• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is this rust?

TNSAF

.22LR
Just bought a brand new, out of the box 590A1, 18.5 inch barrel, 6 shot. I haven't fired it yet.

There is some rusty coloration in the barrel Is this rust or is it something else? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Barrel 1.jpg
    Barrel 1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 942
  • Barrel 2.jpg
    Barrel 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 939
It could be. They sometimes sit on the shelf for a while, so it coule just be some surface rust. It doesn't look like paint cuz it's not shiney. If you have a cleaning kit use the cleaner that came with it and the brass brush. Followed by a good amount of patch cloths.

Looks like surface rust to me. I would try to wipe it off with a lightly oiled patch.

If it's something else, it'll get worn off as soon as you start shooting it.

I think there is a much larger issue with that barrel other than very light surface rust which will disappear. Any one else think so?

Are you referring to the machine marks or the what i assumed to be dust but could be shavings?

Or am I just not seeing what your looking at?

The light surface rust is a non-issue. It'll disappear with one cleaning, along with any particulate debris/shavings that MikeD mentioned.

Those chatter marks left over from the barrel boring machining process, (the rings cut into the barrel) are something I have never ever seen before and certainly would want to respectfully bring to the attention of OF Mossberg and their Quality Control/Warranty Division.

The photos lead me to believe that the barrel/choke wasn't honed out smoothly. And I would want that concern looked into.

I am not trying to deflate the excitement of a new-gun owner, but that bore surface just looks a little bit disconcerting. It may be completely normal. It may not affect a single thing. It may be the standard of today's manufacturing process. But I would sure as hell send those pics and ask OFM to explain it.

All that said, to the OP I am HUGELY excited that you own a 590A1 which I consider to be one of the finest self-defense pump shotguns available anywhere.

Thanks for the input Nitesite and everyone. I took my gun to a Mossberg approved dealer today after calling Mossberg and sending them the photos. First they wanted me to ship the barrel to them in Texas, but after they found out I'm Canadian they directed me to the nearest dealer they work with. The gunsmith explained the rust color as a chemical, and the straight lines I can't remember what he said those were, but he said it would be fixed with a simple cleaning and he took it in the back and cleaned out the barrel for me and it looks perfect now. Thank God.

I've certainly done my reading up on this shotgun so I know this is pretty much the best tactical shotgun money can buy. That being said it's very reasonably priced (I paid $694.00 after taxes). But to me, Mossberg isn't the best run company. They make some great guns, no doubt about that, but their customer service could use some work.

There are several variants of the 590A1 and the user manual is very general and does not get specific about problems that may relate to a particular model. Getting the buttstock off of this gun was an adventure in and of itself. I wound up about 75 miles from home in a barn in the country, with a gunsmith who finally got it off for me. Now. Had I known what to do (this is where the model specific manual would have been helpful) I could have easily done it myself. But the fact that I needed an AR15 stock wrench and the worlds smallest allen key were not something that was explained or even mentionmed in the manual.

I've had to deal with the guys at customer service at Mossberg twice and both times it seems to me like they are guessing when they give me an answer about something. They always speak in a non-definite mode, as if to always give themselves a back door just in case what they said was wrong.

Today, with the barrel problem. They wanted me to ship the barrel to them in Texas (until they found out I was Canadian) and they wanted ME to pay for it, without re-imbursement. I told them I hadn't even fired a single round yet, yet still he said I had to pay for the shipping. This is absurd. If any gun maker screws something up, doesn't check it before it goes to a store to be sold....and then the customer is the one who finds the mistake that QC missed......why should the customer have to spend any money?? After arguing with the guy for about 3 minutes he finally conceded and agreed to send me a pre-paid shipping label, but he sounded pretty annoyed at me, even though I was being completely logical (and polite too).

Mossberg is a great gunmaker, but I think the CS could use some work. Just basic stuff.

Anyways......I think all is well and now I look forward to giving it a good cleaning and getting out to the range. Thanks for all your help guys.

TNSAF said:
They make some great guns, no doubt about that, but their customer service could use some work.

Very true. I wish I could offer some defense but they do seem to be fumbling a bit with the QC and CS right now.

Glad to hear the issue was resolved for you.

I'm looking for a 590a1 right now...two shops are calling around and can't find one !! Maybe next gun show...if I'm lucky !

Damn shame about your trouble...I'm taking a bore light with me if and when I pick up my 590a1...and it will get a complete inspection before I plunk down a red cent !!

SHOOTER13 said:
I'm looking for a 590a1 right now...two shops are calling around and can't find one !! Maybe next gun show...if I'm lucky !

Damn shame about your trouble...I'm taking a bore light with me if and when I pick up my 590a1...and it will get a complete inspection before I plunk down a red cent !!

I had to drive 2.5 hours each way to get mine. None of the gun stores where I live carry them normally, and some had them on order but were being told they were backordered and didn't know when they would be arriving. I had already waited almost 2 months for it to arrive at my favorite shop but they said they were supposed to get them March 1st, but after 2 months being delayed, they weren't sure when they would come in. The general stock seems to be lower end shotguns around here, as far as tactical goes. So I said "screw waiting" and took a nice drive up north and got it that day. And after a few issues being sorted out (figuring out taking off the buttstock, this barrel issue) I am ready to give it a good clean and head to the range.

BTW...answered your cleaning questions in the other thread.

Glad you got it worked out! I've been following but havent had time to really sit down and get into it!

When I first saw the pics you posted, I was on my phone and didnt notice the marks NiteSite mentioned... having seen them, I would agree with his original stance.

I agree about OFM. I have no idea what the heck theyre thinkin. How is it they produce a great firearm and yet they dont care enough to make sure their CS even knows what theyre talkin about and in most cases cant identify one model from the next or as you pointed out, dont know the specifics of a given model... only what theyve been taught by reading from the script. Its redficulous they should even ask a customer to flip the bill on a shipping label.

Your experience isnt unique.

Keep us posted on the barrel and how it cleans up!

TNSAF said:
SHOOTER13 said:

I had to drive 2.5 hours each way to get mine. None of the gun stores where I live carry them normally, and some had them on order but were being told they were backordered and didn't know when they would be arriving. I had already waited almost 2 months for it to arrive at my favorite shop but they said they were supposed to get them March 1st, but after 2 months being delayed, they weren't sure when they would come in. The general stock seems to be lower end shotguns around here, as far as tactical goes. So I said "screw waiting" and took a nice drive up north and got it that day. And after a few issues being sorted out (figuring out taking off the buttstock, this barrel issue) I am ready to give it a good clean and head to the range.

Glad that u finally found help with your gun

If someone make me to put a bet "It is very difficult to find a mossberg 590a1 in USA i ll for sure lost it"

Here u just go an buy it at least in the big gun stores.

And the last 6 months they sold many many pump action guns
mostly mavericks ,590 and benelli supernova because of the crisis i think.

Kinda late getting in on this and glad everything worked out for you TNSAF!!! I have seen stuff like that before especially if I bought a gun and then relocated to a different part of the country. I bought a Rem 870 down on the Islands in Southeast Alaska and then moved to the Anchorage area. Didn't get around to looking at it for a couple months and the the entire time it was in a gun case. Pulled it out and freaked. Screw it, went to the range punched a rounds out the pipe, looked down the pipe and NO PROBLEM there anymore. Went home cleaned her up and good as new.

I maybe should have prefaced this by saying I worked with a museum before at restoring old firearms so rust and old grease etc was a daily issue. Had a friend that had a Russian M-44 that got a little weather checked and he did the same thing. Punch a round out the bore clean it and good to go.

I might add here on the side of caution and safety, MAKE SURE THE BORE IS NOT OBSTRUCTED before you pull a meanuver like that.

RussMo said:
I maybe should have prefaced this by saying I worked with a museum before at restoring old firearms so rust and old grease etc was a daily issue.

You just opened the door there. Feel free to offer up any tips for restoring those old beauties. :-D

MikeD said:
RussMo said:
I maybe should have prefaced this by saying I worked with a museum before at restoring old firearms so rust and old grease etc was a daily issue.

You just opened the door there. Feel free to offer up any tips for restoring those old beauties. :-D

EXACTLY! :lol:

Been trying to get back here for a month, I’ve either been sick, tired or just sick and tired. Worked 96 hours last week and my rear is dragging.
The very first thing you do is insure the firearm is unloaded and safe to work on PERIOD. Your safety and the safety of those around you is 1st and foremost.
Rust and antiques! Yep this is a can of worms and can get very drawn out. Many people have done many things over the years to clean up a firearm but the very 1st thing that YOU have to determine is, will the firearm be a shooter or wall hanger. If it’s a wall hanger will you want to leave in as close to found condition with the exception of general gun cleaning or do you want to push the super clean envelope. Super clean, removing patina and the natural occurred aging. This is a very slippery slope that you need to do a little sole searching before going down.
The biggest asset to doing ANY restoration/preserving is be PATIENT. Taking your time being methodical is the best thing you can do. Example, if you run into a rusted screw, you have soaked the screw area in a penetrant and it’s seized up, do I drill it out and replace w/OEM screw or manufacture a screw. There are so many things to look at and consider.
Folks the best thing to do is research your firearm, is there available parts, what will my options be. There are some books on how to take care of old guns etc., and without me being accused of plagiarism I’ll drop this right here. Seems today there is some yahoo trying to make a buck for anything.
I am not very articulate and haven’t thought how to convey to a bunch of people how to do things. I just do them. For some reason a lot of this comes natural to me only because of the love it.
I will get some pics of my Great Grandfathers 1873 Winchester and attach as soon as I can take them.
I know this doesn’t answer any question on how to clean and restore but like most guns, time, patience, and even respect WILL make a difference in your project outcome.
Being this is a shotgun thread, if you have rust in the bore on a 12ga with some lead fouling and unburnt powder residue, take some 0000-steel wool wrap is around an old worn out 12ga bronze brush or get a 16ga bronze brush. Starting from the breech end of the barrel pull toward the muzzle while twisting the brush/steel wool. I took an old Stevens 89 and made a shooter out of it. It was left in an barn for about 40 years and found one day when they cleaned out a corner of old junk. It was in amazing shape but at least it had been out in west TX so humidity was not the killer diller like it would have been in east TX. But polished up the bore took it apart and inspected the internals cleaning as I went. Took a 12 ga shell case with just a primer in it and used it like a snap cap to insure firing pin travel & contact was still good. The old farmer took it out shooting and he was very happy camper.
Anyway off to take some pics.

Some of those pics, enjoy
001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

006.jpg

Here shows some of the pitting around the barrel/receiver ring which your best bet to leave well enough alone. Clean it and try your best to curtail any future corrosion.
008.jpg

Here is one of the cases that you leave the patina well enough alone as well. She is in pretty good shape for being as old as she is. The bore is the problem in that it is badly pitted. So I have decided she will look good on the wall. Thought about returning to Winchester for a refurb but then that would destroy my family connection so to speak.
009-1.jpg

Pitting around the muzzle which is common with Black Powder firearms of the day. Again clean it and leave it.
010-2.jpg

Back