• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing the castle nut

The 590A1 comes with a castle nut to attach teh collapsing stock onto the gun. Anyone know what tool should be used to remove this properly? I a strong believer in being able to mantain my own equipment, so I want the right tools.

I'd almost have to see a pic, and Dan will likely know better...

But! I'll venture a guess! ;)

If the castle nut has narrow "inset" spaces, you can lay an allen key across it. Thats my best guess... It works on the action slide tube nut! :D

The nut is on the front of the stock directly behind the grip. I won't be able to even get the trigger group out without removing the stock, it covers the rear of the assembly.

2011-05-31000518.jpg

2011-05-31001037.jpg

The correct wrench is called a spanner wrench and they come in different sizes and they ain't cheap.
Now- the easy way to do this is to use a small punch, preferably nylon or brass. Place it on the edge of one of the keyways and tap firmly counter-clockwise. about an 1/8 or 1/4 turn and it should be loose enough to turn by hand. Re-install the same way, tapping it clockwise.

I have read that the wrench for an AR-15 should work. I am going to try and check it out with the dealer and see if they have one to check the fit. I saw a few of them online for less than $20.

If I find anything I'll bump it here.

i made my own. it's just an old handle for a grinder and some metal stock i bent and cut up...then i dipped it in liquid rubber.

This is what I came across during my searches online. It is a product made by Tapco. I just don't know if it fits the dimentions of the particular nut on the Mossberg. This particular one only sells for $7-9US

RSR-TINTOOL904.jpg

Product Specifications
Part Number: 34-305
Item Package Quantity: 1
Item Dimensions
Weight: 9.60 Ounces
Length: 7 inches
Width: 2.50 inches
Height: 0.25 inches
Technical Details

Capacity: 1-1/4" to 3"
Hook specifications: thickness is 13/32", depth is 5/32" and length is 8-1/8"
Made in the U.S.A.
Proudly made in the USA with a lifetime warranty

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
This adjustable hook spanner wrench is made with a black oxide finish.
Product Description

Black oxide
Capacity: 1-1/4"-3"
Thickness: 13/32"
Depth: 5/32"
Length: 8-1/8"
Weight: .53

Product Details

Product Dimensions: 7 x 2.5 x 0.2 inches ; 9.6 ounces
Shipping Weight: 3.6 pounds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it doesn't say if it's made out of metal.(i would think it is.) that's all the info they had on the page.
i'll check around on it more to see the manufacturer's page, then i'll post what i find.

OK..it is metal. ferrous, hence the words "black oxide" coating. black oxide is a conversion coating for ferrous materials, copper and copper based alloys, zinc, powdered metals, and silver solder. i found the manufacturer's page. (easy) if you'd like to see different sizes. maybe one of the four offered will help you out.

http://www.armstrongtools.com/ECommerce/Category.aspx

hope it works for ya.

ripjack13 said:
OK..it is metal. ferrous, hence the words "black oxide" coating. black oxide is a conversion coating for ferrous materials, copper and copper based alloys, zinc, powdered metals, and silver solder. i found the manufacturer's page. (easy) if you'd like to see different sizes. maybe one of the four offered will help you out.

http://www.armstrongtools.com/ECommerce/Category.aspx

hope it works for ya.

Thanks for putting the effort forward! I will be looking into those after I get home tonight. I really need to get a measurement on that nut as well.

Holiday weekend got me all messed up this week. lol

anytime. lemme know how it turns (get it?) out....

I still haven't picked up any tool, but I did get a responce from Mossberg customer support. They said the nut should be "hand tight".

Uhhh, No. ended up using a punch and getting it into one of the grooves and getting it started with a mallet. *cringes* It took a good 1/4 turn before it broke free.

This is a tough month for me and my toys, Laconia motorcycle week starts this weekend...

So little money, so many things I want... :lol:

I won't say "I told you so"........ but....it always works. You can go broke buying tools for only one specific purpose. Being a "purist" is fine ...if you can afford it! To avoid marring the piece find a short plastic rod about 1/4 or3/8 dia. about 4" long. Tap it to lock it down and it will be easy to remove when you need to in the future. A little light grease on the threads will help. You would be surprised how tight you can make it with just a few raps with the rod. It the rod breaks- who cares. You might try a wood dowel also now that you have it loosened up. (BTW_ the adjustable spanners are lousy to try and use)

Back