• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Heat Shields

tomservo92

.270 WIN
I discovered two problems with my new ATI heat shield:

1. Tightening the forward screws too much was causing a misalignment of the barrel and magazine and putting a bind on the magazine screw.

2. Because the forward screws weren't as tight as they should be, recoil caused the shield to " walk" down the barrel after each shot (something I would have known beforehand if I had just searched this forum).

My solution (which I haven't tested at the range yet) is to install a CDM Gear BMT mag clamp just ahead of the heat shield. It serves the purpose of keeping the barrel and mag tube properly aligned and providing additional support to the shield. Plus I can add a sling swivel to it in the future.

The clamp is a very nice piece. It's made of 6061 aluminum and includes 3M polyurethane "no slip" grip pads to protect the finish and stop sliding.

I hope to hit the range soon and try it out.

qesaru9a.jpg

ugeta9ut.jpg

a7yru4yt.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

Nice solution Tom.

Had a chance to try it out yet?
 

tomservo92

.270 WIN
Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice solution Tom.

Had a chance to try it out yet?

Not yet. Might get a chance next weekend.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

Looks good Tom...that's what I like to see, people using their heads for something other than a hat rack.
 

tomservo92

.270 WIN
Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

ripjack13 said:
Looks good Tom...that's what I like to see, people using their heads for something other than a hat rack.

Thanks. I just hope the mag clamp doesn't slip as well. I chose the BMT due to the large surface area and the non-slip pads.
 

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Re: Problem with ATI heat shield and my solution

If it still slips, you could put a small strip of double stick carpet tape on it. Not enough to show, but enough to keep it in place.....
 
ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

After ordering one I have seen some things that I didn't like. What are you folks thoughts on these heat shields? Did you have problems with them of any kind. Please let me know. Thank you. :?:
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

Did this CDM Gear BMT mag clamp work? If so, how much are they and where can I get one? I liked what you did with it. always like folks that thinks out of the box. Let me know if you would.
Thank you.
 

tomservo92

.270 WIN
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

michaeld1953 said:
Did this CDM Gear BMT mag clamp work? If so, how much are they and where can I get one? I liked what you did with it. always like folks that thinks out of the box. Let me know if you would.
Thank you.

I haven't been to the range yet but I will post a report here when I do. I'm hoping to try it out next Saturday. I also just installed a Limbsaver too so I'm really anxious to get out there!

The only place I found it in stock:

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/CDM-BMT-Clamp-for-Shotguns-CDM-BMT.htm

It looks like they're out but it's on order. They shipped very fast. No problems at all with the purchase.
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

I just got an email from the owner and they are in process of making them. So will just wait to hear from you as to whether it worked or not. Email me at remcoma@aol.com
Thank you, hope it is a successful test.
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

Okay, on the heat shield. Of course from experience you know they slip, so do they. They had actually discontinued the Halo Heat shields for an 88 but brought them back due to high demand. Vortex offers an ATI aluminum set of ghost sights, BUT they will only fit on the 500 series heat shield which will not fit an 88. Obviously a taper on the barrell that was not compensated for and the clamp may have the same problem. I am going to contact Scott the manufacturer of the clamp and let him know because if he was to make the clamps with the taper then it would not slip. Will let you know what I find out and let me know when you go to the range.
 

tomservo92

.270 WIN
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

michaeld1953 said:
Okay, on the heat shield. Of course from experience you know they slip, so do they. They had actually discontinued the Halo Heat shields for an 88 but brought them back due to high demand. Vortex offers an ATI aluminum set of ghost sights, BUT they will only fit on the 500 series heat shield which will not fit an 88. Obviously a taper on the barrell that was not compensated for and the clamp may have the same problem. I am going to contact Scott the manufacturer of the clamp and let him know because if he was to make the clamps with the taper then it would not slip. Will let you know what I find out and let me know when you go to the range.

I really believe mine was slipping due to not being able to completely tighten the forward screws. When I did, it was wedging between the barrel and magazine and pushing them apart. I believe the same thing would happen on a 500 with the 7 round mag and 20" barrel. I believe that with the 5 round mag it isn't a problem since the shield butts up against the barrel support (I don't have a shotgun with a 5 round mag so I'm not 100% on this).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

Tom I noticed on yours you had a rail next 2 the CDM Gear BMT mag clamp did this aid in holding the heat shield? Or did it attach and what is it used for?
 

tomservo92

.270 WIN
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

michaeld1953 said:
Tom I noticed on yours you had a rail next 2 the CDM Gear BMT mag clamp did this aid in holding the heat shield? Or did it attach and what is it used for?

It's part of the heat shield.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

I have heard some real good reviews on the Mossberg 95066 which is parkerized. Made for the 500 but fits strong on the 88. Impact guns had the best price at $37.99. They say it will not slip. I got my Phoenix Kicklite Tactical 6 position stock today in the mail ands put her on and it went on like a breeze and that is comfortable. Looks good to. Now I just need the right heat shield and sights and I am done with it................maybe! :)
 
Re: ATI Deluxe Halo Heat Shields

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got that ATI heat shield for the Maverick 88 and it is not a good purchase. I can not find another heat shield for it. Are there any ideas out there, suggestions will be appreciated, Mine is an 18.5" barrel. The good ones are made for 20" plus unribbed barrels. I have not found a single manufacturer. Is there anything out there? That thing they sent me was all metal to metal contact, no thanks.
 
Need heat shield options for my 88 and not ATI

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got that ATI heat shield for the Maverick 88 and it is not a good product. I can not find another heat shield for it. Are there any ideas out there, suggestions will be appreciated, Mine is an 18.5" barrel. Other manufacturers? The good ones are made for 20" plus unribbed barrels. I have not found a single manufacturer. Is there anything out there? That thing they sent me was all metal to metal contact, no thanks. My barrel length is 18.5" long. Even Mossberg does not offer one which burns me. They could have made it with the same quality as the ones for the 500/535 etc. Any ideas guys. I want a heat shield on this shotgun. Help??
 
Top