• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 field/security combo action slide too short for magpul forend

So I bought this model in 2021 with nice, tasteful wood furniture. Wood is great, but not as practical as magpul grip and m lok rails for a flashlight (primarily home defense gun). Ordered the Magpul SGA stock and Magpul MOE Forend. Stock is now attached, but when I tried to add the forend, the action slide wouldn't come all the way through the forend, so I was unable to attach the nut at the end (see pics).

I googled this and it looks like I either need to buy a whole new action slide that's 7 5/8 inch (mine is 6 3/4 inch which is apparently what comes with wood furniture, the black one comes 7 5/8), or buy an adapter to extend the action slide. I'm told the Hogue forend adapter works for Magpul by some, but not so by others.

Should I:

1. Buy a whole new 7 5/8 inch action slide for 50-100$
OR

2) Take a chance and buy an adapter nut to extend my current action slide? Anyone know of any that work for this exact gun?IMG-0859.jpgIMG-0858.jpgIMG-0856.jpg

I had a pinned forend on my gun and literally just got the 6 3/4" steel action slide Friday, (Midwest gun works has them for 39 dollars instead of getting gouged on eBay).

I also ordered the hogue adapter nut for $13 with shipping (part #05020) and it fits the hogue forend but also works with the factory corn cob forend made for a 7 3/4" slide. I can't see how it wouldn't work with the Magpul if it works on the factory one. I don't own a Magpul forend though but like Ernst said, it's so cheap just buy it. Worst case scenario return it.

But...Im like 90% sure the hogue adapter works with any aftermarket forend. It just extends the tube length to the full 7-3/4"

I had a pinned forend on my gun and literally just got the 6 3/4" steel action slide Friday, (Midwest gun works has them for 39 dollars instead of getting gouged on eBay).

I also ordered the hogue adapter nut for $13 with shipping (part #05020) and it fits the hogue forend but also works with the factory corn cob forend made for a 7 3/4" slide. I can't see how it wouldn't work with the Magpul if it works on the factory one. I don't own a Magpul forend though but like Ernst said, it's so cheap just buy it. Worst case scenario return it.

But...Im like 90% sure the hogue adapter works with any aftermarket forend. It just extends the tube length to the full 7-3/4"
Thanks for the reply! I'm just not optimistic about modifying the magpul forend with a dremel to make it fit the action slide. Is anyone aware of any extenders for the action slide that would fit the magpul stock?

Thank you! Are you aware of any adapters that would fit the magpul without modifications?
I'm not aware of any other adapters on the market. I know a few folks in the past have modified Magpul forends without issues.

Seems that modifying the forend or replace the action tube are your only choices.

Good luck

Thank you! Are you aware of any adapters that would fit the magpul without modifications?

If shipping weren't more expensive than the part I'd just send you the adapter nut to try lol. The adapter nut just extends the tube length. It's slightly thicker so at the absolute worst you'd have to take sandpaper to the inside of the forend at the end inch. Or... for around 10 bucks someone here would buy it off you. No money lost trying the hogue part...

I didn’t know of any “adapter” nut. I found the 7 3/4” action tube for $70 at Midwestgunworks an built my Magpul forend.

Thanks for the reply! I'm just not optimistic about modifying the magpul forend with a dremel to make it fit the action slide. Is anyone aware of any extenders for the action slide that would fit the magpul stock?

The Hogue nut IS the adapter, so to speak... The SW is not letting me post a link so the URL follows...

657322120.800x800.jpg

Seems to be some confusion about these adapters. On a Magpul forend you can use a barrel sander to slightly round out the opening. I think this diagram should show how it's used on a hogue forend but similar on a magpul.

hogue-shotgun-stocks-mossberg-500-forend-adapter_54-1225_a.jpg

Thank you all! I ordered the Hogue adapter nut, shipping was almost as much as the nut lol, and the cheapest deal I could find will take till the end of the month to get here. I called my Father in Law, he has a Dremel he can show me how to use to modify the magpul to fit the action slide with extender. I'll post back again with updates when I get the nut and try the project!

Quick tip. Put a liberal amount of anti seize on the threads of the adapter & tube. The threads are SUPER FINE to begin with, and I dunno if I just got a bad one or they are all like this but I had a heck of a time getting the threads started on mine. Ended up messing up a couple threads and had to clean them up. I put some anti seize on and it was much easier to get them started. I never had this issue with the standard Mossberg tube nut.

Here you can see how little if any you would need to sand the inside of the forend to get the nut to fit inside, it's barely .035 thicker.

PXL_20230922_161212629.MP.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I got the Hogue nut sooner than expected. My mother in law brought over a dremel and I watched a bunch of Youtube videos that were interesting but not really what I did. Most guides seem to show dremmeling off the top of the forend itself to make room, and also shaving a lot out of the back inner ribbing to get the action slide deeper in. Instead of that, I simply took the dremel and haphazardly widened the front opening (the end closest to the choke) until I could fit the Hogue nut into the forend via trial and error. It's probably pretty ugly, but it works. IMG-0896.jpgIMG-0898.jpgIMG-0900.jpgIMG-0895.jpg

Here is my last question, though: should I alter the rear opening of the magpul forend by dremelling the ribs back about 1/8" so that the action slide is more completely covered, or does it even matter if the forend covers the action slide? My old wood furniture covered the entire action slide, but this Magpul forend doesn't and the action slide sticks out of the back. Does having that exposed collect dirt or debris or anything? IMG-0894.jpg

Very nice work! Look into an XS Big Dot front sight, I put one on mine, and I love it!

I don't think the forend not completely covering the action slide tube will affect functionality at all, it's strictly cosmetic. If you're viewing this as a working defense gun, ignore it. If you're OCD about the looks, probably should have gotten the longer slide tube like I did, but you saved a bunch of dough and it is perfectly functional.

I don't know if you're planning on adding a light on the forend, but if you are, check out my build at the thread below. I at first put a Magpul sling mount up front but it interfered with the light after I added it and I could not get the light where I wanted it and the front sling attachment point where I wanted it, so I did a paracord workaround which worked quite well.

Nice gun you have there!

Here is my last question, though: should I alter the rear opening of the magpul forend by dremelling the ribs back about 1/8" so that the action slide is more completely covered, or does it even matter if the forend covers the action slide? My old wood furniture covered the entire action slide, but this Magpul forend doesn't and the action slide sticks out of the back. Does having that exposed collect dirt or debris or anything? View attachment 29839
Good job and looks very functional to me. I'd leave it as it is assuming the fit is solid.

Congrats on your willingness to take this modification on. It looks great!

Regards

Last edited:
Here is my last question, though: should I alter the rear opening of the magpul forend by dremelling the ribs back about 1/8" so that the action slide is more completely covered, or does it even matter if the forend covers the action slide? My old wood furniture covered the entire action slide, but this Magpul forend doesn't and the action slide sticks out of the back. Does having that exposed collect dirt or debris or anything? View attachment 29839

You may not have the forend all the way on the tube, on the hogue one you have to kinda open the end up and press hard to get it to go over the last 1/2" of the square part where the action bars are.

Yea I definitely don't think you have it on all the way, I just browsed through some pics online of other Magpul forends on 500/590's and they all show the end of the slide tube tucked neatly inside the forend and not exposed on the end like yours.

(Random internet image...)
magpul_sga_forend_mossberg590.jpg

I know the hogue forend is very different but mine looked exactly like yours with the end sticking out before I wiggled and pressed it down hard on the tube. Once it seats it's a very identifiable as being locked on all the way and it sits perfectly flush. But you have to kind pry open those two top corners to get it over the last 1/2".

PXL_20230924_170738897.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Back