• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Maverick 590-ish

Larry23433

.270 WIN
Figured I'd show my budget build maverick/590 lol

I built this gun several years ago but figured I'd show it off. It started life as a really really beat to death Maverick 88 I picked up at a pawn shop for $50 and traded an old argon tank with it. The receiver was still in good shape so I literally just stripped it bare, cleaned up all the other parts and sold them. I drilled and tapped the receiver and added the pic rail (don't make fun of my cheap red dot lol, it was a budget build and I've already got plans to replace that with my swampfox sentinel). Bought all new internals, Added the 20" 590 barrel and mag tube. Added a hogue stock, still has the factory pinned forend but I'm replacing that soon with the steel action slide tube and the hogue forend. I put in a Mcarbo trigger kit and polished up the trigger. Has a Defender Tactical cartridge adapter and aluminum follower with a wolf spring. Basic quick adjust sling at the moment with normal sling mounts but plan to change that to QD once I get the front QD adapter. Just got another barrel for it with the ghost ring front sight which I will use for a co-witness setup with the red dot.

Grand total after selling the original parts I think I have $350 in this gun which I think is really decent for what it is considering my real 590a1 cost $575 used.

Only downside is I'm stuck forever with the cross slide safety and not the tang safety. I considered machining the receiver to take the 500/590 safety but just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Not classy, but it works and was fun to put together. I love building and fixing guns almost as much as shooting them so it may be insane for some of you to think of someone turning a maverick into a 590 but hey it was fun. And it's still a Mossberg so it works lol.

PXL_20230913_210134551.MP.jpg

Last edited:
On a side note. A lesson learned from this build, if you want a pic rail for your Mossberg, look at them carefully. There are TONS on the market that are absolute garbage.

I bought 2 that had the right holes to mount to the receiver but the mounting surface was curved. The top of a 88/500/590 is a narrow flat and then curved. If you put one of the crappy pic rails on, it will literally just bend as you tighten it cause it's not sitting flush. I had to hunt down the rail I have which is machined to the exact contour of the receiver so it mates flush. The one I'm using is a UTG pro USA model. It is NOT the same as the cheaper UTG rail.

Last edited:
Just finished putting the new forend on. Replaced the crummy one piece plastic pinned forend with the steel tube, used a Hogue adapter nut, and Hogue forend.

The steel tube gives it a much better feel over the plastic. It's much less "sloppy" when working the action with the small trade off that it does make it a little bit stiffer to cycle. I'm sure this will loosen up a bit once I run it for a while.

I went with Hogue over Magpul stuff because the Hogue stuff doesn't change the ergonomics much and since I was already comfortable with the gun I saw no reason to change a good thing. Both the stock and forend are beefier and have a way more "solid" feel to them though, and my hands feel glued to the gun now with the tacky rubber.

PXL_20230924_171640849.MP.jpg

Apex, I'm not sure about your weather conditions but to me the big advantage of the Hogue forend is it's tacky feel and ability to operate in wet weather. We have lots of rain and snowy conditions and I've never had an issue with operating the action.

Excellent upgrade to an old Maverick. Looks good.

Regards

I live in the swamps of Georgia so everything is wet all the time lol. They definitely give you a more "confident" grip when things get all slimed up with sweat, salt, and basic swamp goo...

Last edited:
Switched to the 6 rounds Estac cards, and got the new A1 ghost ring barrel on. Next step is getting a decent red dot setup and figuring out a light mount.

PXL_20231007_165128317.MP.jpg

PXL_20231007_165139610.MP.jpg

And in case anyone is wondering, I couldn't find a parkerized magazine tube so I'm stuck with the blued finish. I contemplating painting it to match the barrel and receiver but there's no way the paint will hold up to the slide constantly hitting it. So I just ignore it lol.

Apex, GG&G makes a good weapons light mount that fits both the 500 and an 88. Mounts between the barrel retaining screw and the barrel lug.
I've used one for years and have no complaints.

Regards

Apex, GG&G makes a good weapons light mount that fits both the 500 and an 88. Mounts between the barrel retaining screw and the barrel lug.

Regards

That's the one I'm looking at but I'm waiting for them to get back to me to verify if it fits the 590a1 barrel. Some of those accessories don't work with the heavy wall barrel.

Regards

Holy poop you just made me realize that if I get the GG&G mount it will fix my issue with the missing detent from my other thread. The GG&G mount locks around the barrel and lug and has its own detent for the magazine cap on it so the original one becomes useless anyway! Woohoo thanks brother!

Now let's just hope they get back to me and it works for the heavy wall barrel!

Back