• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Joined to ask a question...

wje210

Copper BB
Hey all,

My father recently gave me a .410 Home Defense gun (the one with the laser sight and vertical fore grip). I was recently struck by a bug to go trap shooting and wanted to purchase a longer barrel for it (18" won't cut it for me). It appears that Mossberg doesn't sell a barrel in .410 gauge. Any ideas on where to get one? I'd be willing to buy one off of a reputable member of this site. I'm not sure that the Bantam barrels will fit my gun as it looks like they have a different attachment mechanism on the tube.

Also, if my question is incorrectly addressed, an suggestions as to which topic this would appropriately fit under would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Welcome aboard!

I don't have any experience with .410 parts, but you should contact Victor and Cheryl Havlin at Havlin Sales. If it has to do with Mossberg, they should have the answer.

http://havlinsales.com/
636-937-6401

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Although I won't scoff at using a .410 (I have more 410's than any other shotgun gauge), but trap and skeet shooting would not rate very high up my list of things to use them for unless you've had some kind of physical impairment/injury that would prevent you from using something larger (20, 16, or 12 ga).

Welcome aboard. Hope you continue to follow the board and become an active member!

As yourself this one question, what does .410 ammo cost per box in your particular market? I'd be very curious to know myself.

.410 shells are more expensive than other gauges here.

I imagine they are everywhere else too.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!!!

I have a .410 also. We pay around $11 per box of 20 in the high speed #6 shot variety. Def more expensive than say a $5 box of 25 Federal Top Gun.

I wont disuade you from using a .410 if thats what you wanna do! We target shoot with the .410 every time we go out! Heck, I enjoy it, its so quick pointing and easy to use!

Mossberg does have .410 barrels. You just have to call them for the part number and can order it that way. As long as your 500 .410 is a 5 shot model, the barrels will interchange. We have a 24" fixed full choke barrel with vent rib, and on the rib, TruGlo 3 dot fiber optic sights which are awesome! My daughter likes to shoot 00 and 000 buck at clays with gun!

Oh, x2 on the Havlins! Ask Cheryl or Victor about the barrel and interchangability, and tell them we said hi!!!

Thanks for all the great information. A few replies:

@John A.
I do have an economic impairment... I'm on a student budget and would really just like to find out how expensive the barrel is vs. buying a 12 gauge. Also, I've shot 12 gauge trap before and would welcome the extra challenge.

@nitesite
I was forced to purchase a box of 25 Winchester high strength shells even though I don't plan on doing hand reloads. They were about 12.50 a box. I'm sure I can find it for cheaper in bulk around here.

@Rossignol
Your daughter must be quite a shot if she hits the clays with 000 buck!

She is a good shot! Thanks!

I should have mentioned though, we arent shooting trap or skeet, theyre stationary. I have a YouTube link in my sig, there are quite a few videos on there!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Like others have said you can get a barrel for your Mossberg 500 .410 but it might be cheaper to pick up a used 12g Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel.

51120.jpg

i definatly would go at least a 20 , even thought i did shot a 23/25 at 16yd one day with my 410 26in full choke, and 3 in shells , look on gun broker for a 410 barrel , or call vic at havalins sales,

wje210;

Your a better man then me for even trying to hit clays with a .410 :D :lol:
I do not have any info for you other then say: Good Luck.

Also; Welcome from the Free State of Arizona!

Lateck,

I think the .410 will pattern nicely to say 25 yards (thats with the fixed full choke), adequate for shooting clays! If you dont mind the cost of the shells, I recommend the Winchester high speed or AA! Even the high speed stuff doesnt recoil badly making the gun point and follow up very quickly!

Heck, you can pattern it with the HS barrel and see what happens!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum WJE210 !!

After your get your new barrel, stop back here and post some pics of the new setup... ;)

Yes everyone here has been extremely helpful and supportive. Looking forward to becoming a member of the community!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Mission accomplished Sir,

You're one of us now. We look forward to your contribution..

What the heck, Youre in! :D

Back