• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Filling a 702 buttstock with spare rounds?

Tom396

.30-06
I just had the butt plate off of my 702 plinkster (.22lr). There is a mighty big void in there that could be used for storage. Maybe storage of .22lr rounds? But I wouldn't what them rattling around in there, too much. Not only an irritating sound, but maybe even the possibility of a shell lighting off. Suggestions? Take care. Tom Worthington

I would not worry about a round going off but the rattle would be annoying, though no more so than that of a BB gun.

I was thinking of maybe putting some cotton balls in first, and then packing the rounds in there as tightly as possible. Still looking for other ideas, though. Thanks and take care. Tom Worthington

Got me curious how big is the hole in the stock? First thing that comes to mind is 35mm film cannisters or maybe an m&m minis tube? quarters fit in the m&m tube couldn't hurt to try at least you'll get a snack out of it :)

You should be able to cut a piece of styrofoam to fit in the hole, and poke .22 size holes in it for the ammo.

Put the rounds in a ziplock and squeeze as much air out of it as you can before you zip it up, then place in the stock. The rattle should be diminished. And I don't think they could ever go off that way either.

I've kept loose 22 in plastic Gatorade bottles for years.

Got me curious how big is the hole in the stock? First thing that comes to mind is 35mm film cannisters or maybe an m&m minis tube? quarters fit in the m&m tube couldn't hurt to try at least you'll get a snack out of it :)

The entire stock is hollow. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get 100 rounds in there. I could definitely get my television remote in there. :) Talk about a survival item. :D Take care. Tom Worthington

Fill it with lead shot--now THAT would be a very soft recoiling rifle! :D And build up your biceps at the same time!:p

I said to heck with it and just started pouring them in. There are now 300 rounds in the buttstock, and there is probably still room for about 50 more. :D Take care. Tom Worthington

The small compartment behind the trigger has a removable cap as well and even more room inside the rifle.

I was set to test my 702 out as a 'survival' gun - made a list and bought the items from wire saw to space blanket and much more - including ammo.

Like many projects - it sat, waiting for 'free time'.

Then I decided to upgrade the scope on the gun which changed the site picture - so I designed a Kydex stock riser to get my cheek weld back. That put two bolts straight through the open interior butt stock.

I'm on the phone now but I'll post current pics of the gun and the list of items I hoped would fit in the gun.

Time to revisit those possibilities!!!

So here's the 702 with the newer scope and cheek riser:

AND - the items (stripped down and portioned of course) - thought I had a list but most should be obvious. The mini compass is missing. The whistle and multi tool are hard to make out. The space blanket and HD trash bag too.

With bolts running through the center of the butt void - a re-think is in order either for contents OR attachment of the kydex riser.

The molle pouch on the sling holds 5 full mags - 50 rounds there.

Note the compartment behind the trigger is 1.25" longer - a Bondo and sheet steel mod.

(rice)

(duct tape on pencil)

(storage in process)

Well - I have to bolt the cheek weld on differently if I hope to get that ALL in (with packing removed etc. ).

Work in progress BUT new life seeing the OP pouring massive amounts of ammo in his!!

I have 50 rounds in the mags on the molls pack on the sling. 75 or so more will fit in the extended section behind the trigger.

I'm sure I'll get down to prioritizing - probably run a poll when I'm stumped about what to keep and what to jettison!!

I squeezed in the last few rounds by shaking the rifle and filling every void I could. I also filled up the small compartment behind the trigger. Using my finger as a balance beam, the balance point now appears to be right at the rear of the trigger guard. Also, when I shake the rifle, the loudest rattle comes from the charging handle and not from the loose ammo. Take care. Tom Worthington

I've been thinking about this....instead of just having a pile of em floating around in there, here's my idea...

List of material...
Expanding foam for windows and doors. (Not the big crack filler stuff.)
McDonalds straws. Or eqevalent size to circumference of lip on casing.
Tape.
Cork.
Scissors.
Vise.

Cork one end of each straw. Bundle them up to fit the most amount of tubes together and able to fit inside stock. Cut them to fit as the stock narrows up in size. Tape them together cork side inside stock. Make sure but pad fits.
Put bullets in each tube to hold shape.
Put stock in vice butt up.

Spray foam in stock making sure tubes don't move out of stock.

Think it'll work?

,,,ya got me to thinking,,,,how about some shrink tubing(nice and flexible) and just continue to fill tube and push it into the stock to fill it up.

just another log on the fire...;)

Either or.....I just said straws cuz a handfull are cheap to get....

Back