• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol grip only shotgun

sdemint78

Copper BB
How many use a pistol grip only shotgun for home defense. I keep going back and forth with a standard stock and a pistol grip.The only comments I can find on the internet are from years ago and everybody bashes the pistol grip. Would like to get some opinions.

I personally went with the collapsable stock with mine because I really like having a stock and when you collapse it down the gun is still very maneuverable while in the house. I do see advantages of having a pistol grip only though. The video I posted below would be the option I would go with if I couldn't decide between having a stock or not.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9BCm5Jxl6A[/youtube]

The pistol grip has it's place. breaching, home defense, and an armed thugs favorite scary weapon.

A full length stock only gets in the way if you have a full length barrel. In my personal opinion, the best option is by far the over the top folding stock. It gives you the option to have the quick pull, and speed needed to bring your weapon on target, just remember to practice so you don't develop an over pull and zoom past your target. The folding stock gives you the ability to easily make the transition from assault to defense.

I did not have a problem with either set up. But my wife will not shoot it with the pistol grip. So I might buy a Blackhawk Compstock to reduce recoil. Does anybody have any experience with this type stock?

I can not say I have any experience with the stock on a shot gun, but I used one on me .300 WSM, reduced recoil by around 30%

sdemint78 said:
I did not have a problem with either set up. But my wife will not shoot it with the pistol grip. So I might buy a Blackhawk Compstock to reduce recoil. Does anybody have any experience with this type stock?
I have heard nothing but good things about the blackhawk compstock for the mossberg 500. It is actually one of the items on my to do list of modifications for my mossberg 500.

Ultimate CC said:
sdemint78 said:
I have heard nothing but good things about the blackhawk compstock for the mossberg 500. It is actually one of the items on my to do list of modifications for my mossberg 500.
With a pistol grip SG the ammo makes all the difference in recoil and compfort. Remington makes a LE Reduced Recoil load that is amazing! Its only 1000fps, the OOBuck load is the same but it shoots smooth as butter, you could shoot it all day long in a pistol grip SG. Check it out-$23/box of 50

Personally, unless I was ballistic breaching I would not run a pistol grip only stock. In a defensive or duty shoot, I want to aim. That means looking down the barrel, and through/over the sights to the target. Some people are comfortable firing from the hip, tucked into the chest/ribs, or holding the shotgun forward in both hands and sighting as if it were a pistol. That's fine for them. I want something that is more stable, more consistent, and more precise.
With a conventional stock and standard defensive barrel of 18-20" you're not taking up any more room than what you would occupy with a pistol. You can short stock the shotgun if you need to. There's also the Chuck Taylor method to close your space up.
Folders are nice if you have to work out of a vehicle, or you just have to have a way to stow a shotgun in a very confined space. The problem with folders is that they will frequently not offer a good cheek weld, the locking mechanism can be problematic or wobbly, and they can beat the crap out of you.
The adjustable LOP stocks are good, so long as you can still get a good cheek weld and sight picture with them. The problem is, on Mossbergs you now have a safety manipulation issue and possibly a problem operating the slide release depending on the stock.

I really don't see the point of a pistol grip only shotgun with a barrel longer than about 12". You aren't really losing any maneuverability by having a conventional stock on the gun. If you need to shorten how far it sticks out you can tuck it under your arm. What you gain is a more stable platform from which to fire which is one of the advantages a longarm has over a handgun. Also, as has been mentioned, a PGO or pistol gripped stock makes safety and sometimes slide release manipulation difficult to do on a Mossberg.

On top folding stocks: the only reason I can see to have a folding stock is for storage. There was a guy standing next to me in a class with a top folder. I begged him to borrow my 500 with regular stock halfway through the day. His cheek was swollen and cut up after a box of birdshot and a couple boxes of buck and slugs and we still had the afternoon to go.

I would offer my insight on this subject. I have used a pistol grip and a full stock on entry's and other real world applications, under stress and in low light conditions. I have found that the pistol grip is very much "less accurate" and much more difficult to make follow up shots with. It is difficult at best on follow up shots. Once under stress I pulled the PG up a little close to my chin in order to make a aimed shot and put myself nearly out of the fight after bashing my chin under recoil.(wasn't pretty) I have practiced with both and on the range its not as difficult on a range to make fairly accurate shots- to be sure.
I was not under civilian jurisdiction at the time, but have discussed it with law enforcement as to their opinions (brother is an leo Sgt). If one is forced to defend himself in the home, even with castle doctrine being adopted in a lot of places these days, appearance is a factor.
In my opinion a PG is less accurate, less stable and more likely to look negative on the owner/shooter. The libs and media will portray the PG shotty as "more evil". These things combined have made MY decision to use a full stock for home defense (well actually a reduced length youth stock).

I do not have experience with folders, so Icant comment. However on collapsible I can. IF you use a mossberg for the reasons I do (safety location and action release location, a collapsible will effetely negate those functions. you cannot use the safety and the action release from the aimed shoulder position.
A maverick 88 will allow shouldered safety use due to its safety location.

I am by no means an expert, acsess to the action release was mandatory (action release for slug selection drills etc) and the safety is an obvious. I have trained to fight with a shotgun and in all my training (military and civilian) we were trained to have the weapon in a shouldered AIMED position and the need to access the safety and action bvious need.

hunter72 said:
I have trained to fight with a shotgun and in all my training (military and civilian) we were trained to have the weapon in a shouldered AIMED position and the need to access the safety and action bvious need.

I would assume that you also trained using the low ready position when in stack or when negotiating tight spaces such as the interiors of homes or buildings.

Coming around a corner or through a doorway with your shotgun or carbine shouldered and aimed exposes you to the loss of your weapon. Most retention training will bring the weapon in close to the body while giving the operator the ability to quickly acquire a target and fire if necessary.

Low Ready Position (for reference)
TS_LowReady.jpg

I appriciate your reference of the low ready, low ready is not an ENGAGEMENT position nor is it a position you would do a slug select dril9possibly with the tilt of the action),(THE PART YOU DID NOT AD WHEN YOU CUT MY QUOTE) reload from while engaged, or imediatly engage your safety when the threat is either idetified as a non threat(lower and safety at same time maybe) or the engagement has concluded( you cannot remain on target and do any of these things wit ha PG grip). Nor was I discussing a retention situation.
Having actually done these things and not just trained to do them it is MY OPINION that my statements concerning a pistol grip vs a full stock are indeed valid,
and your picture of the low ready is that of a fully stocked weapon, not a pistol grip. I am not sure what that has to do with a PG vs stock discussion.
Unless you are stateing the the low ready with a pistol grip allows the engagement of both the safety and the action release on a mossberg type platform without moving your hand to a non shooting position?.

During the above you would not lower your weapon and take your sights off the target(unless maybe seeking cover in some circumstances)
PS im just a grunt so forgive the spelling and grammer.

At first, I had about decided not to use the PGO. Reason being, it was beating the heck out of my hand when I was doing a lot of practicing. I figured I wanted the weapon to be in the same configuration when practicing as when put to emergency use.

As you may know, the original equipment Mossberg pistol grip is quite rigid. I decided to try an ATI recoil reducing pistol grip. Basically, it's just a much softer pistol grip. I'm very comfortable with it now and actually enjoy PGO target practice. Still can't get the wife to use it, but that's OK, she has her own 20 gauge. :) I also have a CompStock (looks very much like a regular stock) mounted on her weapon. The recoil on that rig is nearly nil now. And it has to be, my wife is very recoil sensitive (I have discovered).

I like the pistol grip for it's compactness. My house is small and I can't see myself getting into a situation where I'd have the room and/or time to truly shoulder the weapon. Probably really ought to use a handgun as my primary home defense, but I'm just more comfortable with a shotgun. Just an opinion. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I think the big argument against pgo is that for the same amount of training the user will get more hits with the 4 point (2 hands, shoulder, cheekweld) support of a standard shotgun than the 2 point support of the pgo. If your gun is dedicated for in the house only and you practice with it for quick, closeup shots and you have found a grip that is comfortable, you can probably work around this and get quite proficient--more bang and better control than many mouse gun or 38 snubnose that graces so many night stands.

My shotgun is also dedicated to in-house use only. However, I want the flexibility to step out on the porch where I might have a longer shot or to take it camping with me. For these contingencies I want a standard stock. I am looking for a slightly shorter one, 12 or 13 inches to make it a little handier. There are techniques, such as holding the butt of the shotgun under the armpit to aid in tight locations and weapon retention. This , too, needs some practice.

Someday I will probably pick up a pgo to try it out, but as a supplement to my standard stock.

I installed a Knoxx pistol grip (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/BreachersGrip-Shotgun-Stock,1154,165.htm) on our Chainsaw before we fired it the first time, so I can't compare it to the stock Mossberg pistol grip, but I can testify to not having any pain after firing 30 rounds of low-recoil 00 yesterday (and I'm a weak old fart).

Wrist angle seems important. I keep a straight, level line between my elbow (tight against my side) and the muzzle so the gun and my lower arm work together like a steam locomotive connecting rod.

Back