• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Wisconsin

marineman

Copper BB
Hey everyone new member and new Mossberg owner. I fairly recently started gaining an interest in guns, bought my first gun a 10/22 about 4 years ago just to go shoot with friends when they would go, then in the past 8 months I started buying more at a rate of about one per month. My most recent acquisition is a Mosbberg 835 I got for a song used at Cabelas. Looking at it, it looks like it has barely been fired and not much for wear marks from being used in the field. Mostly I came here to learn about it as I know nothing about it other than I had previously read some good reviews on other sites so for the price I had to take it home. I just took hunters safety this spring so this year will be my first year hunting and I'm looking forward to taking this gun with me.

I have a few questions regarding chokes (I will post in the appropriate forum if I don't get any answers here). The only choke the gun came with is the extended turkey choke (It's a 835 turkey in woodlands camo), this gun will be a turkey gun, also a duck/goose, a HD gun, and possibly a deer gun. I have some 00 buck for HD that for now I will load with no choke tube but looking for recommendations on what choke tube I should run for that as well as any advice you guys have on choke tubes and shot that work well together for the other uses I have listed. I'm a total newbie to shotguns in general so I know nothing. Also I see Mossberg sells their choke tubes for $28ish which is about the same price as what I can find elsewhere, any cheaper options out there or better options for the same price? I've seen some of the $100 choke tubes at cabelas but I'm not interested in dropping that much until I learn how to run the gun first and see if I need it.

2012-07-06_03-08-09_135.jpg

Welcome to MO MarineMan!!! Thats a sweet gun, one of these is on my list of firearms to buy!

As far as the chokes go, dont fire it with out a choke as the shot can damage the threads. I dont know that slugs can be fired from it at all, but with something like an improved cylinder choke, buckshot should pattern great!

There have been a number of chokes reviewed on here, but the first place I would look is TruLok (TruLock?) You can get a set at reasonable prices from improved cylinder to sport chokes to breaching chokes to really tight turkey chokes! What ever you need to make that 835 run like a dream!

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so thanks for the pic of your 835. Be sure to post pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

I am a bit biased but love my Trulock chokes. You can even call them up and they can help pick out which tubes will be the best for your setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome from MO.

Rossingol is spot on as usual. Shooting buck from the more open half of the choke range should work fine. Buy a cyl. Choke rather than shoot over the barrell threads.

My 930 came with a xxf turkey and I had chokes from my 500 that went toward the 930 and the chokes fit and function just fine. I sniped eBay to fill the gaps and have a somewhat mismatched (aesthetically) set that does not fill the complete range but hits the marks that I believe I need for the shooting that I do.

Howdy marineman and welcome to the club!

I have a pretty big collection of choke tubes for my various guns and what I find I use the most are skeet/improved for most clays, small game upland bird hunting and full to x-fulll for turkey.

Welcome from MI!!!

By the way, I like the camo pattern on that 835. I like really the old school look.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

( As far as shotgun chokes...I've written more than a few words on the subject...do a search on my posts for help with that. If ya need any assistance after that...PM me, and I will try to assist !!)

Back