• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Optics/Sight options for my new 500

MrFrantastic

Copper BB
Picked up my first shotgun, 500 pump with 28" barrel.... mostly using it for target & trap shooting now.... looking to get into hunting soon, probably turkey and deer. Just picked up a TruGlo dual color fiber optic sight. Was hoping to see if anyone has used this & if its good for trap, and eventually turkey hunting. Any other better options? Thanks!!pDSP1-9945258p275w.jpg

Last edited:
My daughter and I have used this very set up and my 835 has something nearly identical from the factory.

I use my 835 for hunting, (I'm not especially sucessful though that's more an issue of getting the game in front of me). I have used it to dispatch critters on the run. My daughter used that set up on birds and targets. It works, it's adjustable to some degree and should be fine for you.

I don't do any sport shooting like skeet or trap but I've heard said that the plain bead is faster.

I prefer just a bead for any type of wing shooting/clays. Anything more complicated is just that..complicated.

I have used a snap on Truglow sight similar to the one in the bottom rt of the pic for turkey with good success. I also really like the Williams Fire Sights, thay are sturdier and have more adjustment for fine tuning.

I have also like tbe Truglo reflex and red dot sights for turkey.

If you are going to use it for trap shooting, get the rear sight that looks like a rifle sight, not the one with the circle. The one with the circle is easier to find the sight on a flat range, shooting at game. But it can be very distracting on shots at clays or birds.

I ran the rifle style sights on my 930 until I put on optic on it.

I'm with the bead guys for any shooting sports. My 28" barrel actually had a red fiber optic on it, and I swapped it for the plain brass bead on the 18.5" barrel. For me personally, I shoot both eyes open and clay shooting of any kind is instinct shooting, bright sights just draw my eye to them rather than the pigeon and distract me.

Back