• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

10/06/2011: Received my FedEx Return Label:

It's addressed to:
Javier Contreras
Maverick Arms, Inc
Eagle Pass, TX

I probably won't be able to send it out until this coming Monday.

Our records indicate that the following shipment has been delivered:

Reference: ATTN: ERIKA
Ship (P/U) date: Oct 10, 2011
Delivery date: Oct 13, 2011 1:17 PM
Sign for by: JJIMENEZ
Delivery location: Eagle Pass, TX
Service type: FedEx Ground
Packaging type: Package
Number of pieces: 1
Weight: 10.90 lb.
Special handling/Services: Package Returns Program

I'll start the clock on Monday on the Quoted 2 week turn around time. But I rather they take their time and make sure it's all good.

6243430801_b025c10d40_z.jpg
6243430797_1b07b45e23_z.jpg
6243430787_696beed1c2_z.jpg
I just got my SPX spring from FedEx today, took it out and measured it with the stock HS spring. Two differences, 1. the stock HS is thicker 2. the SPX spring seems to lighter and has a totally different look to it. When I load the 7 rounds in the mag with the HS spring I got all 7 to load properly as well with the SPX spring, unloading was the same also I see no notable difference between the two.

The stock Home Security spring came in at 22.5 inches and the SPX spring was 36 inches and I caught hell putting it in the mag tube. Since this is the correct spring, I'm going to keep it in the tube and let it get broken in and keep the HS spring as a back-up. As of today I have over 200 rnds of assorted #8 bird shot to 3" 00 buck and slugs in her and no ftf or fte so far.

I'm only slightly ahead of you.

Tracking Number: 1Z3115250310132257Service:UPS GroundWeight:12.00 lbsShipped/Billed On:10/03/2011Delivered On: 10/06/2011 11:55 A.M. Delivered To: EAGLE PASS, TX, US Signed By:MONTALVOLeft At:Front Desk

I'm fighting the urge to call and check up...

10/18/2011 About 8:45am PST: Spoke with Erika, she confirms receipt of the shotgun and informs me they have started repairs this past Friday, told me to call back about Thursday for an update.

10/21/11: 8:40am PST: Spoke with Veronica. No clue or notes when shotgun will be done, told me that it should take 15-21 days from receipt. Told me to call back next week. :roll:

930 jams, sticking piston

I'm having a problem with my 930, the piston frequently sticks when cycling. When it sticks, It requires a good smack forward on the operating handle to get it to go fully into battery.

Gun has been cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, and then cleaned some more. Fully field stripped, cleaned, lubed properly, inspected, etc. so it's not because anything is dirty or unlubed.

Most of the time the piston is really tight and requires quite a lot of force to move it. It's pretty hard to remove for cleaning. Putting the piston back in takes a good couple smacks by hand.

it's not the ammo either. i've tried target loads, magnum loads, 00 buck, slugs, and everything in between, same results no matter what ammo. so the problem is not ammo related.

Anyone else have similar problems? Any solutions?

111.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Re: 930 jams, sticking piston

Did you try taking the rings off of the piston and cleaning the piston? Also the parts have to go back in a specific orientation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oW1wJis9LY[/youtube]

10/24/11 @ 2:52pm PST: Spoke with David, informed me that they more time with it. Also asked me what was wrong with it. Hmmmm...I printed out this whole blog and wrapped it around the shotgun and also tagged it and placed blue masking tape all over the shotgun with description of issues.

rickman said:
Did you try taking the rings off of the piston and cleaning the piston? Also the parts have to go back in a specific orientation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oW1wJis9LY

didn't see anything about disassembling the piston in the manual :oops:

followed the vid, disassembled the piston. took about a half hour to remove all the carbon under the rings, the fouling was truly epic! :shock:

piston cycles smooth as silk now :mrgreen:

Awesome video. I've got it bookmarked now. Next cleaning its going to have the piston cleaned under the rings. Many thanks!

10/27/11 @ 1:40pm PST: Spoke with David, told me they are shipping out today, gave me a tracking #.
Told me they replaced and done a lot of work to the SPX :eek: But again asked me what was wrong with it......

Hopefully David was in customer service and don't know what was done to fix the gun. I have a feeling you won't know what they did to fix the gun either.

Yes, David was a CS rep. I actually don't really care what they did or replaced, especially because it's under warranty. I just want a reliable, acceptable quality shotgun and functions as advertised.

I had the same problem with a used 930SPX I purchased.

Glad it helped you out.

As a side note, I also wiped out the inside area (spring) where the piston fits into really good before putting the piston back in as well. Mine as a red spring. I read somewhere online that the red spring is a weaker rated spring that allows the use of lower powered shells. There is also a blue and a black spring but not sure what they are used for.

Back