• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Learned my lesson about mixing calibers in the tumbler

honkey

.270 WIN
I haven't been able to start reloading yet since I need a desk to put the press on, but I was getting impatient to do something, so I decided to tumble all the brass I have been collecting. I had originally been thinking that I didn't need to polish the brass because shiny brass wouldn't matter to me, but when I went to the store today, I realized that I do care if it is shiny. So my brass is looking great now! However, in almost every .45 case, I have a 9mm case stuck inside and it is not easy to pull them out since there is not a lot to grip on to pull them apart. I'll be keeping my .45 and 9mm separate next time.

Ha! I did that once myseslf, very early on. I mixed .40S&W and 9mm, which is just horrible after they lock together! I also once used cheap crushed corncob meant for pet bedding (larger kernels) on .223 Rem brass, and it packed every case full and compacted it all in there so tight that every single case had to be individually dug out by hand and a tiny screwdriver... hundreds of them... took hours!

It's still going to happen occasionally when a single case sneaks thru when sorting them out, but it's usually just one or maybe two out of literally hundreds.

I ended up using the bullet pulled to get them unstuck... It went much faster than pulling them apart by hand.

I can tell a difference between the brass you gave me and the brass I polished. I am assuming you used corncob for it? The ground walnut shells I used got the job done, but it has a kind of cloudy look to it. I actually didn't notice until I pulled out the brass you gave me to compare them and then I saw that mine had a sort of lighter color to it.

I haven't done any reloading in quite a while but I will remember this when/if I pick it back up. At the time I was into it I was only reloading for 38/357 and 30-06 so I never experienced this issue.

Back