• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about 25rd mag

What's up ya'll,

I have just recently become a proud owner of 2 Mossberg firearms. One being the 12ga 500 Combo, and the other of course being the Brushed Chrome 702 Plinkster. With the 702 I picked up two 25rd mags made by Mossberg specifically for the 702. After removing the mags from the packaging and loading them into my rifle I noticed they both fit fairly loose. My question is if this is normal. I have never owned a firearm before these two purchases, so I'm not familiar with them yet whatsoever. I havnt even had the chance to go plinking yet as in my county in Ontario we are not allowed to discharge our firearms on Crown Land until after Sept 30.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to finally be an owner of a few fine Mossbergs!

Cheers,
Kev

There is a little wiggle on them, yes, but that's fine. If you have snap caps or a safe place to play you can make sure it loads a round even when you hold it in a loose spot to test.

Welcome to the forum! I've shot a 702 quite a lot in the last year. I think you'll enjoy it once you get out in the field. I don't have any 25 round mags - just a fistful of 10s that suit my purposes. The fit that you describe does mimick what others have reported. The biggest complaint that I hear is the ability to load them to capacity easily. A bit of break in and closer examination of the inner construction usually helps folks work that out. Have you loaded and unloaded them as a test yet!?

Phew, good to know its common for them to be a bit loose fitting.

I spent 5 hours last night f****g with them trying to get em to load to capacity. One took a bit of breaking in but ended uploading jo problem, but the other was a nightmare. The spring kept jamming to the point my bullets were getting stuck, I ended up taking it apart and re setting the springs, what a bitch that was, hut after taking it apart and putting it hack together it seemed to load no problem.

Fingers crossed I'm out of the woods on this issue, it was frustratin as hell.

Another quick question I have is when I was loading it, because the springs were so snug, I noticed on some, not all but some of my casings have small indents on them from having to use so much pressure to get them in. Is this okay? Will they still fire okay
Thanks for the insight fellas, can't wait to get out and fire these sons o bitches.

Cheers
Kev

I use the little load assist plastic thingy that came with the mags so generally deformation is minimal. I imagine trying to force them in metal on metal would be too tough, and in any case it is unpleasant.

When squeezed into the chamber everything will probably play out fine, but I would consider a dent that significantly raises the sides into sharp angles (like bending a straw) to be unnecessary to chance on account of the weakness that might create. But, the general rule of some folks with small rounds like the .22 is that if it chambers, go for it. I haven't had issues yet with that advice, but then I am no expert.

Back