• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing rear sight on a 500.

Hard to tell from photo regarding mounting. Appears it might be dovetails.

Is this an aftermarket sight someone installed?

Is this a rifle barrel for shooting slugs?

Better picture and more details on type of barrel would help.

Likely soldered on or has dovetail cut in barrel. Can't tell from photo.

If in a slot it will only drive out in one direction assuming the slot was cut correctly.

More info please.

Regards

That’s one of the reasons I’m asking.
I’ve not found anything specific in my search.
I’ve read about some being soldered, but not specifically this type, I’ve read some have screws and I’ve read they can be in a dovetail and require drifting out, but not which way.
I’m hoping someone will have experience of this type of sight.

Hard to tell from photo regarding mounting. Appears it might be dovetails.

Is this an aftermarket sight someone installed?

Is this a rifle barrel for shooting slugs?

Better picture and more details on type of barrel would help.

Likely soldered on or has dovetail cut in barrel. Can't tell from photo.

If in a slot it will only drive out in one direction assuming the slot was cut correctly.

More info please.

Regards
I think it’s factory. It’s a 500 ATP.

It’s smooth bore, not a rifled barrel.

I think I can see the dovetail now, is it an interference fit, which way will it come out?

That’s something that you don’t see every day.
Dodge. Can you take a few more pics? Close ups on the sight in the barrel from both sides. Also a couple of the sight with it up and down.
The dovetail would suggest that it’s meant to be adjusted one way or the other.

Pictures please!

If a dovetail best to measure each side of the slot. If the slot was cut correctly it will only come out one way without damage.

Use a brass punch and hammer. Best to tape the barrel around the sight in case your punch slips.

Regards

I’ll get it out and take a couple of pictures.

I doubt I can measure the difference in one side or the other. I don’t have a caliper here.

Is there a normal in and out direction?

Typically a dovetail sight is removed from Left to Right with the muzzle pointed away from you.

Hopefully better pictures will confirm. I doubt it's brazed on but sometimes if no dovetail slot there is a hidden screw below the adjuster mechanism. Most of these sights have a slide elevation mechanism which can be removed to access a hidden screw. If so, the barrel will be drilled and tapped simular to installing a rail.

However, an inspection and pictures should reveal how it's mounted.

Regards

Not the best pictures, daylight would be better.
But looking at the pictures zoomed in it does look dovetailed.

It’s a shame, because I actually like the sight. But parts over here are next to nonexistent.
178194D4-50D2-484C-A222-C3DA085A00AB.jpeg 2C44724E-E37C-4F0A-9A36-4517F9637496.jpeg 41D9FE5F-9400-471E-8584-F59836B30C28.jpeg 4AAE5BFB-82BC-49CC-8218-C22D553B92C5.jpeg E54D43BA-1E1D-49E7-BFEB-843D385CCB05.jpeg B3B65ACC-552E-4E45-8A15-BA80748EE17A.jpeg

Agree, it's dovetailed. Not sure what part is missing or broken that you need parts for?

Typically easy to fabricate small parts with common tools or pieces scavenged from other sources.

Not sure of you location in the world but most places will have gunsmiths or machinists around.

Let us know if we can help.

Regards

Good news is that it doesn’t look like there is any soldering or weld in play. To me it looks like it is drift adjustable. Take a a small hammer and a wooden dowel and take a few taps to see if you can move it. From the pics I would start tapping it from left to right (muzzle pointed down range). As Ernst mentioned please look for any lock down fasteners that may give you a problem.

Before you start anything. Ask yourself why are you doing this?

This picture shows the problem best. One of the ears has broken off. The left as you look down the gun. 1E7138B5-E350-4534-9668-E844992E8D15.jpeg 9EE343FE-B826-4B2D-A1FC-F57BAE133D18.jpeg

Ok I see it. Question. Can you find a new flip up blade? Maybe you can just change that part and leave the sight “base” in place?

Dodge, two ideas to consider

1. Take a small washer and using JB weld or epoxy and glue it on to the existing blade forming a simple peep sight. Just would need to get the center the washer at correct height.

2. Remove the blade not the base and find a piece of tubing the same size as the pivot pin. To the tubing braze or weld a flat piece of metal and use common tools, likes a file, to cut a slot to the same height as the original.

Good part you have the pattern so just copy the good half.

Good luck!

Dodge, two ideas to consider

1. Take a small washer and using JB weld or epoxy and glue it on to the existing blade forming a simple peep sight. Just would need to get the center the washer at correct height.

2. Remove the blade not the base and find a piece of tubing the same size as the pivot pin. To the tubing braze or weld a flat piece of metal and use common tools, likes a file, to cut a slot to the same height as the original.

Good part you have the pattern so just copy the good half.

Good luck!
Good ideas.

If I can take the pin out I could take the flip up to a machine shop and get a new one made.

I’d give Mossberg service a call and see if they have this part kicking around in a bin somewhere. It’s a long shot but worth the dime. If not then I’m sure a local gunsmith could make something. If all else fails it looks like the sight itself is still useful but down a wing.

Back