• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new member- mag question

lukc22

.22LR
Hello all...

I am from Texas and I have been reading on this site for a couple of days now... There is some very informative stuff on here... I just purchased my 715t flat top and am excited to customize it... It came with 1 25 rnd mag, so I just ordered 3 more... being shipped tomorow morning for 200... I also ordered a front grip that has flashlight and laser built in... lights are trigger activated... I am realy confused on optics though... I like the way a shorter scope looks, but longer is more functional...

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mossy. looking forward to seeing pics of your 715T.

thank you!! The thread name said mag question, but I guess I really didnt have a mag question lol... I plan on getting the ar15 mag clamp to have 2 at the ready... I saw one on youtube that looked awesome with 2 mags clamped together...

I am debating on a bipod though... I really want to keep this as light is possible and it seems that a bipod would be un-needed weight, and maybe make it bulkier... I dont plan on any long range shots, so are there any reasons to have one?? thanks

lukc22 said:
I am realy confused on optics though... I like the way a shorter scope looks, but longer is more functional...

lukc22 said:
I am debating on a bipod though... I really want to keep this as light is possible and it seems that a bipod would be un-needed weight, and maybe make it bulkier... I dont plan on any long range shots, so are there any reasons to have one?? thanks

I think you answered your own question there... go with a short, tactical scope or a red dot + magnifier for the ultimate tacticool look.

~DarthJim

That product is a magnifier :) It's basically a scope without the retical/crosshair. They're commonly used in conjunction with a red dot.
Here's one setup:
CIMG1367.jpg

And here's one with a holographic type red dot:
231396_01_ar_15_optics_640.jpg

And here's one of the exact model you are looking at... http://www.dealextreme.com/customer...2509-f81c1616-7f3b-4f89-b763-5e80c3c93c7d.jpg
Hope that kind of clears it up.

~DarthJim

Its as clear as mud lol... I am used to using my scope on my .270... So the link I posted is to a "lens" so to speak like on a camera... or a scope with no crosshairs in it... so in puchasing that, I have to put some type of red dot device behind it... it would seem easier to find both in 1 unit??

The link you posted is basically a "scope" with no cross-hairs or reticle of any kind... it's just like a little telescope that mounts to your gun; they're meant to be placed behind a red dot or hologram. In the pictures of that item, you can see it placed behind a red dot (I posted the link to the picture above) and there's also a picture of the view from the magnifier (on the product page in the customer submitted photos).

~DarthJim

Ok, I understand how they work now... Instead of purchasing 2 seperate devices for optics, are there better alternatives?? I am looking for quick target aqcuisition at around 50 yards, 100 yards max...

I would say any 4x32 or greater scope will do. I bought this one for $28.95 and this is what it looks like on my carry-handle 715:
kajywk.jpg

It comes down to personal preference though. I'm able to successfully hit a 100 yard target with 2-4" groupings consistently with this scope.

~DarthJim

There is a few things i like with a scope. I havnt messed with very many but the ones i have i found this. I like a large opening it seems to give a larger field of view. I also like one that is long enough that i dont have to move my neck into an uncomfortable position just to look threw it clear. I have long arms so i hold it a little different then most.

The shorter scopes look better on a tactical rifle but the other features i like better.

Walmart has a few but i think the cheaper ones only have the dovetail mounts for .22 i got one for $40. that has the weaver mounts and it isnt bad for $40. it works fine on my .22 GSG 522 makes it look mean.

I dont care for how the handle version looks with a scope on it so im not going to put one on mine. If i get one without a handle it will get a scope for sure.

If you really want to keep it light as possible then ditch the laser, flashlight, foregrip, bipod and optics. Use iron sights as their weight is not noticeable. Now, if weight really isn't a concern, you can start adding items. How do you shoot - always standing? No need for a bipod. Do you only shoot outdoors during the day? No need for a flashlight. Do you only shoot fixed targets (steel, paper, etc.) on a range and don't move about as in tactical shooting? No need for a laser. Do you just want the most badass tactical looking rifle out there (who doesn't)? Then load her up. Understand what your needs are first and let them drive your wants. After that, dress her up however you please. And always post pics cuz we're just that way. Welcome to the forum!

good answers guys!! thank you for all the input!! i am going for tactical functionality in close quarters and always bad-ass looks lol... i like the flashlight and laser for in home protection at night or night hunting i. general... they look cool to me too... so many choices...

Back