• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans??

Hey! You made it on! Excellent.....

Everyone...Gutkowski is my friend. He's the one I got the Mosin from....
Great pic too!

I haven't shot it yet. But today was a good day for it. I hoping this weekend I can go out to the feilds and try out.....maybe even a trip after work to cabelas to get more ammo....

440 rounds?! thats great! I have no problem going for that deal...thanx sniper.

I bought the case 880 rounds, It has the can opener, Some think the opener is worth it to get the case, I haven't tried to open a spam can without one.
Just a thought.

How much of a pita is it to open it without the can opener?

ripjack13 said:
How much of a pita is it to open it without the can opener?
I think it was a PITA even WITH the opener :lol: But only on the corners.

There are quite a few youtube video's about the ins and outs of opening them, I'm not sure a regular home can opener would work, It may not be large enough.

No problem rip,

I bought 880 as well. At the time, they were shipping the 880rd orders in a cool surplus wooden crate...

Oh and yes, the spam cans are always a PIT[*]A whether you have their can opener or not. I had to buy my wife a new can opener after I broke the one from the kitchen to get into the first can. She got a new fancy electric one outta the deal and I had to promise not to touch it.......ever.......

Wow...I really like the color of your mosin sniper. Thats sweet lookin.

Thanks rip,

The m44 was in rough shape when I got it, so I refinished it in several coats of red mahogany. I think it turned out pretty nice...

Here is a M28 that I had given to me years ago that was not in the greatest shape and never actually realized its value and the rarity of it until I sold it lol

DSCF1200.jpg

The rifle had zero bluing left to it and the stock was not in the best shape either but because the stock was matched and stamped for the rifle and not sure if I could ever find another I went and refinished that too

Here are a few pics of what it looked like before I started .

DSCF1199.jpg

DSCF1195.jpg

m283.jpg

m281.jpg

m28.jpg

After a bit of sanding and some cold bluing , this is what I accomplished ,

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0674.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

DSCF0670.jpg

Very nice. You sold it? Bummer. I'd be interested in knowing if they'd sell it back to you. You could say it was a family heirloom....?

One of these days we should get together so you can show me how to blue properly.

ripjack13 said:
Very nice. You sold it? Bummer. I'd be interested in knowing if they'd sell it back to you. You could say it was a family heirloom....?

One of these days we should get together so you can show me how to blue properly.

Well I actually traded it for that trench gun I showed you when you were over , ya for sure I will show you my method of cold bluing its easy

Gutkowski said:
ripjack13 said:

Well I actually traded it for that trench gun I showed you when you were over , ya for sure I will show you my method of cold bluing its easy
If it was a real trenchgun, I would have traded as well.

VitSports6 said:
Gutkowski said:
ripjack13 said:

If it was a real trenchgun, I would have traded as well.
No it was the Norinco Model 97 that I traded for great copy and worked for my WWII Marine Impression when I was doing living history the current sale price of of a Norinco Model 97 is around $500

I had some free time today and decided to investigate what it would take to make a flash hider for my mosin nagant (just for fun). I found a spent CO2 cylinder which I thought would make a great start to the project. I didn't measure anything except the barrels inside and outside diameters (.308 and .580 respectively). Everything was done free hand since my time was limited and I would have spent too much time to properly set up equipment. I need to figure out how to securely attach it to the barrel before testing. Do you guys have any experience constructing your own flash hiders? Do you know of any hiders for the mosin currently on the market? Please give any opinions or advise you might have. :) Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 344

I have zilch exp in making those. But it seem interesting. Super glue is out of the question ;) is the barrel threadable?

Side note...I need to add my mosin in my sig now....
:)

ripjack13 said:
I have zilch exp in making those. But it seem interesting. Super glue is out of the question ;) is the barrel threadable?

Side note...I need to add my mosin in my sig now....
:)

I considered super glue. :lol: ( I will not discount any possible solution when developing mods)
I also am considering threading the barrel or drilling and tapping the flash hider for anchoring screws.
The fit on the barrel is tight. The barrel has ridges and I have to perform twisting motion on the hider to get it on. Maybe some kind of fancy, futuristic looking clamp would work better. It would dissipate heat and make the flash hider removable without having to alter the rifle.
I welcome all ideas and suggestions. Thanks. :)

Mosin Nagant?

My LGS is selling Mosin Nagants in exceellent condition with a bayonet for $100. I am thinking about getting one for my brother to use when we go hog hunting. (I am going to stick to my Mossy 500 with slugs) I have always thought that they were pretty neat guns so I would also have fun with it at the range. I would not sporterize the rifle, but would probably get a sling for it. Do you guys think this is a bad plan? I had been thinking about a 100ATR 30-06, but the Mosin Nagants are in such great condition. I know they are powerful enough and accurate, so the only con I am seeing is the weight. Here is a link:
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/inde ... s_id=80111

Re: Mosin Nagant?

I've got two. An m44 and a 91/30. They're simple, accurate, and powerful rifles. Major upside for the Mosin is the pricing and availability of surplus 7.62x54r ammo. Picked up a couple 440rd spam cans from AIM for $77.95ea...

Russian 7.62x54r 147gr FMJ 440rd Can

You may want to take a look through our Mosin thread...

Mosin Nagant

Back