• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got my hands on a box of......

Black_Talon.jpg

I shot these BTs back several years ago so I could take this photo. The duty round I carry now is a very close version of these without the black Lubalox coating that Winchester applied to these bullets.

'Chelle, that ammo you have is some very legal and very capable ammunition that you should have no fear of carrying in your sidearm(s).

A bullet such as a JHP (ie: BTs) not only creates a shock wave when it impacts a body, it also "corkscrews" its way in (and out?) due to spin imparted by rifling. Those pretty, "petals" sticking out are obviously razor sharp and it doesn't take much imagination to think of the damage they inflict, especially after expanding from .45" to .75"+! :twisted: :eek:

One of my "tool" sig lines in another forum is ".45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs" ;)

(shooter13's pic)

Attachments

• Black_Talonexpand.jpg
    Black_Talonexpand.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 449
Holy smokes batman! Those pics are pretty sweet! I didn't think they were illegal but I was worried at first when reading the story above!

Ahh, the dreaded Black Talon. I remember I had those loads back in the day. I carried the .45 acp load in a Para-Ordanance P-12.
The Antis claimed that they were armor piercing because of the teflon-like black coating, and that the petals would cut through the body armor of a Police Officer, allowing the bullet to pass through.
If memory serves, (uh-oh, headache), the black coating was supposed to promote reliable feeding. The twist rate of a pistol barrel would not impart enough spin to turn the bullet into the "buzzsaw" that the Antis claimed that it was.
IHMO, it was a decent load that go alot of bad press that killed it.

tcecil88 said:
Ahh, the dreaded Black Talon. I remember I had those loads back in the day. I carried the .45 acp load in a Para-Ordanance P-12.

Yea...same here !

PARAORDP12-45.jpg

Mine looked real similar to this.
Para-OrdananceP12-4545ACP.jpg

I got this photo from the net, but mine looked almost exactly like this one. The frame cracked right where the slide release went through. Para put a stainless frame on it, but I never had the work redone before I sold it. Very accurate pistol. I had everything installed on it that most factory guns have today. I could not tell you how much money I dumped into that pistol, it was alot though!

nitesite said:
Black_Talon.jpg

I shot these BTs back several years ago so I could take this photo. The duty round I carry now is a very close version of these without the black Lubalox coating that Winchester applied to these bullets.

'Chelle, that ammo you have is some very legal and very capable ammunition that you should have no fear of carrying in your sidearm(s).

Nitesite,
Amazing photo. What did you shoot them into the recover them in such great condition?

Back