• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Not really a firearm

At about 40 yards i was shooting groups of 3 that were all touching, with Wolf Gold 55 grain. Moved out to 100 yards shot another group of 3 within 1 inch that was 7 inches high, made my adjustment and shot a group of 5 that was all,over the place. So,brought it back in and did a good cleaning on the bore. About an hour later went back out, shot another group of 5 with about a 3 inch spread. Tried another group of 5 with similar results, switched to 64 grain hornady TAP. That,brought the groups back down to about 1.5 inches. But it was more like a tight group of 3 with two others off to the side. So I brought it back in again, checked scope mounts and rings, pulled the handguard off and re torqued the barrel nut. Didn't get back out to shoot after that.

With that barrel you'll likely see better results on target with ammo in the 62-79 grain range.

I wouldn't worry too much about the flyers being the result of anything mechanical at this point. My flyers are always my fault. Try to rule out human error first. Focus on pressing the trigger slow and smooth and you should bring those flyers back in. Keep us posted on your progress...

Yeah thats what I figured, but being my first assembly, I'm paranoid that I didn't get something right. I'm the same with engines, transmissions, and hydraulic pumps at work. But man that very first group, putting three rounds right on top of each other, right off of the workbench, was a pretty awesome feeling.

Oh Lord no. I've got a full time job that keeps me busy. I just get fidgety sometimes, and happen to have lots of leftover stuff available. So I try stuff. Like they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Back