• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Shotgun

Fenrir

.22LR
Hey everyone it's a noobie here :D I was recently at a local gun dealer looking for a home defense shotgun, and he recommended a Mossberg 590 (I believe it was short barreled with a heat shield) and I fell in love with it at once. But sense I don't have any real experience with buying weapons i was wondering if any of you could give me advice on it. Standard questions like is it a good weapon? Are there better ones out there? Is the tac light it came with necessary? Things like that. I appreciate any help I can get.

The 590 is a great gun for HD, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one. It's been used and is still used by the US military and many law enforcement agencies. It's very reliable and will outlast you if you take care of it.

As far as the light, it's nice to have but not required. A lot of people add them to their guns to help ID targets in low/no light situations. It's kind of a personal preference thing.

There are many aftermarket accessories for it if you want to change ior customize anything after the fact.

If you ever decide to use the gun for hunting, the 835 barrel can be used (accepting 2 3/4 and 3" shells only, no 3 1/2 magnums)).

Its a fine firearm for HD/SD!

I can't really add anything useful to what MikeD has already said, I have one myself, a 20", and have even hunted birds with it!

The light? I have one. It isn't so much for navigation as much as identifying the bump in the night. It has its purpose and is a personal preference.

Welcome to MO!!!

Thanks guys! And would the light give away the element of surprise? Because in my head if the light is on before you find the bad guy you give away your' position, and if you turn it on after you find him you can startle them into making a rash choice, like start using their gun (if they have one) like a bullet hose.

Also I noticed a 590A1 on Rossignol's YouTube page, what does the A1 add to the 590 and what other variations are there?

What's the price? Will they sell it without the light? Tac light = what? Make model, cost? It's a nice option to have and you do not HAVE to turn it on unless you feel it gives you an advantage. Night vision is expensive - lasers, meh. I'm not the first to say 'if it's lit - it's hit!'. At ant rate it's a great starting place for SD / HD!!

Tac light = Tactical light it was a bright light that also had a strobe setting. And it was going to be about $600. And I don’t think that they would sell it without the light but I could take it off if I wanted to and I could use it as a flash light. Any other questions just ask :D

Fenrir said:
Also I noticed a 590A1 on Rossignol's YouTube page, what does the A1 add to the 590 and what other variations are there?

To meet Department of Defense requirements, the 590A1 is built with a heavy walled barrel, metal trigger housing, and metal safety. There are several model configurations in both 590 and 590A1, but the 590A1 is the only variant of the 590...

The "upgrades" were intended for use by the Dept. of the Navy where contact between plastic parts and ship's bulkheads didn't end well for the firearm. The heavy walled barrel is also less likely to be dinged, dented, or bent on contact...

There are a number of variations, though you wouldn't know by OFM's new web site.

Just about any imaginable configuration with either a 20" or 18 1/2" barrel. The shorter barreled guns will have a 5 round magazine and 20" guns have an 8 round magazine.

There are heatshields, adjustable stocks, stocks that hold more rouns, sets that include a bayonet, ghost ring sights/ either LPA or OFM factory, rifle sights, bead sights, railed forends and standard ribbed forends. The A1's will always have the extra metal parts and heavy profile barrel. What do these add? These were added to the design at the specific request of the US Navy as I understand. These things are intended to beef up the design to prevent damage due to bein repeatedly knocked around. I also have a couple 500's and have yet to break any of these pieces in plastic form. Still love my A1!!!

The light is def an aftermarket part. Before you buy, you may wanna look up that specific model number and seethe MSRP at least. Now if it isn't that important and you like it just the way it is then go for it! Its worth whatever its worth to you! :D

Oh! The light! Yes it can give you away. It isn't meant to navigate, ID and make a split decision. That's how I view it. Friend or foe, then decide what needs to happen. It may sound weird but I know I'm not alone when I say I practice clearing my house. With practice, your brain processes and decides what to do way faster than we can describe or read it here. If you use a light and decide. To illuminate a target, you either recognize the target or decide its a threat and elimiate it. If its a threat to my family, to my wife and children, I see no reason to hesitate so I don't worry about giving away my position. That and everyone I know, knows not to let themselves into my home in the midle of the night.

So the light will be useful in IFF (Identify Friend Foe) and the metal parts make it a bit more durable and a lil heavier. What about the heat shield? will it actually help with me not burning my fingers and is an actually sight better than just a bead on the end of the barrel?

Yep, I use the light for quick id only and not for targetting.

The metal parts do in theory make it more durable.

There a number of folks here who have heatshields and say they def help.

Now, I like a bead sight just fine but on my A1 I swapped out to a Meprolight tritium dot. It has a slightly taller profile than a factory bead. Its also way easier to pick up when targetting!

So it sounds like all in all the 590 is a great weapon to buy. I will most definitely keep this in mind when i get some extra money so I can buy one. :D

I looked at the 590A1 on the Mossberg site, and none of them had a heat shield. Can you buy one aftermarket?

Ahhh, the heatshields are available on the 590s but not on the A1s. You'd have to look at the 590 special purpose models.

Re: Addressing low light and no light conditions

Hello,

Very new to this and hope to purchase my first shotgun, likely a Mossy 500, this winter. I'm used to rifles.

Having never used a shotgun, I have a question on the sight - is it only a front bead or is there a rear sight as well?

Knowing this is an HD-specific section of the forum, could you indulge me by telling me if you could still use that tritium bead for some light field work such as recreationally busting up some clays at a range, or a walk through the woods with an appetite for squirrel, rabbit, or some varieties of bird? Not asking about a hardcore waterfowl hunt, or a clay competition - just some "I've got a hankering to do THIS today with my shotgun" type activities.

Thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Also - I'm in Union County NJ and the current events you are describing in this thread are precisely why I realized I want to have more than just a 22LR Rifle available to my household.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

If its a bead sight you only get the front bead. And that's all you need.

As for the tritium bead, it should be fine for any type of use you need it for. However I still haven't put this through the paces so I can't confirm.

Back