. I may be wrong but it does concern me.

Thanks again!!

We need to talk. Your "expectations" are far removed from reality. Slugs are made of VERY soft lead and with their large diameter a slug is actually very unlikely to blow thru the barriers you are concerned with.

For conversation starters, your 12-ga slug won't even leave your home let alone your brick wall and your neighbors house.

Check out the boxotruth.com please..........

nitesite said:
We need to talk. Your "expectations" are far removed from reality. Slugs are made of VERY soft lead and with their large diameter a slug is actually very unlikely to blow thru the barriers you are concerned with.

For conversation starters, your 12-ga slug won't even leave your home let alone your brick wall and your neighbors house.

Check out the boxotruth.com please..........

I picked up a couple of boxes at the LGS today ... I'll give them a try next time I'm at the range. I was actually surprised a little (and only 3 weeks old) shop had the LE slugs. They were the 1,600 FPS version (LEB127RS).

I like these too! They arent a disturbing load to use and dont rattle the teeth in your head!

Though I load mine opposite of NiteSites, 00 buck with the TruBall on hand.

I agree accuracy is well within, if not above, expectation of a foster slug. The only other load that comes close for whatever reason is Winchester Ranger. (in my experience which admittedly is somewhat limmited)

I prefer to keep mine on hand for anything longer than say 20 to 25 yards. They arent my first choice as an HD load, but I defer to NiteSites wisdom, knowledge, and experience here. He has far more practical and working knowledge of the TruBall than i do. I will say I see no need for the full power load, and in my case my daughter especially is able to handle the low recoil 12 ga loads.

I do highly recommend them! Heck even for hunting!

I was looking at these for next deer season. Especially the 1300fps loads. I was using your standard walmart Remington Express 1560fps and 1800fps rifled slugs. They're cheap and accurate but I'm on the market for something with a bit less recoil.

I have a bunch of standard Tru-Ball in 12 gauge set back for whatever, and I deer hunt with the 20 gauge version out of my SKB M-7300 pump. At 50 yds I got a 2 inch group. Very pleased. The deer hate them though!
At $5 a box I grab it whenever I see it too!

Thats not a bad price on those at all! I'd pick up a box every time I walked by at that price! The feed store in town sometimes has em for $5.99 in the full power VitalShok version.

nitesite said:
Brad,

Do you ever sleep??????????? :lol:

Sn3aKyGuY said:
:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one that wonders that.

Most commonly at night... you know, like most folks do! :D

MossLvR said:
Will be looking to test these for range shooting at 50 meters....

You'll like em, I've done rather well with them at 50 yards! I dont do alot of slug shooting, but I've grouped them to within a few inches at that range! To me thats in the kill zone I'm aiming for on game. ;)

I have not shot them in the 12 yet, But my 20 gauge deer gun loves them. Hands down the most accurate Foster type slug I have ever fired.

Back