• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Member in Ventura, CA

Bballistick

Copper BB
Hi Everybody. I'm the proud owner of a new Mossberg 590A1, compact shotgun. When I was in the store a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at the Mossberg and the Benelli. The Mossberg just felt better. It also seemed to have a better ergonomic design. I haven't put any shells through it yet as I want to clean it thoroughly first. I can't wait, but I will. Any suggestions on what type of ammo to try at the range?? I'm really looking forward to learning more about guns, etc., on this forum.

Welcome from StL MO! Now go shoot that thing. I'd get a variety of ammo from slugs to birdshot and a bunch in-between and take some notes and pattern photos as you go. That said-what is your intended use(s) for the gun??

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 590a1!

As far as ammo goes, that baby will eat anything you feed it. Your ammo selection should depend on your needs whether simply for target practice or home defense. If you plan on using this as an HD weapon, we would suggest finding a load that meets your needs and then practice patterning that load at varying distances. Knowing how your weapon patterns with the load your're using is crucial for accuracy and safety.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your 590a1 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

Thanks for the quick welcomes. I want to use the gun predominantly for HD and target practice, skeet, traps and the like. With the way the country's going, I want to be able to protect my family if the SHTF. I'm a big believer in being prepared. I guess that comes from my old (ok, very old) boy scout days. I'm definitely looking forward to sharing more on this site and will post pics of my other toys ASAP.

Sounds good.

You should stop by our 'Ammunition' subforum and check out all the info and member reviews on various types of shells...

Ammunition

Howdy Bballistick and welcome to the club.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome from MI!!

Hi! Happy to have you on MO!!!

Couldnt agree more with the advice youve received thus far! Get lots of ammo, or just some for now! ;)

If you cant get a bunch, maybe get somethin like a bulk pack of buckshot, like the Winchester Super X 15 round box. There are plenty of other better performing loads though. If you can get several different loads, I'd do the birdshot, 6 1/2, 7's and 8's should meet any of your needs with trap skeet and target. 00 buck pretty well covers HD at closer ranges (but I cant emphasize patternin enough at whatever distances youre most likely to encounter a threat) get pics for your own records. Personally, I like to see every pellet in about a fist sized area. I set targets at a few different ranges and start shooting! I like to see if my shotgun throws or patterns to the left a little, or a little low... or whatever. Once I know, I can adjust my hold which ever way I need to compensate and fire again to put the pattern over the target where I want it. At the same time I'm getting a feel for my gun and how it patterns and handles a given load. Once I'm comfortable with a load, I stock up! :D

May as well try slugs too! Some good ones I really like that are commmercially available usually are Federal TruBall and Winchester WinLite, both in low recoil! They each have done well for me from my 590A1 20"! ;)

Check out the Ammunition section LES posted a link for! Its here on Mossberg Owners to be a reference for our members, it may give you some ideas to do some research on and point you in a couple directions!

Again, welcome to MO!!! :D

I finally took my new 590A1 out for the first time. Ventura just opened up a brand new shooting range so I was there today with a bunch of ammo and a lot of time to explore the new shotgun. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic with the way the gun performed. I was wondering at first about the recoil, but seriously, it was no problem at all. I was thinking about getting a Limbsaver slip-on pad, but I don't think I'll even need it.

I tried three kinds of shells. Estate Supersport Competition Target Load, Federal Game Load, and Remington Managed Recoil Slugger - Rifled Slugs. I liked the Supersport the best. But with all of them, the accuracy was great. The GRS is amazing too. I'm so glad I picked that one over the bead sight. I ordered the Nebo Shotgun flashlight/laser combo as I really like Nebo products. I know its not the best, but it should serve my purposes well.

Right now, there's nothing that special about my gun, but I did take a photo with my wife holding it. After I figure out how to post pics to the site, I'll do that. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, encouragement and well-wishes! Mike

Good to hear she treated you well Mike!

I'm glad you had an opportunity to try a couple different loads. It's really cool seeing the differences in ammunition and how it patterns at various distances. I love the GRS on my model 51663 and have become pretty good at putting shots exactly where I want them at 50 yds and beyond. The more you shoot that 590a1, the more you're gonna love it...

Sounds awesome, glad youre diggin the gun!

You gonna need any help gettin the pics posted?

I tried to post photos but I got an error message saying: "The image file you tried to attach is invalid". Help would be much appreciated.

Alrighty, check out this thread and see if it helps! ;)

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1224&sid=ce5335604be4753b6ca4b08c0684b16e

Its just kinda a reference or guideline for getting pics uploaded.

I most commonly use photobucket, but if i just have one or two pics, I may just do the upload from the attach file or upload file tab in the full editor.

There may also be size restrictions. I use PowerTools for microsoft windows. Its a free add on. Once its downloaded, you can right click on a photo or highlight multiple photos then right click and choose "resize". I select "small" and havent had any issues since.

Here's my new baby. Took it out shooting for the first time today. Sweet! btw, that's my wife modeling the gun, not me.

Attachments

• DSC_0774.JPG
    DSC_0774.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 123
Back