• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Machetes

View attachment 22826
View attachment 22827

It doesn’t look a whole lot different from my crappy pics but have been using the Worksharp as sharpener and grinder today.

I started with a hand file to work out all the gouges in the edge. Then spent more time grinding and working the pitting and bits of rust off the blade and in particular the big bevel.

Then I spent some time on the hand grip. Did some sanding and managed to get a lot of the gouges out without changing the shape. Some of the deepest gouges will remain but I think it goes with the patina on the blade.

If anyone has any ideas about where this thing was made or when I’d be really interested to hear. It doesn’t scream homemade to me, given the plastic handle and the fact I know it’s at least as old as I am and older...

black jb weld or tinted bondo could be used to fill the dents. then paint it.
Or if you could take the handles off maybe use a heat gun to soften the dented areas and push em out from the inside? idk how thick or hollow it is.

Now i got tempted to bring out one of my Tramontina bolos and continue work. I'm sanding the handle and making a continuous/even edge all the way to the tip. Factory edge wasn't all the way and not even. It's soon finished... All by hand ( i have no machines ) so it takes some time. But i got plenty of free time now :D

View attachment 22828

that looks brand new!!!

black jb weld or tinted bondo could be used to fill the dents. then paint it.
Or if you could take the handles off maybe use a heat gun to soften the dented areas and push em out from the inside? idk how thick or hollow it is.
The handles are definitely solid pieces. I think I'd rather put new scales on it than go much further with them. Removal wouldn't be easy with the tools I have on hand, I'd go buy an angle grinder and buzz through all four pins.

Would be a good excuse to buy one. I've been wrestling this with my Scottish nature for a few months now and it's still winning...lol.

You could hand file off the rounded pin heads, then use a center punch to beat the pin back through, resting it on the jaws of a vice, with the jaws open just enough to let the pins through. This way you may be able to use the grips as a pattern for the new ones.

What kind of wood do you have available to you?

You could hand file off the rounded pin heads, then use a center punch to beat the pin back through, resting it on the jaws of a vice, with the jaws open just enough to let the pins through. This way you may be able to use the grips as a pattern for the new ones.

What kind of wood do you have available to you?
Oh...you think I've got wood for projects that don't require a hammer or an impact driver and a 3" screw??? You're a funny guy Rip. Lol!

The pins are really flat and flush, like they were pressed in and the tops flattened out...I think I might have to try to hollow out around the pins and maybe then I could cut the tops and then pound em out with a punch. I could probably trace them while they're still whole...lol before trying to remove them.

Oh...you think I've got wood for projects that don't require a hammer or an impact driver and a 3" screw??? You're a funny guy Rip. Lol!

The pins are really flat and flush, like they were pressed in and the tops flattened out...I think I might have to try to hollow out around the pins and maybe then I could cut the tops and then pound em out with a punch. I could probably trace them while they're still whole...lol before trying to remove them.

Well, if does happen to ruin em, no worries, the pattern is still the machete.

Might be easier to drill the head off

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought of that after too. I do have a good set of carbide drill bits. I'm just not sure I actually want to change the grips on it yet. Besides, the spine of the blade isn't terribly thick...it's only about an 1/8". I don't know how much I would actually use this for bushwhacking...except for viney stuff. Most mountainous terrain here is real woody and not viney at all. It would be fine for undergrowth and nasty crap like Devil's Club and stinging nettles though.

I'm really interested in getting a good, hefty machete that's more in the 14" blade range. That would make a good companion to my Estwing Camper's Axe...which I love. I use that $h*t on everything......LOL

Last edited:
@nitesite I was browsing over at Remington Owners and you mentioned this in an old thread from '15..... "All I have is a Ka-Bar 10" heavy blade woods knife and an Ontario Knife Company OKC 18" U.S. Military machete..."

Was wondering if you have any pics of that 18" OKC blade?

Yeah, I thought of that after too. I do have a good set of carbide drill bits. I'm just not sure I actually want to change the grips on it yet. Besides, the spine of the blade isn't terribly thick...it's only about an 1/8". I don't know how much I would actually use this for bushwhacking...except for viney stuff. Most mountainous terrain here is real woody and not viney at all. It would be fine for undergrowth and nasty crap like Devil's Club and stinging nettles though.

I'm really interested in getting a good, hefty machete that's more in the 14" blade range. That would make a good companion to my Estwing Camper's Axe...which I love. I use that $h*t on everything......LOL
I got an Ontario SP8 survival machete for Christmas. I really havnt used it much, so cant give an honest review. But it is a heavy blade, with a good handle. I keep it in the vehicle. And it's only around 70 dollars IIRC

I got an Ontario SP8 survival machete for Christmas. I really havnt used it much, so cant give an honest review. But it is a heavy blade, with a good handle. I keep it in the vehicle. And it's only around 70 dollars IIRC

I've just ordered a CRKT Halfachance Parang...lead times are pretty long right now, but it should arrive in a few weeks I hope.

crkt-halfachance-14-inch-parang-machete-with-sheath~2.jpg

Back