• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model 342 .22 Questions

Gary R

Copper BB
Hello, I am repairing a stock for a model 342 that was damaged around the rear side mounted sight.
I have replaced a section of wood, and want to cut out for the sight and make it look original.
I have searched the internet and cant find a good photo of a original gun, that shows the shape of the cutout.
I was wondering if anyone has a photo that I could use to make the cut ?

I was also wondering what type of finish was used on the metal parts, to me it looks to be an enamel type paint.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Gary

Thank you for your help, but this is for a early model 342 with the rear peep sight mounted on the left side rear of the gun.
the photos you provided are of a later model gun with the rear sights mounted in the middle of the barrel.
Thanks for your help
Gary

410928166.jpg

410928171.jpg

410928165.jpg

410928172.jpg

Depth is actually about 3/8"

410928163.jpg

410928170.jpg

MooseMeat Thank you very much for the great photos and measurements!
I only wish that your post was a bit sooner! LOL
I thought I was finished, but after looking at your great photos I see that a little fine tuning is still needed.
My cut out is small for the sight opening and I rounded the corners and it appears they should
have been more of a square cut out.
Thank you very much for your photos and measurements, I will be using them to correct my mistakes!
Thanks again
Gary
005_zpsf3zifojm-1-1.jpg

014_zpsm14kmvdk-1.jpg

27_zps707fr1u5-1.jpg

43_zpszernnqqo.jpg

After I joined I realized it was a month old, But I took a chance, thinking you might not have started it yet.

Glad to be able to help out a little.

Your repair looks great. And how do you like your Tipton gun vise? I'm looking for a new one.

The Tipton vise is ok, I have both styles.
But they get used most of the time, as a gun rack on the work bench
for projects.

Back