• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi from NE Ohio

Hi everyone. FIrst off, I am new to message boards, so please excuse any mistakes while I learn the ropes :) I am hoping to be a first year hunter at the ripe old age of 50. I will be looking for advice on purchasing a first gun. Now I just need to find the area to do that lol. Looking forward to the discussions. Robin

Welcome ! First gun ! Advice ! Wow your in the right place. Just give us some info...like what do you want to hunt ? Do you have any shooting exp ?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Robinann861 !!

Someone once said you are never too young to learn... ;)

Enjoy the people and information here.

Just what I say...you CAN teach an old dog new tricks lol. When I am able to first get out will depend on my friend and his schedule, but it looks like this deer season, I may get out for the first time. But I am also interested in turkey and then maybe some small game down the road. I have shot some in the past but it has been quite a long time, and then it was mostly at turkey shoots. I am not real knowlegeable when it comes to guns, but am looking to learn all I can. I am looking for a good all around gun at first and then I can build from there.

OK...the last time shooting at turkey...the turkey wasn't still frozen was it ?!... :D

Really tho...you were hunting turkey...with a shotgun...and you were with a friend. I take it you had camo on...and still remember the gauge...probably 12, right.

OK...so you need a 12 gauge for hunting turkey and small game. I've taken deer with a shotgun too...using pumpkin balls, basically a lead ball or slug...so that is in the realm of possibility.

Have you cruised the Mossberg site and picked a certain style...or are you way beyond all that...give us a reference point as far as how knowledgeable in you are in shooting and hunting skills so we can guide you along...

Here's a link to the Mossberg site...

http://www.mossberg.com/

Howdy, and welcome to the club. I would say the mossberg 835 is a good all around gun. But that's just me because that's what I own. And love it! When you do decide to get a gun, definitely look into getting a recoil reducing stock. It will save you shoulder for sure.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4079 ... ICAL_STOCK

Stock #:100-005-356
Mfr:pHOENIX TECHNOLOGY, LTD
Mfr Part #:KLT01
Retail Price:$109.99

0vkDtl.jpg

or
this one...
http://prostores4.megawebservers.com/ph ... Detail.bok

if you don't like the looks of the tactical stock they have a sporter style that looks like a normal gun stock with a recoil reduction system as well...

http://prostores4.megawebservers.com/ph ... Detail.bok

EZajgl.jpg

Hello, Robin and welcome to a really friendly and informative gun forum!

You'll gain a lot of confidence in using a forum board format really quickly, so don't worry a bit about trying it out! And there's people here pledged to help you along the way.

Glad you're here!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! What is your budget for buying a gun?

Thank you for all the "Welcomes" I am looking forward to the discussions and learning from some great people! I can't say I don't have a budget, but I want something that will meet my needs without all the bells and whistles. A good, all around, first gun that I can use for deer, turkey and then possibly smaller game. Once I gain knowledge, skills and discover what I enjoy most, then I can expand from there.

Hi Robin!!! I'm near cincy Ohio!

My daughter is all the time lookin at the gun case in WalMart! They usually have some decently priced 20 gauges in there and even a model with 3 choke tubes. The 20 ga. will narrow the choice in ammo however, but the set of three choke tubes will give you more range in what you can hunt. You would be able to hunt deer and turkey with the same barrel.

A 12 ga opens lots of doors for ammo, though sporting ammo may not be too much different between a 12 and 20.

Would you say recoil is an issue? If it is a big concern, you could even look into a .410! Only problem with a .410 is ammo being expensive.

Whichever way you go, if you get something with a field barrel, be sure of the choke, it may be fixed meaning you cant do anything to change it. If at all possible with the field barrels, see if you can find the "Accu-Set" I think its called which give you the three diffent choke tube. That would provide the most versatility with a single barrel.

Theres lots more info, and if you dont see what youre lookin for, ask anyone here or try a search! ;)

Welcome to Mossberg OWners!

Thanks so much. I probably will go with a 12 gauge. I have shot 12 gauge in the past without too much issue of recoil. I wasn't too fond of the 410 I also shot at times. I am not a petite woman, so I don't think I will have problems with a 12. Now how knowlegeable are the clerks at Walmart. I really need a salesperson that knows more than I do lol. I have posted my question about advice on a gun on the hunting section. I wanted to say hi and introduce myself here and didn't mean to get 2 threads going with the same question :) THanks everyone for all the "welcomes" You all seem to be a great group of people and I really look forward to the discussions

Robinann861 said:
Now how knowledgeable are the clerks at Walmart. I really need a salesperson that knows more than I do

I'm not busting Wal-marts ego or anything, but usually the sales people at those kinds of places are hired from the neck down. Not for their brain.... They haven't had anyone at the stores around me know an inch about guns. With that said, that's just my opinion. I would suggest finding a local gun shop/store, that just sells guns and hunting/ammo merchandise. (I only shop at Cabela's because it's 15minutes from my house, and I love all their shiny new stuff! ) I have a local gun shop near me that's only ten minutes away, the owner is very knowledgeable. Also, you can find a used gun for 1/2 the price of new. I bought my used 835 for dirt cheap from him but It only came with one barrel. Nothing else. But if you don't mind shelling out the extra dough, then by all means get a new one.

Also, if you have some time to spare, you can check everyone's gun pix here in the pic and video area. So you can get more of an idea on what kind of "look" you like...

viewforum.php?f=33

And of course I have to plug my own thread..heh heh heh.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1667

I was definitely leaning towards a smaller gun shop. Cabelas is more than an hour away, but always fun to go and browse :) Dick's sporting goods is around here as is Gander Mountain. If I could find a nice used gun, that is definitely an option. Thanks

Whereas ripjack has his Cabela's ( closest one to me is Hamburg, PA...a considerable drive )...

I too have my Dick's Sporting Goods...and they do offer a good special now and then. I usually check their weekly circular online...and of course, if there's a holiday, there's a sale. I also have three local mom&pop gun shoppes in my area...but it's getting harder for them to compete with the volume buying power of the mega-marts.

+1 on what ripjack said about the big name store sales clerks...it's very rare that they have any knowledge about what they sell. I'm lucky in that regard, my DSG has an older retired gentleman that is quite the hunter and if I'm anywhere near the store, I will stop in and talk to him. He has even kept an eye out for me, knowing what calibers I require and will alert me to new items or put something aside if I need it.

As I said in a previous post, you are better off armed with the necessary info before you walk into any store to buy a firearm.

I plan on being as well informed as I can before I walk in anywhere, and all of you are a huge help when it comes to that. Thank you again. I have been looking at the different sales ads and comparing what I can, but there is nothing like first hand info from knowledgeable people as yourselves. I am sure I will have alot more questions as I go:)

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. You came for discussion and advice which, as you can see, we're not short of either here. Take a look around the various sub-forums as I'm sure you'll find plenty to peak your interest. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

Back