• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

Welcome. Look's like it's a 1996. As far as value goes you can look on a site like Gun broker.com and see what they are going for.
Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

A basic field grade 500a that vintage is worth anywhere from $200-$300, maybe less, maybe more if it is a specialty model. Low use, excellent condition will demand a premium. Well loved, nicks and dings, not so much. :) Keep in mind a new Mossberg 88 is $200-$250...

The advanced search feature on GB has a "completed listings" feature which you should use to see what similar models sold for and go from there.

Welcome. Looking at our data base it's a 1983 model.
Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our database.

My father-in-law just gave me a 12 ga Mossy 500 with 28" AccuChoke barrel, J085xxx, so I'm thinking 1983, right? I didn't think they made accuchoke back then

Congrats, nice gift! Yes it's a 1983. Not sure when Mossberg came out with their accuchoke.

I have a 500 24" barrel, Camo finish, If I remember correctly, it was sold as a turkey gun. It is a 12g Pump action. serial number is P203531.
I don't know much more than that. the gun was stored in a safe for 15 years. Any more information you could find out for me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Look's like it's a 1997 model. Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

This is a big project folks, and Old Mossy has done a great job getting it rolling.

Mossberg serial numbers are typically 7-characters. They have a letter prefix and then 6 numbers, like this: A123456 or Z654321. ALPHA comes before BRAVO, and 100000 comes before 900000. So far it looks like this:
  • 500 / 590 / Revelation / New Haven 600 all use standard sequence
  • 535 have AT prefix - AT147xxx
  • 835 have UM (UltiMag) prefix - UM509xxx
  • Maverick 88 have MV (Maverick) prefix, 5 numbers, and letter. Like this: MV12345 K

This post will be updated as we gather data.

So, I just picked up a Mossberg 500A with serial number 64652. I was trying to guess what year it might be from, I was thinking 1965 ish because it only has one action bar. I am glad to see this post! It looks like a late 1967. It's in rough shape cosmetically, someone swapped the stock for a 80's model at some point, but it functions! I might try to source an original 67 stock, that'll be easy, right? haha. Thanks for keeping this page going!

Back