• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Has anyone added a +1 mag extension to a 20" gun?

For you guys who have the 20" 590A1: Have any of you tried adding the +1 extension to it (either S&J or Vang)? It seems it wouldn't stick out that much past the end of the barrel. Personally, for me, I'd rather have an extra round than a bayonet.

Hmmm... It doesnt look as if its been done!

I've considered it, it wouldnt bother me at all to have the magazine tube stick out beyond the barrel.

This is going to be my next gun project. I plan to get a 590A1 like yours, Rossignol (model 51660 ;) ), and attach a +1 extension. I plan to install a Wolff XP spring and perhaps use a Vang stainless steel follower. I really like the idea of having a dedicated 10 round shotgun. As near as I can tell, the extension will protrude about 1" past the end of the barrel.

CM, I def like the idea! Real interested in seein it if/when you do it!

I'm awful partial to that 51660! :lol:

I have installed a Nordic +1 extension on my 590. The one thing that I did notice is that with a standard style follower [the metal factory "cup" style, and clones thereof] the spring could bind up, stopping rounds from feeding. [Exactly the same issue occurred on a Benelli Nova that I had]. It seems that there must be either a rough spot or a small gap when the extension tube is screwed onto the magazine tube, and the compressed spring catches in there. I swapped out the follower and installed a plastic one with a tail on it, such that the tail acts as a spring guide when the spring compresses. Since then I have had no problems with the mag spring binding. NB As I am in the UK my 590 barrel actually has a 4" extension welded on to comply with UK law, so the +1 extension is still shorter than the barrel by an inch or so.

Quick update to my previous post - considerable further experimenting found that it is the follower "twisting" slightly, such that it gets caught on the lip of the original magazine tube. Spoke to Nordic who say that they offer a much longer hollow follower that should eliminate the issue; I have decided that I will take 100% functionality over the extra rounds, so have stopped using any form of extension tube.

I like it!

It takes a lot less time to reload that extra round than it does to fix a self induced mechanical problem on the fly. Good call Sir...

Back