• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I want to shoot a coyote...

Tater

I know there is no other reason than pure blood lust, but I can't help it.

I just bought a Mossy 500 .410 for squirrel hunting (my 12 gauge is just unnecessarily large for squacks). Although the odds of running in to a coyote while squirrel hunting are pretty slim, I can't help but imagine what a 3" buckshot load would do to a 'yote.

I'm all for hunting whatever is legal and even support the removal of pests/nusance animals but killing purely for the sake of killing, even yotes, does not set well with me.

Always be sure you have enough gun and a well placed shot wondering what will happen is not enough even yotes deserve a quick humane kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good! .410 3" shotshell isn't gonna do anything but wound the coyote at best.
This didn't set well with me either......

I do not like coyotes.

We used to have a wonderful population of grouse and pheasants back when I was in high school and up until the state turned loose a crap load of coyotes and now even the turkeys are having a hard time surviving.

The coyote population has skyrocketed and not only is it open season year round, they now allow night hunting.

I have seen one single grouse in the last 5 years. I have seen zero ringnecks.

I will kill every coyote I come across on our property. Things were better without them.

Always be sure you have enough gun and a well placed shot wondering what will happen is not enough even yotes deserve a quick humane kill
wise words. I grew up in the woods all my life and probably shot one of everything along the way and this is always the most important thing. You shoot enough stuff and eventually you see something suffer and it leaves an impression on you. I have only shot one coyote and out of that experience I got something I wasn't expecting that left a similar impression. We always had them on the property, a pack.....we got 70 acres and 1000's behind us of roadless forest. One day I saw one as I was walking up the driveway , had a rifle so I shot it legal, clean dead in his tracks. Then after 5 minutes I heard what I know now was its mate in the tree line, couldn't see her. I could hear her howling and crying in my house for most the night, couldn't run her off.....I wont shoot another one, also don't care if people do and have fun doing it, that's their business

I will kill every coyote I come across on our property.

need more wolves, they kept the coyote population in check for an eon or so. Around here , east of the Cascades they kill them like its a birthright because they decimate the Antelope mostly .........pull the calves out as they are being born !

Hmm. Well, I can say I never meant to stir up so much emotion. Let me start over.

First, I've been hunting for many decades and have never, not once, shot at an animal when under-gunned or when I wasn't sure of the shot. If you're saying a 3" 000 buckshot load isn't enough for a coyote within range, it's not me with a problem. As a matter of point, the load I'm talking about was designed for.... wait for it.... wait.... coyote!

I am sorry I used the phrase "blood lust" and riled up you folks. Really. But, where I'm from, 'yotes are KOS pests. Since I wouldn't intend to harvest the skin or eat it, the only reason I'd be pulling the trigger is because hunting is fun and the excitement of removing a varmint is exciting to me. That's blood lust even if you don't like calling it that. I'll use the phrase "pleasurable remote euthanasia" from now on.

Don't know about anyone else I don't kill any animal I don't have a use for either pelt or food or if it's in the act of killing livestock if you want to shoot stuff cause it's fun try a target.

This is just my way and I know how a lot of people feel about yotes but why not take the pelt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we could legally shoot them where I live I would (they are a target of opportunity here in Ohio...declared a nuisance and overpopulated). But too many houses, pets, kids, etc. in a residential area There are warnings sent out from time to time not to leave pets and small kids unattended because there are so many coyotes running around. There appears to be no official intervention of them, either. I have no need for pelts or any other piece of them. But if I see one that offers a shot while up at our club I will take it.

Hmm. Well, I can say I never meant to stir up so much emotion. Let me start over.

First, I've been hunting for many decades and have never, not once, shot at an animal when under-gunned or when I wasn't sure of the shot. If you're saying a 3" 000 buckshot load isn't enough for a coyote within range, it's not me with a problem. As a matter of point, the load I'm talking about was designed for.... wait for it.... wait.... coyote!

I am sorry I used the phrase "blood lust" and riled up you folks. Really. But, where I'm from, 'yotes are KOS pests. Since I wouldn't intend to harvest the skin or eat it, the only reason I'd be pulling the trigger is because hunting is fun and the excitement of removing a varmint is exciting to me. That's blood lust even if you don't like calling it that. I'll use the phrase "pleasurable remote euthanasia" from now on.

I'm not riled up , just stating my thoughts. I've dispatched many a nuisance animal and have shot them for their pelts. Heck I even built a dedicated upper for yotes and groundhogs and am just waiting for an opportunity to pattern a coyote choke tune that I picked up over the winter.

My point of contention was not in your choice of gun or ammo, purely the stated reason for killing.

Words matter and they are often used against us by anti-gun/anti-hunting groups. Killing to test ammo or for "Blood Lust" makes us "appear" to be the monsters they would like to paint us as.

I'm not riled up either, I just remember that when I read about coyote killing, they might need thinning in some places but that's peoples fault for throwing off the balance of things. At the end of the day they are just trying to live their life with what is presented to them, I doubt its meant personal.....to each their own every one is just blurting out opinions

need more wolves, they kept the coyote population in check for an eon or so. Around here , east of the Cascades they kill them like its a birthright because they decimate the Antelope mostly .........pull the calves out as they are being born !

We don't have wolves. I don't really think that is the answer. Though I am going coyote hunting with a good friend of mine this coming Wednesday.

Though the state was talking about introducing wolves under some federal program because the elk population is increasing.

But at the same time, they won't have a regular elk hunt, they do it with a lotto, which means that it's pretty rigged. Most of the people who "win the elk lotto" have contacts in high places and/or have a lot of state contracts or other junk.

Ohio Archer was correct in the "human intervention" comment earlier.

If we didn't have so many hunting reg's and stupid hunting laws, and many species protected more than the human species, we would not have near the problems that we do.

We don't have wolves. I don't really think that is the answer.
the coyotes natural born enemy.....wolves hate coyotes and kill them on sight just because. If you get bored sometime look into the Yellowstone reintroduction. the wolves put the yotes in check and the antelope rebounded, they gave the elk a thinning and the heards are way better genetically and it also gave them a reason to hide so they don't roam in the open much and eat all the willow and riparian trees, which brought back beavers because they had food, they make ponds which provide water for everything, the ponds eventually revert to meadows providing food for everything....and so on its super interesting the way it worked. The packs keep each other in check through conflict and territory.....problem is they go after easy food too, livestock. Hunters bitch because the competition, Indians lived and hunted side by side with them for thousands of years so modern man with modern weapons should be able to handle it IMO.......might not be the answer back east though, too many people

But at the same time, they won't have a regular elk hunt, they do it with a lotto, which means that it's pretty rigged. Most of the people who "win the elk lotto" have contacts in high places and/or have a lot of state contracts or other junk.
hope you get one sometime, tasty vittles right there and a challenging hunt, ghost of the woods

I've eaten elk, but I've never hunted them.

Like I said, our hunting laws are back-asswards.

I know there is no other reason than pure blood lust, but I can't help it.

I just bought a Mossy 500 .410 for squirrel hunting (my 12 gauge is just unnecessarily large for squacks). Although the odds of running in to a coyote while squirrel hunting are pretty slim, I can't help but imagine what a 3" buckshot load would do to a 'yote.
For u to kill one with a .410, all the stars better be perfectly right. They're tuff and very elusive. I've killed them from 10-300+ yards. Here's my best to date. 64.5 lbs and really red. We're thinking it was a red wolf hybrid.

asagurun.jpg

And btw, I kill all yotes as well. None get a pass in my book. I treat'em like wild boar: kill every one I see.

Oli700, WE DO NOT NEED MORE WOLVES! Their numbers is starting to reflect the declining elk herd.

Oli700, WE DO NOT NEED MORE WOLVES! Their numbers is starting to reflect the declining elk herd.
why, because its harder to hunt elk in their natural state of being weary ? It just wont be the "fish in the barrel" hunt people have grown accustomed to. The elk will be, and are, stronger, healthier and genetically superior ......and the successful hunt will be much more gratifying and earned. You can have too many of everything, I have a damage control tag for elk that destroy the pear orchards here, even can shoot pregnant cows with that tag, how is that better than a wolf pack eating her, feeding many creatures with the scrap? everything needs to be put in check by something and wolves do a lot for the forest, everything benefits accept for the old and sick, a couple rag horn bulls and lazy hunters lol.

Back