• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Proud new owner

Here’s my newest “firearm”.
After shooting it and verifying that mine indeed shot high I set out to complete Project Gimley.

I used a rail for the 930 from Elite Tactical Advantage, front sight is an HK style from Samson and rear sight is a left over Rock River Dominator sight.

Attachments

• 9E9EAD5F-33A1-4613-A3A5-1CDD0E9D8330.jpeg
    9E9EAD5F-33A1-4613-A3A5-1CDD0E9D8330.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2D3B89A5-A9EF-4807-A73D-70C40B09E39A.jpeg
    2D3B89A5-A9EF-4807-A73D-70C40B09E39A.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 82D3009E-36D6-4243-B66C-A035A161773C.jpeg
    82D3009E-36D6-4243-B66C-A035A161773C.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1698AB35-DD8C-46FE-B35E-FF2CE797BDB5.jpeg
    1698AB35-DD8C-46FE-B35E-FF2CE797BDB5.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 368B9051-9044-4890-8431-32B3363D290B.jpeg
    368B9051-9044-4890-8431-32B3363D290B.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 30
The install required a little finagling. I had to move the rail forward one space and was only able to use 2 of the 4 screws. I also experimented with a Knoxx BreachersGrip Gen III but I didn’t like the ergonomics enough over the Raptor Grip. I can report though the BreachersGrip on the Shockwave is right around 27” OAL.

Sorry, I just saw your post.

I appreciate the work that you put into it. I'm sure that those sights would lower the group considerably.

what screws did you have issues with? I have been looking at that rail for weeks, and was wondering how it would look.

It Looks Good!

I just wish some one would make one that goes to the end of the barrel.

Would the old "war hammer" work on a shockwave?

I was looking at one, the old war hammer with the front end bracket from the war hammer for the shockwave, and maybe a hack saw to trim the front. or modify the bracket for the old war hammer, (hacksaw)

I spent all my fun money this month on 2 khukuri's, heat shield and 1 stripper (red head). So next month I might pick up a warhamer and try.

the low profile look of Chuck's heatshield rail is just so right. It blends with the shotgun, all they need to do is make this one 2 inches longer
and have the bracket on the front side of the barrel lug, tightened down by the tube cap.

Chuck took one for the team and it was a good one, this looks so much better then Warhammer for the Shockwave.

what screws did you have issues with? I have been looking at that rail for weeks, and was wondering how it would look.

It Looks Good!

I just wish some one would make one that goes to the end of the barrel.

Ravan,

I used the screws that came with the rail. The rail comes with 4 screws and matches the holes already drilled in the receiver. I moved the rail forward and only used 2 screws because the front of the rail stopped too far back for the front locking plate to engage on the rail. I will make a diagram below.
Receiver and Rail hole pattern green being where I placed the screws.
Rear: o o o o Front
Rear: o o o o Front

I'm currently fiddling with some ideas to make a locking ring or spacer of sorts. The locking ring will clamp on the magazine tube or be free floating. I'm placing the ring in the space between the barrel lug and forend. The goal here is to create a counter pressure point that will keep the locking plate from moving just as if it was held between the tube cap and barrel lug.

You mentioned above that you wanted the rail about 2" longer and at first I also did. After looking at the design of the rail and 590 I prefer the plate behind the barrel lug because there is no detent on the locking plate to keep the tube cap from working loose and backing off under recoil. Although if the rail was made long enough to interface with the tube cap I'd imagine that a wave washer would work fine to keep the cap from working loose.

-Chuck

John,

I looked at he Aimtech Warhammer and apparently they make one for the Shockwave but its even higher of a rail height and with the sights I was putting on it I wanted it as low profile as possible. I'm hoping that in the near future Mossberg will release a hardwood pattern like Remington did but with the addition of either a dovetail front sight or Vang Comp ghost rings as I prefer the 500 action over an 870, especially with big Green's quality as of late.

-Chuck

I do understand. I see a lot of posts at rem870.com that mention problems with newer made guns. Especially ones with MIM parts.

It would be nice to have wood furniture though. I mean, really nice wood furniture.

Not this soft birch crap that a lot of companies use that dent and ding if you look at it wrong. I'm talking good stuff like oak, walnut, maybe even some maple or hickory.

Even if they had a more expensive "elite" model that had a bigger sticker price to give you the choice to get the "better" model if that's how you wanted to move forward.

Mossberg has been paying attention to what people are asking for. That's good for everyone.

And in all fairness, Remington is kinda just copying what Mossberg has brought to market where the shockwave and the tac14 is concerned. Mossberg had it on the market first.

I know exactly what your getting at with Remington being a "Hey look at me too". I'm also optimistic with Mossberg paying attention to customers desires and look forward to see this years innovations.

I took Gimley out for a 30 shell shakedown today and with the sight/rail combination I’m currently hitting about an unscientific 1.5” low at 20yds with slugs and buckshot. Given the fact it was a balmy 26 degrees out with steady cross winds and I was in a field I’m going to adjust the sights on my next trip afield.

I know a lot of people have been using Talon Grips and I do like the idea. Although while fiddling in the basement tonight I had a Eureka moment. During my cleaning I found an old cut up bicycle inner tube and noticed the diameter appeared too perfect not to try. So here’s the results.

Attachments

• A06B652D-E334-4278-880E-A847645F6A63.jpeg
    A06B652D-E334-4278-880E-A847645F6A63.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 6
  • D5396E15-7CD4-472A-8C30-8CA9E6EDBCEE.jpeg
    D5396E15-7CD4-472A-8C30-8CA9E6EDBCEE.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a piece of an old inner tube on my Walther P22 grip.

It works.

Sure can't.

I actually had the idea from the old Hogue universal pistol grip things they used to sell (they still may make them but I don't recall seeing any in a while).

Howdy Chuck, welcome to the club, nice shockwave....

And your Mandalorian crest avatar rocks....

Back