• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hogue Inc. OM Stocks and Grips Reviewed, Mossberg Compliant

Re: Mossberg 500 OverMolded™ Shotgun Stock - 12" L.O.P.

First Impressions:
It looks and feels great! Once installed, the difference is immediately noticable. The weight of the shotgun is effective closer to your body's center of balance.
One thing to make note of; While the recoil pad is plush, the rubber is "grippy" and I noticed this while practicing bringing the gun up to get a cheek weld. I may be wrapping some electrical tape around it to lessen the degreee to which it snags my clothes.

Installation:
If you have a philips screw driver, you can change a stock! First take loose the screws on the factory stock and remove the recoil pad. Youll need a 1/2" socket with an extension and ratchet wrench, or a longish flat screwdriver to remover the stock bolt. You will be reusing the factory stock bolt.
The short LOP stock goes on in reverse, only I recommend starting the stock bolt with the screw driver to get it lined up and started in the receiver. Also make sure to use the provided washer in the new stock.
The short LOP recoil pad is different than the standard LOP recoil pad in that the latter has visible holes for the screws. The recoil pad of short LOP has holes, though they are invisible at a glance. I'll add some pics soon. You have to work the material to find the holes. I put a drop of hand soap on the end of the screw driver so it would slide easily into the holes, you could use a little petroleum jelly too. (Hogue recomends using something to lubricate the screw driver so as not to risk damaging the recoil pad.)

Use:
Hogue suggests the short LOP stock is ideal for persons between 4 and 5' tall, such as youth shooters and smaller framed women. It is also ideally suited for military and LEO's wearing body armor. It may also be a consideration for an HD gun because the OAL is shortened by 2". That said, any shooter can benefit from the shorter LOP because it does bring the balance in closer to you and because it is a traditional stock a consistent cheek weld is still easily achieved by not having to relearn new equipment.

Still need to get a pic of the recoil pad, but want to update.

I just picked up a bunch of full power 00 and may get some trigger time in this weekend with the stocks.

Re: Mossberg 500 OverMolded™ Shotgun Stock kit with forend

First Impressions:
The stock is light, nocticably lighter in weight by comparrison to the factory stock. It almost seemed too light if thats possible. However, once installed, zero issues and it feels completely natural. The forend also feels very natural installed, the combination leaves nothing to be desired. The fit and finish is excellent and if you shoot a pump action the stock and forend kit feels "instinctive". It settles into the shoulder nicely and the LOP (while a standard 14") is actually less than the factory 14 3/8". Bonus, it LOOKS GREAT! Think of it as an upgrade performance package.

Installation:
If you have a philips screw driver, you can change a stock! First take loose the screws on the factory stock and remove the recoil pad. Youll need a 1/2" socket with an extension and ratchet wrench, or a longish flat screwdriver to remover the stock bolt. You will be reusing the factory stock bolt.
The stock goes on in reverse, only I recommend starting the stock bolt with the screw driver to get it lined up and started in the receiver. Also make sure to use the provided washer in the new stock, then replace the recoil pad. The forend takes just a little work. I pulled the trigger assy. cartridge interrupter and stop, and the bolt slide to remove the factory forend. I then used a flat file (though an allen wrench or even the shaft of a screwdriver would work) to lay across the notches on the tube nut to take it loose. Once thats done, the hard stuff is over. Pull the factory forend off, and replace with the Hogue OM forend. Nut goes back on and the gun goes back together. Project complete!
NOTE:
Models with a short action tube of 6 3/4" and 835 models will require the adapter nut which is not included. The Hogue OM forend will fit 12 ga. only while the stock will fit 500/590/835 models, 12/20/28 ga. and .410.

Use:
The Hogue OM stock and forend set are conventional upgrades to your shotgun, you wont be relearning the characteristics and dynamics of shooting and recovering from recoil. The textured surfaces also seem to be ergonomically better than the factory counterparts. The recoil pad is significantly better and will soften the blow of full power loads.

On that note, I have plenty of full power 00 and slugs to test possibly this weekend and will update afterwards!

Here are the pics of the recoil pad I promised.

Here in the first pic, the holes for the screws are absolutely invisible!
190018_1694261791458_1085205913_31479010_4750632_n.jpg

These next pics arent great, but I was able to show the hole, it isnt magic, its really there!
199380_1694262031464_1085205913_31479011_4663861_n.jpg

Its easier to find initially with two hands. Ok, this part really is magic! I managed to use both hands and get the pic!
199623_1694262231469_1085205913_31479012_5470872_n.jpg

Re: Tamer Pistol grip and forend for Mossberg 500

I was finally able to get some comparisons between the factory pistol grip and the Hogue OM Tamer Pistol Grip.

First a couple of similar views. Check out the difference between the two where the grip meets the trigger gaurd!
189498_1694263311496_1085205913_31479013_7120758_n.jpg

200103_1694263631504_1085205913_31479015_5345787_n.jpg

196408_1694264271520_1085205913_31479020_5298462_n.jpg

198893_1694264151517_1085205913_31479019_6868104_n.jpg

Sorry my hands are pretty beat up, but this is really cool how the Hogue Tamer forms a "finger shelf" just behind the trigger gaurd. But first the factory grip for comparison.
196421_1694263831509_1085205913_31479017_4642708_n.jpg

196837_1694263951512_1085205913_31479018_7824766_n.jpg

I'll be adding more in the near future!

That is pretty neat how you can't tell there is a hole there for the butt pad.

The Hogue seems like a much more ergonomic fit for your hand.

DHonovich said:
The Hogue seems like a much more ergonomic fit for your hand.

Absolutely! Everything about the Hogue is incredibly ergonomic! Hogue didnt just make a grip, but took into consideration contour and detail, the palm swells fill out the hand so there isnt any gap to force fit your hand to!

I'm totally impressed.

Yup, and its on those holes you definitely need to use something like a drop of dish soap to be able to get the screw driver in there and back the screws out of the stock. You do not have to remove the screws from the recoil pad.

Thanks for the review. So how do you like the shorter LOP with the )) buck, etc?

Dude, I love this stock!!! I love being behind the gun and not having to shoot standing sideways, it feels really good!

I still have much more shooting to do with it as I'm still feeling out exactly what I'm going to leave on my 590A1, but the Hogue short LOP is a staple now, it wont be going anywhere and NO WAY my daughter is stealing it from me!

thanks for the update. Is it bad that I have my next paycheck fun money already allotted to my 590a1 :p

Nothin wrong with that! :D

Looking, through the reviews on Midway USA I saw mention that you have to use your own stock bolt. One guy mentioned that he did not have one or something and had to send the stock back because he could not find a short stck bolt. Will the stock bolt in my 590a1 work and if not what do you do?

No worries, That what I have also is the 590A1. I used my own stock bolt and it was a great fit!

Worst case scenario, after adding the sling plate I needed a longer bolt. Got a 6" hex head bolt from my local hardware store, fully threaded so I could trim it down if need be, but didnt... I used a grade 5 bolt, grade 8 or hardened would be prefered.

But to your question, to go from a factory stock to the Hogue, there are zero issues!

Also, have more video you will love of my daughter (12 years old) firing my 590A1 with the Hogue short LOP!

Thinking about ordering one of these for my 590SP...

I am fairly short at 5'7" and the wife 5'2", so I think we can both benefit from this :)

C8V6C said:
Thinking about ordering one of these for my 590SP...

I am fairly short at 5'7" and the wife 5'2", so I think we can both benefit from this :)

Absolutely! I'm getting ready to put some video together of my 12 year old daughter firing my 590A1 with the Hogue 12" LOP. She is 4' 11" and weighs about 90 lbs.

It will be a short video just to add some illustration to the reviews! ;)

Heres a pic someone pulled from one of my vids. You can see the Hogue OM short LOP stock. I'll be posting this pic under a couple other reviews as well.

MagPul_AFG.jpg

And now, I have figured out how to do screen captures! Heres another with that Hogue more visible.

Attachments

• 00_Hogue_Ergo_AFG.JPG
    00_Hogue_Ergo_AFG.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 708
Back