• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Random Stream of Consciousness

Uhh yeah, the videos... There were supposed to have been more as of last night!

We finally made arrangements for the larger property we were gonna get the new patterns with the VCS barrel, practice for competition and reloading drills, Allison and I were going to walk the course side by side taking out clays and other targets, and maybe some shooting from prone as well as highlighting some of the new gear I've picked up...

We're rescheduling for next weekend though and we'll have help with the video too!

Oh yeah, Allison has a boyfriend. He'll be our third person helping. I'm going to lay out a few rounds for him to choose from, ask him which he prefers, then after his selection, tell him I'm putting that one up for safe keeping that I hope he never gives me reason to take it down! :lol:

:lol: awesome, just take out a sharpie and write his name on and tell him your going to save it for later...

:lol: I don't know if I'd feel comfortable going out into the middle of the woods with some of my girlfriends fathers back in the day. Gotta give the boy props there!

oli700 said:
:lol: awesome, just take out a sharpie and write his name on and tell him your going to save it for later...

EXACTLY!!! :lol:

Sn3aKyGuY said:
:lol: I don't know if I'd feel comfortable going out into the middle of the woods with some of my girlfriends fathers back in the day. Gotta give the boy props there!

Hes actually a pretty decent kid, and hes already scared of me! :D He really like Allison and is really kinda sweet... sappy almost! Not altogether foolin me though! I'll keep him close and make sure he knows I wont mess around...

"I'll take pleasure in guttin you... boy." :lol:

That's hilarious!

An ex GF's dad in high school knew I was coming over to meet him before taking his daughter out. In preparation, he disassembled his side-by-side 12ga on the livingroom table. As we held our introductory interrogation, err conversation, he slowly cleaned, oiled, and pieced the shotgun back together. He finished up by asking what time I planned on having her home as he snapped the breach closed on the fully reassembled gun.

My reply?

...30 minutes before her curfew Sir, if you'd be so kind as to let me know when that is...

He ended up being a great guy and after about a year we were out on his farm shoot'n watermelons with that 12ga. Good times...

:lol: I routinely have guns out on the table and Allison had asked me if I would keep everything put away while he was here!

Wait until the BF finds out that Alison is as good a shot as her Dad... :D

SHOOTER13 said:
Wait until the BF finds out that Alison is as good a shot as her Dad... :D

He's due to find out next weekend! ;) I gaurantee he cant shoot as well as she does!

My daughter was surprised how cool I was when she first started dating... :cool:

I told her this...we raised you right, and you have proven to us you can make decisions based on good judgement. When you bring a young gentlemen in our house we expect that judgement was used or else he wouldn't have been invited.

When a young man comes to our door to pick up my daughter ( a prerequisite...no jumping into a car and driving away )...I answer the door, invite him in, look him in the eye, and shake his hand. On how well he acts in that first few minutes is how fast I size him up...little does he know we already have his cell phone number, his license plate and car description, probably where he lives and works, and know where they are going for the evening.

On the way out the door, he is told that I expect her home at a certain time, and he is watched to see if he opens the car door for her and if he drives carefully down the street. He only has one chance to get it right...if he screws that up he's toast. Period. (The grave is already dug... ;) )

Keep holes in the ground do ya!? :lol:

I know what youre sayin! I watched this kid to see if he held the door for her and what not, and the first time they went out, I insisted we meet with his parents and they all know we're involved. They arent old enough to drive, so no worries there. They dont go anywhere on their own, but Allison is beginning to push the boundaries... That girl is gonna be the death of me.

Her friend is "dating" her "boyfriend's" friend. Theyre all friends really. Well they want her to walk home with them after school, hang out around town, and maybe go to a movie. I remind you theyre all 12 years old, not 15 and 16.

I'm having a hard time with this. I tolod her its when small town kids get together with no goal in mind they start doin dumb stuff and getting into trouble. They also want to go see a movie unsupervised! Jenny and I said no! She told her her friends that we're lame! I told her that her lame dad doesnt have to take her shooting... may have struck a nerve and I need to be careful what I say. I'd rather still have her close and be able to talk to her.

Shes stilla good kid. She's been taking care of me today for the most part...

I dunno...

Yea it's tricky. You gotta set boundaries, but you gotta let them be there own people at the same time. Just glad I don't have a daughter.

LOL!!! Seriously though guys, If you ever actually want your women or significant other to shoot with you, give them more instruction than this guy did. Not "pull the trigger".

Maybe you dodnt want them to shoot with you... I dunno.

Funny video Sneaky! Even just the way the girl was whining was funny! :lol:

Ugh... I'm confused and irritated, almost angry.

I find my self competing with a 12 year old boy for my daughters attention.

Allison kinda looks out for me, she checks on me and makes sure I'm ok. Some here may know I've had some health problems here and there and i'm almost always in pain. If we al go out, like to meet with Jenny after work or whatever, I have all the kids with me, but on the return trip two of the three ride back with Jenny. Allison always rides with me, she doesnt want me to be alone. We listen to music and talk... Shes also my shooting partner, she helps with video.

We were gonna shoot today, but she couldnt get ahold of this "boyfriend" whom we invited to go with us. It got too late to go out. We'll go out tomorrow yet, but I'm not waiting around for stupid face.

Allison doesnt wanna hold his hand in front of Jenny and me, and Jenny told her it was ok. So hes like, "Hey she said it was ok!" I told not to get too excited, I didnt want to have to break his arm. So when he said he wasnt afraid of me, I told him I have a bullet on the shelf for him and not to give me reason to use it. He said he still wasnt afraid. I said we would be in the woods today. With firearms. And that I'm far more capable than he is.

I may be approaching all this the wrong way, but my daughter is bein mouthy, arguing and generally less and less impressed with me.

I'm not ready for all this. Everything over the cliff all of a sudden like. Shes 12, not 20. I dont feel like I'm rediculous not allowing them to go the movies or park alone, but every conversation about "can we...?" turns into an argument about whats fair.

Cole who is about to be 15 has a girl friend now too. We saw them walking arm and arm after the football game last night. That relationship so far seems to be alot less heartache. Cole seems to know the boundaries and is content to live with them knowing that arguing wont help his cause.

I dunno... I'm stuck.

First off...I'm on your side !! I went through the same thing and it is hard to let go...!

Now...the situation you describe...her being twelve and the one most close to you...makes it all the more difficult. But, you gotta give a little...be reasonable...and realize its not YOU versus HIM...she still loves and respects you...but she's saying she wants to be her own person...and that doesn't mean she doesn't love or want to be with you anymore...so don't make it a bad thing. Make it a good thing...be supportive...ask if they need a ride to the movies or mall...and be her father, as well as her best friend...which it seems to me is the root of the problem...someone is trying to share your best friend with you...and you don't like it. Understandable...but not preventable...don't push her away !! Accept the inevitable...like the man we know you are !!
OK Bro!!

I hear ya man, thanks.

I need to find the balance and right now it feels like my brain is melting having to thoughtfully consider each phrase before I say it.

I have been going to pick him up and take him home. Took them to the movie theater here in town, I let them sit by them selves. We went to the football game last night night and they were free to hang out where ever with their friends. Which is what teenagers do at football games. After wards he came back here to hang out for awhile, then had him home by the time prescribed by his mom.

So, I'm doin what i Know to do. I just really dont need "why?" after everytime I say no and then stupid face wants to chime in too. I dont need his help parenting.

Wow .. I think I'd have a hard time not smacking that kid upside the head. Kids have no respect these days. I guarantee if I said something to one of my girlfriends fathers about their decision I'd probably get my ass beat down by him and then by my dad for being disrespectful.

I don't have girls, thank god, but I do have 3 younger sisters that I was very protective of when I was younger. Eventually I learned that I just had to let them do their own thing and let them learn their own lessons. That doesn't mean I didn't keep an eye on their boyfriends, I just did it from a distance.

I agree, respect isnt what it used to be.

Other parents tell me my kids are always polite and well behaved, please and thank you, sometimes even yes sir and ma'am.

I know I cant watch them forever... just not ready right now. It really bothers me we couldnt shoot today because we were waiting. She really is like my best friend sometimes, my shadow at other times. It feels like I'm loosing her already.

Back