• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fore grip rail cover chop how to (pictures)

BowerR64

.270 WIN
First remove the forgrip/front sights. (6 total screws)

Next decide where you want to cut it.

I chose to cut the side rails and reuse the screw holes from the factory. I chose to remove the center screw hole then add the side rails back so the front and rear screw holes were now the only 2 mounting the side rails on. This holds everything together tight So when i go to JB weld it together i dont need any tools to hold the 2 parts back together i can use the 2 side rails.

foregripcutdown_zps9c1b706c.jpg

So looking at the picture blue is where i cut the forgrip. 2 cuts with my miter saw made good square cuts. (yellow) shows the front and rear screw holes i will reuse. Yellow are the reused screw holes.

Here i measured from the center of the front screw hole (green) to the third inner rib. I then cut the back in the same spot it was not on a rub but still between the 2 larger vent holes.
Whereimadecuts_zps20f0de15.jpg

The side of the fore grip is marked for the side rails. I just cut them to fit end to end.
Mossberg715Tforehandcutdown2_zps61d9a779.jpg

Put all the screws back in and twist the front so its square with the rear. Screw on the shortened side rails and your ready for the JB weld.
Mossberg715Tforehandgripcutdown3_zpscb46caaa.jpg

I then bought a flash hider off ebay for a Ruger 10/22 that fit perfect and 12 rubber rail covers they just slipped right on. The way i cut mine i wont need to glue the 2 sections back together but if i do the front sight will stay a little more in position.

Mossberg715Tcutdown_zpsb79dd288.jpg

$238. from walmart + tax, $70. 25 round mag off gunbroker, flash hider off ebay for $10. and $7. for the rubber rail covers.

Stock (top) 715T out of the box, then after cutting down the fore grip, mag and ebay parts.
Beforeandafter_zps3cd972aa.jpg

Nice little DIY tutorial here! I don't know how I feel about the barrel and how it protrudes but it is a welcomed and well received new concept! :D

Itsricmo said:
Nice little DIY tutorial here! I don't know how I feel about the barrel and how it protrudes but it is a welcomed and well received new concept! :D

Can i legally cut it down a little? maybe 2"? i know ide need to then retaper the barrel but that would make it not quite so long.

I was thinking the flat top version only has a 16" barrel the handle version has an 18"

Nice clean work. I'd be concerned about losing so many inches of sight radius. Have you shot it in this configuration yet? How is accuracy?

BowerR64 said:
Can i legally cut it down a little? maybe 2"? i know ide need to then retaper the barrel but that would make it not quite so long.

I was thinking the flat top version only has a 16" barrel the handle version has an 18"

If your barrel is 18", you don't want to cut it down more than an 1.5". Also remember that barrel length is measured with a marked rod inside the barrel resting on the closed bolt face...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
BowerR64 said:

If your barrel is 18", you don't want to cut it down more than an 1.5". Also remember that barrel length is measured with a marked rod inside the barrel resting on the closed bolt face...

Cool i never knew that. What if i have a 2" muzzle brake?

Using a cleaning rod poking it down inside the barrel to the end measures 18-1/4" with the muzzle brake on its 19-1/2"

BowerR64 said:
Cool i never knew that. What if i have a 2" muzzle brake?

Using a cleaning rod poking it down inside the barrel to the end measures 18-1/4" with the muzzle brake on its 19-1/2"

It is my understanding that the muzzle break would have to be permanently affixed.
From other posts, I believe yours is attached with a set screw on a slightly drilled out barrel.
I believe this would be a no-no if the barrel measures less than 16" without the break. I am sure more knowledgeable people will either confirm or correct me shortly.

(Edit for spelling)

Also, great write up. Thanks for the pics and the how-to. I think I will do this when I finally find a slip on fake can to hide the longer exposed barrel.

Back