• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forends for the 590M

nagrunum

Copper BB
I'm trying to compile a list of forends that will fit a 590M without modification to either the device or the shotgun because so far I'm pretty much coming up empty. I freely admit that I am not particularly knowledgeable about the variable elements in shotgun design, so I won't be of much use in technical discussions on the subject. I have modifications done by a gunsmith even if it's something I could theoretically handle myself, even if I know what needs to be done. I just prefer to handle things that way.

Initially my intent was to mount a light, but now I'm just interested to see what's actually out there. I am fairly certain, at this point, that no forend made for the typical 590 will actually fit the 590M, and it is very difficult to tell that it won't just based on the item description (unless it actually states that it will not fit the 590M, as is sometimes the case).

The variety of reasons for various forends NOT fitting/functioning is pretty remarkable, and the work people have done to adapt certain models to fit their shotgun is commendable, but surely there must be someone out there that makes an aftermarket forend for the 590M that actually functions as intended right out of the box.

This was probably something I should have looked into prior to purchase, but live and learn, as they say.

Thanks in advance!

I can't help you with a fore-end recommendation. Like the FLEX system, some of Mossberg's variants aren't well-received by the aftermarket (or buyers). So they quietly disappear from the catalog. Without a 590M in my hands, I can't really think about what mods would be needed to get a "regular" fore-end to work. It "looks" to me to be a regular fore-end...

With a regular 500 or 590, the mag tubes hold shells but also guide the slide-action (pump). While the tubes (and barrels) are not the same (590 opens on the front end to allow easier spring access) they are the same diameter in 12ga--I'm not sure about other gauges. This means the slides are more or less interchangeable. The 590A1 will have a thicker, heavier barrel so fore-ends will be larger on the barrel side.

How any of this affects the action actuating arms attached to the slide I couldn't tell you but I would venture a guess the arms are different on the 590M. Maybe they are larger or in a different location? Feel free to post up pics of your dilemma.

BTW, Welcome Aboard!

I can't help you with a fore-end recommendation. Like the FLEX system, some of Mossberg's variants aren't well-received by the aftermarket (or buyers). So they quietly disappear from the catalog. Without a 590M in my hands, I can't really think about what mods would be needed to get a "regular" fore-end to work. It "looks" to me to be a regular fore-end...

With a regular 500 or 590, the mag tubes hold shells but also guide the slide-action (pump). While the tubes (and barrels) are not the same (590 opens on the front end to allow easier spring access) they are the same diameter in 12ga--I'm not sure about other gauges. This means the slides are more or less interchangeable. The 590A1 will have a thicker, heavier barrel so fore-ends will be larger on the barrel side.

How any of this affects the action actuating arms attached to the slide I couldn't tell you but I would venture a guess the arms are different on the 590M. Maybe they are larger or in a different location? Feel free to post up pics of your dilemma.

BTW, Welcome Aboard!
Thanks! Much obliged :)

Yeah: I can ask my gunsmith about what he had encountered so I'm not sounding too much like a fool, but I was trying to swap out for a Streamlight racker and there was some incompatibility that didn't allow it to cycle properly. The stock forend is 6 3/4, and the Streamlight instructions read that it can be used with either 6 3/4" or 7 3/4" slide, but a call to Streamlight confirmed that it will not fit the 590M (though I don't know precisely what causes the problem).

Then I started looking around for other integrated lights (like the Nightstick) and then even things like various m-lok forends figuring I could mount something that way. But basically everything I look at appears to either not work or might work with various modifications. I guess there's a reason why, looking at Mossberg's official site, they have zero aftermarket forends listed for the 590M...

Now, I've definitely seen posts here (and on other forums) where people describe how they made Streamight or other forends fit/function on their 590M so I think we can ultimately get it sorted out, but that led me to wonder what, if any, forends existed that didn't need special attention to use.

OP, you might call GG&G and ask them about a light mount. I'm not 100% sure your 590M is the same as a typical 590 but I'd guess it is.

But these guys make mounts for most Mossberg shotguns and can likely tell you if a standard 590 mount will fit. They also sell Streamlight forends so they may be able to help you there also.

Many of us have retained the stock 590 forend and added a light mount with a common rail so you can mount a light of your choice. Seems the Streamlight TLR-1 HL is the light of choice these days.

Good luck.

Thank Ernst! I will take a look! :) I would have assumed that the 590M was configured as the 590 (aside from the difference in feed) but it turns out that I have been wrong more often than right by making that assumption :)

Back