• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lessons learned

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Okay, so I had an incident this past weekend that very well could have been a home defense situation. Fortunately there was no gunfire. Local sheriff handled it.

Backstory-
Over the summer we hired what we thought was a reputable contractor, for an addition to our home. Turns out he was a CONtractor. In December when we finally realised what was up we terminated his services, asked for a refund, and filed a police report. He had not removed his job trailer from our property at that time.

Knowing where this might lead I moved the trailer to make it very inconvenient to be easily removed from the property.

Saturday morning, about 3:30 A.M. He showed up with 3 others to attempt to retrieve it.

When they realised it wasn't a hook and go situation, THEY KNOCKED ON MY DOOR.

reflecting on the situation this is where I find the flaws in my home defense "plan"

I was awoken by my Lab mix barking very loudly, I knew instantly he didn't want to be let out, and he didn't smell or hear your typical critter.

I got out of bed quickly, knowing this wasn't normal. I didnt grab my closet gun, just my EDC handgun, from off the top of the refrigerator as I came out of the bedroom. I left it in the holster, a Vedder IWB kydex. (Mistake 1)

As I crossed the kitchen and saw the dog barking at the door, I heard knocking, I didn't think to look out the kitchen window across the front porch (mistake two)

As I got to the front door I looked out the windows, which are on the top portion of the door, I could see a pickup truck sitting in the yard, but didn't see TWO people standing on my front porch, because 1, I didn't think to turn on the porch light (mistake 3) and even if I had it had only been working intermittently. I had been slacking on replacing it. (Mistake 4)

Those have now been replaced with motion detector style lights.

I cracked the door just enough, that was when I realised there were 2 people, what I didnt realise was one of them was the CONtractor. (This is what made me realise I dont process very well within the first minute or so of waking up, realistically it was maybe 30 seconds) He tried to tell me he had an email from the investigating officer saying it was okay to come get the trailer. I asked when the email was from, he replied 2 days ago. My wife and I had just met with the investigator 6 hours before, to discuss the trailer. So I knew that was BS.

I told them no, absolutely not, and closed the door. About this time, (maybe a minute and a half in) my wife comes in carrying her phone and calls the sheriff. I stay by the door as these two walk back and just wait by the truck, where a 3rd guy is standing, they get into the truck, sheriff shows up orders hands out of the windows, turns out there's 4 people total, and the sheriff handles it from there.

So, along with my realizations of how poorly prepared I was, I've also figured out I can leave the blinds on the windows open just enough that with the porch well lit, I can see out, but can't be seen inside. And I know which windows to check first, before actually approaching the door.

It pays to VERIFY that your home defense plan will work if its needed.

Also, you can't just pop up ready to do battle like in the movies. I dont think there's a way to mitigate that. Thats why layers of security are important.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Something tells me you'll be one heck of a lot better next time, if there is one. In fact, I suspect you will be better than 99.9% of the general population. :thumbsup: Take care. Tom Worthington

Glad to hear it didn't turn violent. I assume you are holding the trailer until you get your money back? 0330 they were obviously looking to hook and book with the trailer. Hope it works out for you...

You could do tests with a couple of friends now and then and try different scenarios.. with dummy guns /props.. evaluate.. what if this ? and then try it.. what if that ? and try it..

Glad for the positive outcome. I’ve always been fascinated by lighting for some reason. Move it here, aim it there, actuate it like this.. I don’t live in the country, just the burbs. I have a city owned street light on the power pole in my front yard, that lights up the yard ok, but isn’t a deterrent as the partial stripping of tools from my old,locked work truck could attest. My porch light goes on at dusk and covers the porch, parts of the driveway and some of the yard through the glass door at the other end of the porch. I have several of those motion detectors that can be adjusted for all sorts of parameters that I wired up as stand alone switches that each power an additional outside the porch porch light or two as well as a regular power outlet. That way I can plug in various other lights or alerts. My little alarm clock from my working days is plugged into one of those outlets as it’s old school, with the simple beeping every time it powers up, just like the microwave when you plug it in.lol but it doesn’t stop until you set a new time, or when the motion detector shuts off again. I spent quite a while setting the range of motions to just the right sweep. No cars or pedestrians set them off, but nothing reaches the middle of the yard or driveway without the fine how do you do..lol A walled choke point makes them work to get to the porch, and a 69 cent hook and eye on the screen door will give me a few more seconds before they reach the front door. A great hobby with hopefully a practical happy ending..lol

I have exterior cameras. I always check prior to answering the door, esp at night.

Had too many sketchy people knocking at the door, sometimes with individuals hanging back but visible in the camera.

Also catch a lot on camera trying the door prior to knocking when I review the DVR recording. There is no reason to do this unless you are up to no good.

3:30AM is when people are up to no good. It is the witching hour - because most people are asleep at that time.

Cameras are very handy, and detur people from coming on to your property. Nobody wants to be caught on camera. Period.

You do bring up some good pointers which will be handy for others to learn from.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do appreciate it, and glad everyone was safe in the end!

3:30AM is when people are up to no good. It is the witching hour - because most people are asleep at that time.

Cameras are very handy, and detur people from coming on to your property. Nobody wants to be caught on camera. Period.

You do bring up some good pointers which will be handy for others to learn from.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do appreciate it, and glad everyone was safe in the end!

Im not convinced cameras deter that many. Some look at the camera and continue to check cars doors etc. Much like the police they help a little after the fact.

I use them mostly to keep tabs when I'm not home or when I want to see what's in the drive or porch without opening the door

That said my DVR was used in a murder investigation. ....seriously.

Please do not attempt to clear your home and property yourself. Leave that to the professionals. Also don't engage the intruder(s) unless forced into the confrontation.

The OP was in a four on one confrontation which, IMHO, would have resulted in a negative outcome.

If you have a community watch go to a couple of meetings and ask questions of the LEOs in attendance.

Please do not attempt to clear your home and property yourself. Leave that to the professionals. Also don't engage the intruder(s) unless forced into the confrontation.

The OP was in a four on one confrontation which, IMHO, would have resulted in a negative outcome.

If you have a community watch go to a couple of meetings and ask questions of the LEOs in attendance.
Fortunately the situation didn't escalate. I'm sure in part due to 3 of the 4 being currently on probation, and the 4th being on parole. So I'm sure none of them were armed. The biggest thing I took away from it was my lack of situational awareness. And my lack of preparing, and utilizing layers of security.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back