• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Timer - Shockwave NOOB

Greetings, Mossberg fans... allow me to introduce myself - I am a Citizen Patriot, retired law enforcement, former USAF K9 handler (explosives detection), and firearms enthusiast. I've developed a habit of gifting my wife and sons with unique firearms over the years, mostly customized by yours truly. Some time ago, I developed a fondness (a weakness) for the Marlin Model 60 Deluxe edition .22LR rifles and have customized a few. My latest Marlin creation is attached for your amusement.

After gifting my youngest son with my Mossberg 12 GA pump for home defense I began to have a craving to replace the old pump with something a bit more modern and set my sights on the 590 Shockwave in .410 GA after it was introduced. The circumstances were never "right" to obtain one, though - they were either out of stock or my wallet was too thin. After a recent windfall of $$ courtesy of the VA, my wish was granted. I got the notice from Bud's Gun Shop that they had it back in stock so I jumped on it like a chicken on a June bug. I should pick it up tomorrow from my chosen FFL.... woot woot !

Will be lurking a while to get the hang of this forum, and I look forward to soaking up some ShockWave knowledge in the process.

CP

Attachments

• IMG-5600.jpg
    IMG-5600.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 4
CP, first and foremost thank you for your service and you will find a number of veterans here.

Marlin & Mossberg, hard to go wrong. While this "the" Mossberg Forum all brands are typically discussed here and there are several members with decades of weapons and gunsmithing knowledge. There is also an excellent Shockwave thread which has been going since the Shockwave was first introduced. But don't worry about asking questions.

Think several of us would be interested in seeing how you've customized your Marlin model 60s. Great gun.

Regards

As others have said, we like ALL guns here, and the knowledge base is deep, so don't be afraid to post or ask about anything, really. :)

Nice 60! I had two but sold for various reasons. One was a basic blued, dark wood stock, a little beat up but a good shooter. I think I paid $60 for that 60 and more than doubled my money selling for $125. One I traded a welder for ending up with $200 in my pocket. THAT gun was very pretty with the bright polished stainless and light wood stocks. A real tack-driver it was. Traded for a target 10/22 w/chassis stock, bull barrel and a bunch of extra 10/22 parts I built a couple guns out of. I wish I had kept it but I wasn't a fan of the tube magazine...

Welcome Aboard from the Daytona area! :)

Ernst - "Think several of us would be interested in seeing how you've customized your Marlin model 60s. "

I first bought an M60 "Deluxe" model when Marlin came out with their 50th Anniversary edition with the gold lettering and fine walnut checkered stock and it just kinda snowballed from there. After hours of sanding, I finish my Boyd's hardwood laminate stocks with my hand-rubbed magic elixir of Tru-Oil and perhaps a custom spacer just for looks. If something needs a fresh coat of bluing, I use the "cold blue" method. My most powerful tool is a Dremel - everything else is done by hand. The second photo below is an antique Savage lever gun I restored for a Trooper after his safe flooded - two weeks later he took a 6-point buck in northern Michigan with that gun... he cried when he saw it, thinking it was trashed... it was his grandfather's old deer rifle. I also made a special M60 Deluxe for my brother and gave it to him as a retirement gift, another for my youngest son, and yet another for my bride. I use DIP triggers and J&P springs on the innards, polished to a buttery smooth release. The last photo is an M60 I did just for myself - the serial number indicates it was a 1970 issue. Just for kicks, I gave it the "bumble bee" treatment - it's a head-turner, for sure, and accurate as heck!

I've also written three books (available on Amazon), one of which garnered me a nice "thank you" letter after I gave a copy to POTUS. My first book told the true story of my adoption and finding my biological parents. Some of y'all might be old enough to remember a young musician from Lubbock named Buddy Holly - turns out, he was best friends with my First Father and went on to fame as one of Nashville's most successful music producers. Sadly, he passed away about eight months before we discovered his identity, but his surviving family has been most gracious to me and accepted my circumstances. It's a crazy story, and it spawned a desire to tell more true stories from my crazy life.

Now you know a bit more about me and some of my passions. Comments are welcomed - have a great weekend, y'all!

Attachments

• Buddy_Bob_1.jpg
    Buddy_Bob_1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Amazon_Preview_Cover.jpg
    Amazon_Preview_Cover.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 6
  • POTUS_Letter.jpg
    POTUS_Letter.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5600.jpg
    IMG-5600.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 4
  • _MG_5765_1.JPG
    _MG_5765_1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
  • _MG_0545.JPG
    _MG_0545.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum Sir from upstate NY and thanks for your service. Great story and very nice work. I can’t wait to see what you do with the Shockwave. Keep us posted!

CP, we veterans, and many other military family members, try to celebrate all the military related rememberence days. If you have a chance take a look at the forum index under "Forum Rules, Guidelines and Annoucements." There are a number of threads from over the years and many pictures especially from the Vietnam era. Posts and pictures are always welcome.

Our Nation's most scared rememberence day is coming up soon on May 29th.

Again, welcome brother and bless you and your famiy!!

Regards

CP, we veterans, and many other military family members, try to celebrate all the military related rememberence days. If you have a chance take a look at the forum index under "Forum Rules, Guidelines and Annoucements." There are a number of threads from over the years and many pictures especially from the Vietnam era. Posts and pictures are always welcome.

Our Nation's most scared rememberence day is coming up soon on May 29th.

Again, welcome brother and bless you and your famiy!!

Regards
Thanks again, Ernst. I married my USAF bride almost 41 years ago, and she bore me two wonderful sons, which eventually brought us four beautiful grandkids! My eyes have been known to leak a bit when I see elderly vets on the news or social media...

Among my other creative pursuits, I am also a pro digital photographer and photo restoration guy... I was adopted and had a wonderful childhood with many vets in the background. My paternal g'father fought in France in WW I, and my late dad was the last surviving member of his unit from WW II before he passed in 2012 at the age of ninety. Like so many of his generation, he was a humble man that rarely spoke of his service until late in life.

We lived in a small town just north of Detroit for 28 years which had an annual Memorial Day service that I photographed for many years, and I was also an official event photographer at the Dayton Air Show for several years... got a bunch of cool shots in the archives. Here's a sampling with a little "eye candy" tossed in for good measure :

Attachments

• MemDay04.jpg
    MemDay04.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Honor_Flight.JPG
    Honor_Flight.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Framed.jpg
    Framed.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 4
  • King_George_Flat copy.jpg
    King_George_Flat copy.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Lest We Forget.jpg
    Lest We Forget.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Selfridge_Warthog.jpg
    Selfridge_Warthog.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Ice_Princess copy.jpg
    Ice_Princess copy.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 4
Congrats and enjoy in good health.

View attachment 29261

Weird! I just got this alert about the quoted post:
1683773336066.png

Unfortunately, I don't know which mod sent it. And the "Contact Us" link in the footer does not work on this forum. So no way to bring this up off-forum.

But... ummm.... I didn't mention any problem with a vendor. Rather, I was HIGHLY recommending them by saying their products are so GOOD that they will be irresistible and addictive. If you look at my photo, it features a lot of their products! LOL! Defender Tactical products rock! To be clear.... "rock" is GOOD. :cool: I'm a BIG fan!

In fact, I've sung the praises of DT on multiple threads here. Also... "sung the praises" means GOOD. Really good. :)

PS... I found a "contact us" link that works. Sent admins a message.

Last edited:
Weird! I just got this alert about the quoted post:
I saw the message they were referring to before it was removed. While I determined you were being facetious, a cursory glance (say by an admin) may have interpreted it as being complainatory, hence the note.

I saw the message they were referring to before it was removed. While I determined you were being facetious, a cursory glance (say by an admin) may have interpreted it as being complainatory, hence the note.
I thought it was QUITE obvious, especially in light of the photo of my Shockwave which is a virtual billboard for Defender Tactical. LOL! If they make it for the Shockwave, chances are, I bought it! And like it!

But, OK... whatever. :cool:

@Racer88 @Jmm14534 @old mossy Not AI gents...no overlords here either. A few of us saw the post and it was decided to edit. I consider myself and the other mods here to be more than fair and pretty easy going. Glad it was not as we assumed it was and glad you like Defender Tactical.

@Bobster hit it right on the nose. Even rhetorical sarcasm when directed at another member or a vendor will always be looked at carefully by any of the mods or admins...we don't always intervene and we rarely act independently. We intend to keep this forum the friendly, respectful and relaxed place the members have come to expect. We would rather be safe than sorry.

No harm, no foul. Keep on keepin' on guys.

@Racer88 @Jmm14534 @old mossy Not AI gents...no overlords here either. A few of us saw the post and it was decided to edit. I consider myself and the other mods here to be more than fair and pretty easy going. Glad it was not as we assumed it was and glad you like Defender Tactical.

@Bobster hit it right on the nose. Even rhetorical sarcasm when directed at another member or a vendor will always be looked at carefully by any of the mods or admins...we don't always intervene and we rarely act independently. We intend to keep this forum the friendly, respectful and relaxed place the members have come to expect. We would rather be safe than sorry.

No harm, no foul. Keep on keepin' on guys.
Roger that. No biggie. Yeah... I'm a big fan of DT! They make some great stuff at a VERY good value proposition. I believe their "Rear Grip Enhancement Kit" is a MUST have for the Shockwave. It takes you from "I gotta make sure I've got a grip on this thing," to.... "I've got this totally under control."

Back