• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Iron Sights on MMR Hunter

Army Sailor

Copper BB
Very happy with the Hunter so far. Reminds me of the M16 I was issued in the Army four-plus decades ago. I am using an inexpensive red dot sight on the rail now and will likely upgrade to a scope as well but I am also interested in iron sights. The front sights is the obvious difficult part. Can someone point me to some products that work with the Hunter without major modifications or adaptation?

This rifle is mostly for varmint use but often they are pretty close.. under 100 yards... so a scope makes that kinda difficult. Honestly, I do pretty good on iron sights just because of familiarity though I am really liking the red dot so far for quick target acquisition. I just wonder about battery life and battery operation in cold weather.

Second question regards location of the red dot. I see some shooters mount it more the the rear and some more to the front. Is there any logic to either location? Thanks!

Jim

hello Jim. welcome from NY and congrats on your new mossy.

,,,,and,,,,

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,489
Army Sailor said:
This rifle is mostly for varmint use but often they are pretty close.. under 100 yards... so a scope makes that kinda difficult.

Howdy Jim
I can’t help with the irons as it looks like you will have to do some modification to the rifle to add rail so you could add a front folding sight, is it a flat top receiver that’s all rail ?…..I’ve only seen pictures of the rifle with a scope attached

I recently built my first AR and have put a bunch of rounds down range with a red dot….for my use I don’t foresee too much hunting with it but I am a hunter.
With my red dot I feel good getting rounds in a 10” circle with a 4 MOA size dot and if I bench shoot it I can get easy 4 inch groups at 100 yards.
I really like the idea of red dots but I really appreciate a little magnification on a rifle as accurate as an AR15.
Have you looked into 1-4x30mm scopes yet ?
I will be purchasing a 1-4 power scope sometime this summer when Bushnell comes out with their offering.
The 1x is supposed to be like using a red dot, both eyes open, quick target acquisition….. but when wanting a more precise shot like in hunting or ID of a target or a thousand other reasons you can just throw the magnification ring over and have a quick 4 power or 3 or 2 and a half……

I’ll probably pick this one up…not on the market yet but read some real positive reviews and a guy I know who shot through one at SHOT show said he would put the glass quality up against Vortex’s $500 1-4.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Opti ... 61988.aspx

and that’s super cheap considering its coming with a mount…….good enough for me

Thanks for the answer oli700 and for the flag, mossy.

Well, I guess my questions show how "old school" I am. A tactical scope will probably take some getting used to, as the red dot has been, but it's pretty nice once you do. I can see why people like them and I will likely discover something similar with a tactical scope.

Yes, the Hunter is a flat top rail and this rife was more or less designed from the getgo to be a long range "hunter" (and my name is Sherlock ( : < ) with a scope. I prefer a full stock, which is why I bought the Hunter but, if you are listening Mossberg, I would have jumped into the AR realm a lot sooner if you had offered a full-stocked Hunter with iron sights. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy and not a sizable demographic... I'm sure you did the research. In any case, I jumped just before the AR became the "dreaded" AR... which was fortuitous on many levels.

Still wondering about the placement of the red dot on the rail...either more forward or more to the rear. I see it both ways but have not talked to anyone about why it's one way or the other. Seems to work both ways.

If you really really want a front sight I don’t see a reason you can’t buy a railed gas block and clamp it on the barrel then slap a gas block height front sight on it…there are a few inside diameter choices
here is my gas block, I put my front sight on the handguard because that choice was a bit cheaper. Although your functioning gas block is under your handguard I don’t see why you couldn’t use one just for a sight mount

You could also change the handguard, might require a barrel nut swap though

Here is how I have my rear buck up sight with red dot

Thanks.

What I have been wondering is whether there is any reason you couldn't use the existing handguard, which has some accessory mounting slots, to mount a base for a foresight Similar to the short rail I see on your weapon) and then use the rear of the picatinny for a rear sight? The foresight wouldn't be any farther back than on any other AR with iron sights. I just haven't found all the right parts. I don't expect you, or anyone, to do all my legwork but if you can tell me, "yeah that's possible" and give me some clues on where to locate the parts, that would be optimal.

Attachments

• Mossberg_MMR_Hunter.jpg
    Mossberg_MMR_Hunter.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,473
Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for... they even have some folding ones. The slot of the bottom side is the part I couldn't determine from some other similar ones I've seen.

Back