• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

portable target stands

Well I just signed up with the local shooting club and I guessit was good I had a project that kept me from puttng some stands together just yet.

They have gates set up at the berms of the ranges to accept standard strapping to mount cardboard/paper targets on, and they also have stands where there are not gates. They also do not allow metal gongs on the range, so that plan is out. They do however allow spinners after a quick check of the range rules, I will investigae further tonight.

But they do allow for draw from concealment and you are allowed to move as you shoot, so I can make up some simple scenerios for me and the GF to build some muscle memory. I made sure to ask those questions before joining.

Another thing they have is a silhouette range which I plan to look into, but I will need to get some of my own to shoot.

well, this ain't going to read it's self... I'm, off.

I have to pour myself over the rules tonight so I know exactly what is allowed and what isn't, so I will adjust my plans depending on what I find tonight.

excellent...good to hear...keep us updated...

i'm looking forward to hearing more.

PVC setup I used recently. Base is similar to the ones above.

242556_10150188675021330_515646329_7447729_3893922_o.jpg

au01st said:
PVC setup I used recently. Base is similar to the ones above.

242556_10150188675021330_515646329_7447729_3893922_o.jpg

What did you make the body out of? is that white corrugated plastic?
^^^^could you use a spring clamp to hold them on the base? you could either screw it onto the base or use tie wire...they make 'em in plastic as well as metal, i was thinking plastic to keep the ricochet from happening.

Mudinyeri said:
A couple tips on the PVC stands:
1. I don't cement them together. It makes them easy to break down for transport and easy to replace parts (see #2).
2. Carry some spare PVC parts with you to the range. I've had a couple people shoot holes in the PVC.
3. I toss and old tire or sand bag on them if it's windy. With a 24X36 cardboard backer stapled to them, they like to flop over.

Does the PVC stay connected well? or do you have to put a screw into the connections?

I have some free time this week, so I'll hopefully be getting started on these targets. i have a plan in my head, just need to implement it .

The fit of the PVC pipe to the joints is pretty tight. I haven't had mine fall apart yet and I've been using them for at least a year now.

Well I wasn't thinking zip ties. Then you need to cut em after every outing and whenever you change out targets. If tie wire was used then you just need to untie it. See the reusable factor i'm getting at? Less money spent on target materials, More money spent on shells. ;)

oh I got another idea. VELCRO!!!!

Sweet. Now I need to go get parts. I have Velcro. A bunch of it too!

Ugh, I'm falling behind in my target stand building quest. Y'all are comin up with some good ideas though!

for shooting steel these have served me well the last couple of years

get some 6 or 7 inch chunks of 2x4 square tube, drill some holes , weld some nuts over the holes, get some bolts and weld square or flat bar to the top of the bolts and weld the square tube together like so.
IMG_0281.jpg

then you can cut your 2x4 wood to any size you want your stand. you can make these for all the corners of your stand and be fully adjustable

these are just rebar heated, bent and welded, take to recycle when worn out
IMG_0283.jpg

As far as holding clays I use ReVersa Target backers. http://reversatarget.com/ They have cardboard tabs that you fold out and the clays fit into or you can use them as standard cardboard backers. They have a couple target patterns printed on them as well if you don't wanna deal with stapling/taping paper on to them.

ReVersa-Target-017.JPG

ReVersa%20Target%20072.JPG

Back