• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red Dot sighting and alignment... question

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
First time shooting using a red dot mounted. Question is this:

When I shoulder the rifle my cheek weld is a little off and I peek above the rear iron sights of my Mini G I see the red dot above the front post and my target is very clear to see with both eyes open:

29402829796_c563b94651_h.jpg

This seems to be the quickest sight acquisition for me.

I've noticed that if I align my rear iron sight the red dot appears at the very tip of the front sight but because the rear sight aperture hole is so small it's tough to get quick alignment and sight acquisition to see the red dot.

When I zero in tomorrow. Should I go with the pictured view to sight in or is it recommended I zero in using the red dot aligned with the rear sight aperture?

Inquiring monkeys want to know.

Agua Mono

Don't worry about cowitnessing your sights. Do a lower 1/3 cowitness if you can. That means that the dot and sights are zeroed at the same distance, but seperately. The sights will be through the lower 1/3 of the dot's glass, and the dot would be sighted normally.

Don't worry about cowitnessing your sights. Do a lower 1/3 cowitness if you can. That means that the dot and sights are zeroed at the same distance, but seperately. The sights will be through the lower 1/3 of the dot's glass, and the dot would be sighted normally.

OK just checking because it's a low mount to begin with I wanted to make sure when I zero the red dot I am doing so appropriately. Thanks!

I usually try to make my red dot match my front sight post. For what your doing I can see the benefit of having the dot above the irons. No interference with aquisition. Bear in mind, an improper ckeek weld may leave the side of your face pretty sore at the end of an 8 hour course.

I usually try to make my red dot match my front sight post. For what your doing I can see the benefit of having the dot above the irons. No interference with aquisition. Bear in mind, an improper ckeek weld may leave the side of your face pretty sore at the end of an 8 hour course.

It's not as bad as it sounds... the cheek weld that is. I'll find out how she fairs tomorrow. For the records, I dont have a flush weld with the irons either. I'm going to play with stock placement on my shoulder and see if running it a little higher up will work. Bear in mind it's a softer shooting .308 vs 30-06 and I have a muzzle break on it as well which should take a little bite out of it.

But again, I'll find out more tomorrow. I know shooting the 30-06 with the muzzle break on did tame it alot on my shoulder.

My red dot is slightly higher than normal irons on my 930 JM Pro. I took the front sight off of my shotgun. If my optic fails, I can point shoot at the distances we normally shoot. I don't have any issues with cheek pain after a match.

Raul~

My M1A Scout, in spite of an Aimpoint T-1 mounted as low as I can go, completely blocks my irons (even a lower third co-witness).

If I bought a Sadlak handguard (very expensive) I can get the red-dot mounted lower and then can get the irons to come into view, but they still won't co-witness with the dot. They'll be in the lower third. Just shoot at the dot letting your eyes focus on the target. I don't know if you can ever see the irons aligned thru the optic to tell the truth. I hope there is some mod that'll allow that.

Have fun with that gun!!!!!

believe it or not I think because the Ultimak scout rail mounts so low coupled with the low mount the red dot comes with I can basically co-witness my irons. But knowing I can zero at lower 1/3 I will do that since it's faster target acquisition.

chewing on some eggs atm and gonna head out to the range and wait on line for an hour early to get my spot (line fills up fast, only range where you can shoot any position and steel)

Back