• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is this gap between barrel and mag tube normal?

JCinPA

.270 WIN
I've been fiddling with my Mossberg 500, turning it into a dedicated HD shotgun, and I'm finally done with it. But when reattaching the 18.5" barrel I noticed this gap. It may have always been that way and I just never noticed, but it seems a bit too much. It racks and operates fine. Is this normal? I removed the little lock washer thingy that keeps the bolt in place that's why the bolt is not there. I simply do not remember that before.

gap.jpg

There is always a gap, if there wasn't, the barrell would bottom out on the mag tube before fully seating in the receiver.

To be sure pull the slide back halfway and pull the barrel in and out, you should feel it fully seat in the receiver.

Thanks, Old Mossy, I thought so. I looked through the open action and the barrel is solidly on the shelf for it in the receiver, so it had to be properly fit. I just guess I never noticed this until today. Thanks for the replies, from both of you.

So that is common on the 500? So does the cap for the mag tube goes inside there and then threads onto the tube? Or am I looking at something totally unrelated? The barrel on my shockwave slides over the tube with the threads protruding out the other side, then the cap goes on, locking it all together…only the mag cap holds the barrel in, once the action is half opened…

So that is common on the 500? So does the cap for the mag tube goes inside there and then threads onto the tube? Or am I looking at something totally unrelated? The barrel on my shockwave slides over the tube with the threads protruding out the other side, then the cap goes on, locking it all together…only the mag cap holds the barrel in, once the action is half opened…

The 500's are different than the 590's and shockwaves. The end of the magazine tube has a threaded plug welded in, there is no "cap". A bolt goes through the barrel lug and then into the threaded insert. This is why you can't add magazine extensions on a 500, nor can you clean the tube or change the magazine spring without removing it from the receiver.

I have the 500 with the 18.5” breacher barrel & it is set up with the same style mag tube/nut as the Shockwave. I think I like that system better, but I never understood why Mossberg has the two different systems

I have the 500 with the 18.5” breacher barrel & it is set up with the same style mag tube/nut as the Shockwave. I think I like that system better, but I never understood why Mossberg has the two different systems
For some unknown reason Mossberg likes to switch some things around at times?????

3095-1.jpg

There are chimera's out there. Some are custom done by guns shops, but Mossberg made some weird models over the years. I think that is a 500 "cruiser" setup. I even have a Maverick that has the 590 style magazine and barrel on it.

Back