• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reply from Sen Wicker - MS

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I mentioned the other day that I had inquired about his vote to move the gun control legislation forward for floor debate. Here's his reply. Seems reasonable.

Also, here's the Bill as it will be debated. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s ... 649pcs.pdf

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the constitutional right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. I am glad to have the benefit of your views on this important issue.

Since coming to Congress in 1995, I have consistently voted to protect our Second Amendment freedoms and will continue to do so. On April 11, 2013, I supported, along with 15 other Republican Senators, a procedural motion on debating S. 649, the so-called Safe Schools Act.

I believe that S. 649 is deeply flawed legislation, and I oppose the measure. However, this vote signals the opening of a robust debate that will put the Senate on record regarding a basic constitutional right. Far from shrinking from it, I welcome such a discussion and believe it is long overdue.

The Founding Fathers conceived of the U.S. Senate as the proper forum for public deliberation of this kind. Law-abiding gun owners should not be put on the defensive when it comes to a fundamental American freedom.

In addition, contrary to the intent of the bill's authors, bringing this measure to the floor gives us the opportunity to vote to add provisions to strengthen gun rights, such as an amendment to protect veterans from unfair restrictions when purchasing a firearm. I would filibuster passage of a final bill that contained any increased, gun restrictions or a weapons ban.

I have worked to protect and preserve the Second Amendment. Rather than adding new laws and regulatory burdens, Congress should focus on ways to make existing laws more effective. The goal should be to increase safety and punish criminals – not unfairly hurt law-abiding gun owners.

Be assured that as Congress considers gun control legislation I will continue to defend our right to bear arms. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

With best wishes, I am

Sincerely yours,
Roger F. Wicker
U.S. Senate

Sounds like he has his head on straight.

Our side needs more of him. I wonder if he'd like to move to Ct to straighten ol mumbles Malloy out.

Sounds like a good guy, now lets see how he plays it out. ;)

S. 649 will be voted on next week according to NRA-ILA. Probably Tuesday, which means very little time for debate. A few hours at most. Start making those calls, and sending those emails.

On April 11, by a vote of 68-31, the U.S. Senate voted to move forward with debate and votes on a variety of gun control proposals.

The underlying bill that will be considered by the Senate is S. 649, the so-called "Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013." A number of amendments will be offered to S. 649, including a ban on commonly and lawfully-owned firearms and magazines and language to criminalize the private transfer of firearms and force gun owners to get government permission to transfer guns to friends after "advertising" that might be as little as a Facebook post or a listing in a gun club newsletter. This language--a misguided "compromise" proposal drafted by Senators Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)--would be proposed as an alternative to Sen. Schumer's background check provisions that are currently in the bill.

NRA's position on these proposals is unmistakably clear--we are unequivocally opposed to S. 649, the amendments mentioned above, and any other anti-gun amendments. As we have noted previously, expanding background checks at gun shows or elsewhere will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools. Given the importance of these issues, votes on all anti-gun amendments or proposals will be considered in NRA's future candidate evaluations.

If the Senate is truly concerned about enhancing safety, rather than political grandstanding, it will replace the current provisions of S. 649 with language that is properly focused on addressing mental health inadequacies; prosecuting violent criminals; and keeping our kids safe in their schools.

The next round of votes on these measures is likely to occur on Tuesday, April 16.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/feder ... ever!.aspx

Back