• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flood Preparedness

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
While this post wasn't an exact fit for any of the forum's categories, I thought this would be a good place to post it as it's about the things necessary to prepare for flooding or returning to one's home after a flood:

A subject at the top of thousands of peoples' minds this spring is flooding. We've seen higher than average rainfall across much of the U.S. as well as more water than usual being released as a result of this spring's snow melt. Near where I live, we have entire towns that will soon be completely under water. People are filling sandbags and packing up their worldly belongings. What else should they be doing? I've been working on a primer for before and after the flood. The information below has been gleaned from a number of sources as well as personal experience.

Prior to a Flood
1. Make a plan and practice a flood evacuation route with your family. It is very likely that your usual exit routes will be closed to traffic. Look for a route that makes use of high ground with as few bridges as possible. Assemble an emergency/evacuation kit to support your plan. Here on this site we might commonly call this kit a bug-out bag (BOB). Make sure you have all the essentials necessary for a good BOB as well as any additional specific items that might be needed in the event of a flood.

2. Establish an emergency contact well out of range of the area in which there is potential for flooding. This individual should have all of your contact information as well as information regarding your planned evacuation route. Keep this individual up-to-date on your plans and activities.

3. Program emergency and flood information phone numbers into cell phones. If you have a smart phone, bookmark informational websites.

4. If you have any family members with special needs, get out well in advance of any impending floods. Don't wait until the last minute to move your bed-ridden aunt Gertrude!

5. Know how to turn off electrical power, gas and water in your home and turn off utilities before you evacuate.

6. Gather your emergency/evacuation supplies so they are close at hand. You may need to leave your home quickly if flood waters rise faster than anticipated.

7. Review your family members' immunization records. Know the date of each family member's last Tetanus shot.

8. Store outdoor items like patio furniture, grill, etc. inside to avoid having them swept away.

9. Keep your vehicles' gas tanks filled. Filling stations along your evacuation route may be disabled or under water. As my granddad used to say, "It doesn't cost any more to keep the top half of the tank full than it does the bottom half."

10. Gather essential documents and include them in your emergency/evacuation kit.

11. Clean drinking water may be in short supply. Fill containers with as much clean drinking water as possible.

12. If you have pets or livestock, make sure they are included in your evacuation plan.

13. Keep an eye on the weather and know the terms.
A. Flood Watch - Flooding is possible.
B. Flash Flood Watch - Flash Flooding is possible
C. Flood Warning - Flooding is occuring or will occur soon; consider evacuating immediately
D. Flash Flood Warning - Flash Flooding is occuring or will occur soon; consider evacuating immediately

14. Move larger items to a safe area well in advance if you have ample warning. Otherwise, take only the essentials when you evacuate.

15. Do not attempt to drive or walk across creeks or flooded roads. If you can't see the bottom, it may very well be much deeper than it was previously. Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars, potentially causing loss of control. A foot of water will float most vehicles. Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) and pick-ups.

16. Keep both an on-road GPS and a paper map in your vehicle. You may very well need to re-route as you evacuate.

17. If you have a multi-story home, consider moving key items to the upper floor.

18. Consider keeping 12 volt chargers for cell phones and smart phones in your vehicle. These devices may very well be your best link to information. You don't want to their usefulness to be overcome because of a dead battery. Often, text messages will go through even when cellular phone calls will not.

Returning After the Flood

1. Throw away food that has spoiled or that may have come in contact with flood water. Clean the exterior of any canned goods with soapy water and rinse them in a bleach solution of one cup bleach to five gallons of water.

2. Assume that tap water is unsafe to drink until local authorities designate it as safe. Be careful when bathing or showering. Avoid getting potentially contaminated water in your mouth, eyes, nose and ears.

3. To kill bacteria in water by boiling, hold water at a rolling boil for one minute. If you are unable to boil water, add 1/8 tsp. of newly purchased, unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Stir water well and allow to stand thirty minutes before drinking. Do not use "purified" water for infants if possible. Use only newly purchased bottled water.

4. Use a solution of one cup newly purchased, unscented bleach in five gallons of water to clean and purify items that have come in contact with flood waters.

5. If you have to work in an area where flood waters are still present, wear a life jacket.

6. Avoid damaged and potentially unstable buildings.

7. Avoid wild or stray animals.

8. Watch for fallen power lines - particularly in areas where water is still standing.

9. Wear protective clothing and gear when cleaning up, including eye protection when working with bleach solutions.

10. To prevent mold growth, clean up and dry out buildings as quickly as possible after the water has subsided (24-48 hours). Open windows and doors. To prevent mold growth clean wet items with detergent and water. To stop mold growth, clean items with a solution of one cup bleach in one gallon of water. Dispose of pourous items such as carpet, padding, upholstered furniture, etc.).

11. Be aware of the impact of both physical and emotional strain. Stay cool, hydrated and clean. Wash your hands frequently. If water isn't available utilize sterile wipes (a great item for your emergency/evacuation kit).

12. Avoid sunburn while working outdoors. Utilize sun block (another great item for your emergency/evacuation kit) and try to work in the shade as much as possible.

13. Avoid heat-related illness while working outdoors. Rest frequently and stay hydrated.

14. Wear waterproof boots and heavy rubber gloves to avoid skin contact with flood waters.

15. Clean HVAC systems before use.

Great post Mud!

It's been well over a year since the flood here in Nashville and there are still a lot of folks displaced due to their homes being uninhabitable. There are just as many businesses still out of commission including the biggest mall in town. 40,000 people out of homes and jobs in one day. It's amazing how much damage water can do, but the real problems start once the black mold sets in. The aftermath tends to be just as devastating as the event and living through it could be a lot easier with a few basic skills and a plan.

And here is what can happen when you store firearms in foam lined cases and it floods. Some were completely submerged, some partially, and some were above the waterline but the humidity got into the foam.

100_2085.jpg

100_2081.jpg

100_2083.jpg

100_2079.jpg

100_2076.jpg

100_2078.jpg

100_2077.jpg

100_2088.jpg

100_2086.jpg

Don't store guns in foam cases. Especially if they may get wet.
It took a lot of work for me to get the rust off/out of these. Even after that, I recommended that they be refinished. I'm not even sure that the shotgun could be fully recovered and I haven't heard if they did.

Great post. I live just across the river from you and a lot of towns here are suffering the same fate from the good ole' Missouri river. We were lucking the Des Moines river didn't flood as well. It runs just a few miles from my house.

Great post Mud...

"Expect the best...but be prepared for the worst" ;)

Also glad to hear everyone ( including the firearms ) made it out OK !!

M24: Post a warning before posting firearm gore pictures. Some of our stomachs can't take it. :eek:

Mud, I only just read your post all the way through! Very thorough and thought out!!! Good advice Toby!

We dont get the kind of flooding here like they do along the river and like what was seen to the west of here, so I just kind of glanced initially, but its very well laid out!

Rossignol said:
Mud, I only just read your post all the way through! Very thorough and thought out!!! Good advice Toby!

We dont get the kind of flooding here like they do along the river and like what was seen to the west of here, so I just kind of glanced initially, but its very well laid out!

Thanks. I do what I can. ;)

Back