• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need help finding ammo

Chris111

.270 WIN
I realized this board doesn't have a general discussion section so...

Im trying to find the federal buckshot with the flight control wad. I've looked at plenty of sites and the stores in my area don't carry it. I was hoping that I could network and maybe someone knows of a site that has it in stock?

Thanks

The flight control like not dry up from time to time. This is why I advocate barrel work, nothing lasts forever, not even flight control.

Gunshows will sometimes have the stuff too. I had a few places online I would check, but none have had it recently.

SGAmmo
AmmunitionToGo

a couple others that escape me at the moment... I'll try to find some after a bit.

Oli, what kind of barrel work are you suggesting? Do you mean having the barrel tapped for chokes? I wasn't even thinking about the spelling ha.

Michelle, that's turkey load. I'm ping to dig through the site to see if they have anything else.

Brad, thanks for the help. Never looked at those sites before.

Another is Tactical Defense Solutions.

They currently have the Federal Tactical 8 pellet low recoil FliteControl for $5/5 rounds.

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/t...CAL_00_8_BALL_BUCKSHOT_LE133-00_-_5_ROUND_BOX

The links for TDS sometime take yoy straight to the home page, if this happens, just click on rifle and shotgun ammo, to the left, then click on All shotgun ammo and scroll down a little. its in there...

Chris111 said:
Oli, what kind of barrel work are you suggesting? Do you mean having the barrel tapped for chokes?

I am talking about forcing cone work. There are companies out there that lengthen the forcing cone and backbore the barrel. Check out Vang Comp or Aimpro. Lengthening the forcing cone, the pellets have a smooth flow from the chamber to the bore. This prevents the pellets from bunching up in the barrel and reduces the felt recoil. the pellets do not become as deformed and keep a more consistent shape making less "fliers" and a tighter pattern
Back-boring the barrel is accomplished by boring the barrel from the chamber towards the muzzle creating a choke where there was none on a cylinder bore barrel like most defensive or offensive shotguns will have
I am told by experts that Aimpro is made to optimize the Federal FC wad. I have exp with Vang Comp and I can say it works as advertised. It tightens up the pattern on all the buck I have used through it so far. The ammo it didn’t help much from my gun anyway is Federal FC…no matter for me because to me the idea of barrel work means you aren’t dependant on one sort of ammo, but it shoots all ammo well.
It doesn’t turn Rio into FC but it does tighten Rio up quite a bit

A search using the actual product numbers might help you find the specific load you are looking for.

LOW RECOIL

PD132 Low Recoil 00 Buck 9-pellet w/ FliteControl 1100-fps
PD156 Low Recoil 4-Buck 34-pellet w/ FliteControl 1100-fps
LE133 00 Low Recoil 00-Buck w/ FliteControl 8-pellet 1145-fps
LE132 00 Low Recoil 00-Buck w/ FliteControl 9-pellet 1145-fps
PFC154 00LR Low Recoil 00-Buck w/ FliteControl 9-pellet 1145-fps ** Discontinued

STANDARD VELOCITY

LE127 00 Maximum 00-Buck w/ Flite Control 9-pellet 1325-fps

Some vendors don't put a space between the product code, such as sgammo.com. They list it as LE13200, and so on

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/5 ... l-buckshot

They have LR for as low as $3.65 per 5-rd box or $169/250 by the case

Chris111,

I'm not trying to overload you with things to think about, but being that I'm an ammunition guy I can't help it sometimes.

If you are planning to defend yourself/home/family at distances usually under 50-feet you might also consider buying some low recoil 1-oz slugs like Federal's TruBall LEB127 LRS @1300-fps or the TruBall LEB127 RS @ 1600-fps which really rocks in the recoil department!

Of course, even buckshot has wall penetration issues if a pellet goes astray but not as much as 1-oz slugs that miss! Still, some people actually prefer slugs as their go-to shotgun ammo.

And honestly, a 9-pellet @1100-fps is pretty comfortable compared to even the LowRecoil slug @ 1300-fps!

It is good. The FC ammo just holds a real tight pattern so you dont accidentally hit your loved ones with a "flier". My wife is behind me and the kids are gone so I yse whatever at 10 yards or less.....I have slugs in it at this moment though.....

oli700 said:
It is good. The FC ammo just holds a real tight pattern so you dont accidentally hit your loved ones with a "flier". My wife is behind me and the kids are gone so I yse whatever at 10 yards or less.....I have slugs in it at this moment though.....

Good man!

And Michelle, for most home/self-defense distances the FliteControl wad is probably less desireable than low-recoil loads with standard wads, IMHO.

The FliteControl wad really shines when shooting at 30+ yards, such as when hunting 'yotes and such.

A FliteControl load at 5-10 yards is going to be basically a solid slug in it's total spread of the shot. So if you want "some" spread at less than 12-yards then plain buckshot and a cylinder bore is going to allow you that spread, maybe as much as 12" or so.

The trouble is, it's almost impossible to get "Low Recoil" standard 00-Buck loads for that magic combination or short-range spread and easier shooting.

nitesite said:
A FliteControl load at 5-10 yards is going to be basically a solid slug in it's total spread of the shot. So if you want "some" spread at less than 12-yards then plain buckshot and a cylinder bore is going to allow you that spread, maybe as much as 12" or so.

The trouble is, it's almost impossible to get "Low Recoil" standard 00-Buck loads for that magic combination or short-range spread and easier shooting.

I definitely see your reasoning but hear this out. The idea is that a group of smaller projectiles is going to penetrate less than one solid projectile. So people who are worried about friendly fire can have accuracy of a slug, velocity of a low recoil slug but the group of smaller lighter projectiles isn’t going to go through wall after wall. I am not a ballistics expert but I think once the slug like group hits flesh it seems like they would spread out and have a better chance maybe hitting a vital…... so it will work up close plus you could take it further than social distance if you need to, but again you could argue that why not a slug for anything over 15 or 20 yards which would probably be outside and probably no concern for friendly frag….it could be a endless debate , personally I like my buck to spend all its energy in an area about the size of a fist at 10 yards and my slugs hitting point of aim at 50.

I'll have to loo into the cang setup since I haven't actually done so. I really think they should have just put chokes in short barrels as well. I also agree with not having to use a specific ammo.

As far as the ammo, I really just wanted to try some out. I have slugs loaded now but I figured I might like to have some buckshot as well. The main problem was that I couldn't find any buckshot in my area period. The local walmarts did actually get some in but of course they only carry Remington and Winchester.

I have shot a total of 5 in my life. Just not worth it to me and my barrel dosent group them all that much better than what I can load myself

Back